PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Finish

Bob Yarbrough
04-10-2005, 10:47 AM
My wife & I saw some breadboards that were works of art at a gallery in a small SE Wisconsin town. They were in the shape of an artist's pallet?, the thing an artist mixes his/her's color on, rounded in shape, oval thumbhole. The "breadboards" were +/- 1/2" thick in the center and tapered to +/- 1/8" at the edges. Upon close examination, the wood was a glued up blank of birds eye maple.

I understand that the rough shape could be achieved with rasps and sanding, but how is the ultra smooth glass like finish achieved? The creator noted that the boards were "sealed" with bees wax!?!

Of course I had to grab a nice piece of maple and add such a project to the want to do list. Any ideas on how to acheive such a lustrous and smooth finish??

Jim Becker
04-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Sand up through about 1200 with micromesh...that pretty much "burnishes" the surface to a gleam, something you can do with very hard, dense, closed-grain species. Turners often do this as a "finish".

Bob Yarbrough
04-10-2005, 2:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like I'm going to be doing a lot of sanding in the near future (sanding on my first "blanket chest" today)! :D