PDA

View Full Version : Sources of Wood

Greg Hairston
04-10-2005, 11:20 AM
I am just getting into turning and I am looking for bowl blanks. I went to a local wood supplier and their blanks were a bit expensive (IMHO) and all kiln dried. So my question is to all you bowl turners, turning these beautiful bowls, where do you get the wood.

Greg

Kurt Forbes
04-10-2005, 12:11 PM
from the side of the road :cool:

With the recent storms in your area you should have a ton of wood laying all over grab a chain saw and remember to offer to help the land owner out with clearing that nasty wood for him :)

Glenn Hodges
04-10-2005, 1:48 PM
Friday I spent some time with a land owner offering me 2 40 in. diameter sycamores with lots of red in them he had just cut down, a 40 ft. tall large persimmon, and lots of wild black cherry. I had to decline on the cherry because I have so much of it now. Greg, I will make him a free bowl from each tree he gives me. If you do this the word will get out and you will have more wood than you can use.

Jim Becker
04-10-2005, 3:04 PM
The only turning stock you really need to buy is exotics and burls...and maybe some species that don't grow in your area. Otherwise, there are tons of free sources. Get to know one or more local tree pros and keep your eyes open...there is great material "everywhere"...literally. Even in your firewood pile.

Raymond Overman
04-11-2005, 7:22 AM
Greg,

Any good amateur woodturner is also a good beggar. Ask and ye shall receive. As other's in this thread have mentioned, you can pick up turning stock from neighbors, tree pros, and even the dump in some areas. All you have to do is have a chainsaw and ask. Slab that local sawmills sell as firewood can make a nice platter or shallow bowl and is cheap for learning.

As you get into your turning obsession you'll start to notice trees that have characteristics that you would like. All you have to do is find who owns them, and ask. Then a little roadside arbory is all it takes.

I asked a guy about some cherry trees with burls in his side yard and told him "If" he ever wanted to take them down, I'd be glad to help him. He told me that it wouldn't affect his landscape if I took them right then so go ahead. Of course I had my chainsaw in the Jeep. Just be careful that the tree isn't near anything important. I don't mess with anything that might be considered a risk for a lawsuit, such as a tree near a house.

Keith Nielsen
04-11-2005, 5:55 PM
Greg,

I have to agree fully with the posts. Last week I ran into a friend of mine that was removing a huge Cotton wood It had great burrels and 24" round segments I could get for some big stuff. My other friend is taking out a Chinese Elm next week. You should see the burrels on that thing. The best is road side wood and the friendly town prunner. Of course it always helps to offer a bowl or two in return for all this bounty. Believe me giving up a bowl or two is nothing compaired to the return on your investment.

Good luck looking for that GOOD WOOD!!!

Keith