PDA

View Full Version : Poplar Night Stands

Gordon Eyre
08-02-2012, 7:09 PM
I built two night stands for my married daughter. She wanted to have them painted so I built them out of Poplar. After she saw the completed project she changed her mind and asked that I finish them with a stain or dye and then varnish. Had I known that at the beginning I would have chosen a different wood to build them out of. In any event I did some research and testing and settled on an Aniline dye and a wipe on varnish. This seemed to give the least amount of blotching.

Well to make a long story short, I did not like the blotchiness of the bottom but the top seemed to come out fairly well. I went ahead and sealed the dye with Shellac and then called my daughter and explained my dilema. Actually it was worse than that as I hated the blotching and so we settled on a painted bottom and a finished top. She chose an ivory color.

Here is my project:

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/145158304/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/145158308/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/145158310/original.jpg

There are 58 mortise and tennon joints in this project, some of which I cut by hand just to keep my skills up. I did learn one thing in building this project and that is never to choose a dark stain when building a project with poplar.

Larry Frank
08-02-2012, 8:29 PM
Those are very nice looking night stands and I bet someone is very happy with them. Now, I would expect and request for some more nice furniture.

Jerry Thompson
08-02-2012, 9:34 PM
Gordon, excellent execution. I finished a poplar blanket chest with Gereral Finishes WB dye. I used charles Neil's bloth control and the piece looks like cherry.

Sam Murdoch
08-02-2012, 9:51 PM
Those are sweet!

Gordon Eyre
08-02-2012, 9:57 PM
Those are very nice looking night stands and I bet someone is very happy with them. Now, I would expect and request for some more nice furniture.
I have a large family and more requests than I can handle. :)

Gordon, excellent execution. I finished a poplar blanket chest with Gereral Finishes WB dye. I used charles Neil's bloth control and the piece looks like cherry.
I have heard good things about Charles Neill's blotch control but did not have time to wait for the shipping. I do plan to get some. Thanks for the compliment Jerry.

Those are sweet!
Thanks Sam.

gary Zimmel
08-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Nice work on the night stands Gordon.And even with a little mission flair. Right up my alley....I bet your daughter is real happy with them.

Gordon Eyre
08-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Nice work on the night stands Gordon.And even with a little mission flair. Right up my alley....I bet your daughter is real happy with them.
Well I will find out tomorrow night as she is coming by the house. Thanks for your nice comment.

Jack Camillo
08-03-2012, 5:24 AM
Those are marvelous. I see a nautical craftsman style in them. Love the 'bright' tops with the painted structure. And wow on the number of MT joints! Thanks for sharing.

Bill Rogers
08-03-2012, 7:34 AM
I don't know which one is nicer, the workmanship or the finish! Nice job!!

Paul Saffold
08-03-2012, 8:42 AM
Those came out very nice, Gordon. I like the paint/natural combination.
What brand of dye did you use? What color. Do you have a photo of the top from above? How about one showing the base dyed before the paint? As I mentioned before, I am building a bookcase from poplar and have been reading what others on SMC have used for dye.
Thanks, Paul

glenn bradley
08-03-2012, 9:31 AM
The paint and dye combo came out great. I have read many folks say that poplar takes colors well but, this has not been my experience. Your material has much less grey/green than the stuff I get out here and that would certainly help. The color you got for the top offset by the ivory is just perfect IMHO.

Phil Thien
08-03-2012, 9:44 AM
They look outstanding. Thankfully the stain worked out on top, right? The combination of stained/painted is fantastic, probably better than all stain, or all painted, I think (just my personal opinion).

Do you have any pictures of the bottom stain with blotches? Just kind of wondering what to expect. I've heard of others staining poplar, but kind of hit or miss.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! And again, great job.

Mark Valsi
08-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Nice save !

Gordon Eyre
08-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Those are marvelous. I see a nautical craftsman style in them. Love the 'bright' tops with the painted structure. And wow on the number of MT joints! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Jack, the project was more time consuming that I had anticipated when I started out.

I don't know which one is nicer, the workmanship or the finish! Nice job!!
Thanks Bill.

Those came out very nice, Gordon. I like the paint/natural combination.
What brand of dye did you use? What color. Do you have a photo of the top from above? How about one showing the base dyed before the paint? As I mentioned before, I am building a bookcase from poplar and have been reading what others on SMC have used for dye.
Thanks, Paul
Hi Paul, I am glad that you saw this thread. The legs on the project were particularly bad and I did not like the look at all. The only picture I have of the bottom stained is a cell phone image. I will take on of the top with my camera later today and post it to this thread. If I were you I would look into Charles Neill blotch control. I just didn't have the time to wait for the shipping or I would have used that myself. Good luck on your bookcase.

The paint and dye combo came out great. I have read many folks say that poplar takes colors well but, this has not been my experience. Your material has much less grey/green than the stuff I get out here and that would certainly help. The color you got for the top offset by the ivory is just perfect IMHO.
I hear you Glenn, I was really dissappointed with the way the Poplar blotched up on me. I had carefully picked out the boards to avoid as much green as I could; however, that was not possible for the legs since I was able to pick up an 8/4 x 12" x 7' piece for $5.00. It was left over from a large order at the lumber yard and they made me a deal.

They look outstanding. Thankfully the stain worked out on top, right? The combination of stained/painted is fantastic, probably better than all stain, or all painted, I think (just my personal opinion).

Do you have any pictures of the bottom stain with blotches? Just kind of wondering what to expect. I've heard of others staining poplar, but kind of hit or miss.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! And again, great job.
Hi Phil, see above for the answer to your reqest for a picture of the stained bottom. Thanks for your nice comments on my project.

Nice save !

Thanks Mark, appreciate it.

Sean Hughto
08-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Looking good! I misread the title of the OP as "Popular Night Stands." As I read, I kept waiting to hear about their popularity, even though you started talking about Poplar almost immediately. Duh ....

I bet they will be popular!

Gordon Eyre
08-03-2012, 1:14 PM
Per the request of several or you I have taken an image of the top of the nightstand. You will note that it has some blotchiness; however, I felt that this was acceptable.

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/145169794/original.jpg

Paul Saffold
08-03-2012, 2:23 PM
Thanks Gordon. Unfortunately I've seen much worse. What dye did you use? Thanks.
Paul

Gordon Eyre
08-03-2012, 3:29 PM
Looking good! I misread the title of the OP as "Popular Night Stands." As I read, I kept waiting to hear about their popularity, even though you started talking about Poplar almost immediately. Duh ....

I bet they will be popular!
Thanks Sean, I hope they are popular as well. :)

Thanks Gordon. Unfortunately I've seen much worse. What dye did you use? Thanks.
Paul
I used an aniline dye that was my own mix of brown mahogany and just I pinch of French walnut.

Gary Pennington
08-03-2012, 9:27 PM
Excellent work, love the contrast between the paint and stained surfaces.
Gary

Gordon Eyre
08-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Excellent work, love the contrast between the paint and stained surfaces.
Gary
Thanks Gary, I was happy with the way they turned out.

Jim Matthews
08-04-2012, 8:33 AM
This is a subtle contrast - is the ivory lightly tinted, or is that the lighting in your shop?

For one, I think the tops are sharp as they are. It's impressive that you can generate that sort of depth
from Poplar. My mentor has the same sort of mastery of dyes applied to Northern pine species.

Well done.

jim
wpt, ma

Keith Christopher
08-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Gordon,

I like the design and the wood. They look really good. One thing I like about poplar is that no only does it take paint well, but it can also -if selected well- can be used in its natural form. The splotches aren't that bad but if you want to correct (or if you even have time) sand 'em down and put a sealer coat of shellac on them and re-stain. Alot like cherry.

I like the design and I am sure she will love them!

great job.

Gordon Eyre
08-04-2012, 10:59 AM
This is a subtle contrast - is the ivory lightly tinted, or is that the lighting in your shop?

For one, I think the tops are sharp as they are. It's impressive that you can generate that sort of depth
from Poplar. My mentor has the same sort of mastery of dyes applied to Northern pine species.

Well done.

jim
wpt, ma
Thanks Jim, I am a fan of aniline dye as it gives great clarity. I am certain that trans tint dye would do the same thing. After applying the dye I sealed it with shellac and then several coats of varnish. As to the color tint that you mention, I have fluorescent lights in my shop and they do cause a color cast.

Gordon,

I like the design and the wood. They look really good. One thing I like about poplar is that no only does it take paint well, but it can also -if selected well- can be used in its natural form. The splotches aren't that bad but if you want to correct (or if you even have time) sand 'em down and put a sealer coat of shellac on them and re-stain. Alot like cherry.

I like the design and I am sure she will love them!

great job.
i tried several test pieces of a shellac sealer coat and three different types of stain, including a gel stain and they all blotched badly. That is the reason that I went with a dye as it tested the best.

Thanks for you comments.

Paul Cahill
08-04-2012, 2:23 PM
Great job Gordon, well done. I like the design, is it something you came up with?

I am most impressed with all the M&T joints.

Paul

Gordon Eyre
08-04-2012, 2:51 PM
Great job Gordon, well done. I like the design, is it something you came up with?

I am most impressed with all the M&T joints.

Paul
Hi Paul, it is a plan that was in Woodsmith magazine but I modified it for my own use. Thanks for the compliment.

Kevin Godshall
08-09-2012, 2:05 PM
Well done, sir. I'm very impressed with your raw product, as well as your finished one.

Now, I need to quickly close this page and shut off my computer before the wife sees this and she wants one............

Kent A Bathurst
08-09-2012, 4:58 PM
Looks great, Gordon.

On the backstory, I can see one of two things having happened.

She might not have had much faith in your skills, and figured putty and paint would cure all ills.

Or, she has a problem making up her dad-gum mind.

In either case, I'd have to say it is all on her....you should 'splain it to her that way. :D :D

Kent A Bathurst
08-09-2012, 5:10 PM
Looks great, Gordon.

She might not have had much faith in your skills, and figured putty and paint would cure all ills.

In either case, I'd have to say it is all on her....you should 'splain it to her that way. :D :D

Gene Davis
08-09-2012, 7:51 PM
I use a wooden version of a tabletop fastener for tops like seen in these nightstands. Done this way, it only takes a short screwdriver and a minute to remove the top.

With the top removed, one could turn those poplar slabs into firewood and remake the tops in walnut or cherry. Or riftsawn red oak, that would be nice, dyed, glazed, then clearcoated.

Just my two cents. Nice looking furniture!

Gordon Eyre
08-09-2012, 9:31 PM
Looks great, Gordon.

Actually she is a great daughter and would have taken them either way. When push gets to shove it was me that did not like the bottoms stained. My daughter loves the night stands.

I use a wooden version of a tabletop fastener for tops like seen in these nightstands. Done this way, it only takes a short screwdriver and a minute to remove the top.

With the top removed, one could turn those poplar slabs into firewood and remake the tops in walnut or cherry. Or riftsawn red oak, that would be nice, dyed, glazed, then clearcoated.

Just my two cents. Nice looking furniture!
My daughter has already taken delivery and loves them. :)