PDA

View Full Version : Nemesis

Olaf Vogel
08-02-2012, 10:18 AM
So I "might" have been a little too ambitious on this endeavor.....

Last year, the school across the road cut down a very old hazelnut tree - according to the arborists, the largest they'd seen. Of course I grabbed all the main chunks.
I'd always wanted to do some really large pieces and this was my golden chance.

The logs only had to be moved about 100 yards, but even with a hand cart it was a huge effort. The largest one, I had to roll across the road - there was no way of moving it any other way.
I was in great shape, and like a typical guy, I figured "I can do that! OK, I'll be a bit sore tomorrow, but just suck it up".
Well....I seriously hurt my back, ended up with 2 herniated disks and am still slowly recovering. Stupid.

Then this beast sat in my back yard for several months and taunted me....while I crept around the house with an ice pack on my back and slunk off to the chiro.

Feeling better last week, I decided to get the monkey off my back.
After learning what a "rucker" is and how they do their jobs, I picked up a lot of info on how to move big, heavy items - safely.
I got it into the workshop and mounted onto the lathe, this time, using a ton of ropes, pulleys and (this time) my brains - not my back.

Hand lifting was definitely not an option so I mounted a double winch system off the ceiling to raise and align this beast. Surprisingly it worked well.
The edges had been chopped off and rounded out as best as possible with my rudimentary chainsaw skills. But it was still a huge effort to get it balanced enough to spin.

After that, things went well, but took a few days. I created 4 leaf bags of shavings and blew out 4 wheels on my steady rest from the weight. And learned how awesomely strong the Oneway Stronghold chuck is. Hollowing was tricky since this is by far the deepest I've ever gone. But a light touch and some precautions and it worked out.

4 days later I'd happily conquered my nemesis.

Even at this stage its still 24" x 24" and 75 lbs with 2" thick walls - soaking wet. For obvious reasons, I never weighed the original blank.
Usually I commandeer the kitchen scale to weigh my pieces, but wisely opted for the bathroom scale instead.

Now to wait 3-4 months til this sucker dries out. Based on the previous one, it should loose about 50% of the weight by then.
I successfully finished bowl from the same tree, in the same diameter and dried it without cracking. So I'm optimistic.

This project definitely taught me a lot about safe practices OFF the lathe as well as on.
I told my (very supportive) fiancee, that next time I come with such a silly idea, please smack me in the head and tell me to contemplate that again over another beer....

Steve Schlumpf
08-02-2012, 10:52 AM
That's cool! Bet when you hold it up to your ear - you can hear the ocean!!

Hope your back heals quickly and the form dries without checking! Looking forward to seeing it once finished!

Deane Allinson
08-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Great piece! I like it the way it is now. Thick walls, no finish, rough exterior. Nice piece. I would call it done.
Deane

David Dobbs
08-02-2012, 11:08 AM
great piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! neat lathe also.

Richard Coers
08-02-2012, 11:11 AM
With 2" thick walls, I'd get that thing under water or alcohol, RIGHT NOW! I started to loose an 18" soft maple bowl to a rim check with less than 1/2" wall in a double landscape paper bag. I had to remount it and shorten the bowl to save it. Good luck.

Roger Chandler
08-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Great Story! Glad you are on the mend.....just keep it that way! What kind of lathe is that beast you have there?

Jim Burr
08-02-2012, 1:24 PM
Wow!!! That should dry about the time your back heals up! Gonna look great when it's done!

Olaf Vogel
08-02-2012, 2:49 PM
Thanks guys!

Dean, the colors and patterns of the hazelnut are SOOO nice, that I just have to polish it up.

Richard, the whole thing is covered in Anchor seal and in a yard bag - same as I did on this bowl and that worked.

The lathe is one that I restored a couple of years ago when I couldn't afford a big Oneway. Lots of effort, but it gives me freedom to do some things that smaller ones can't. Details can be found at http:// vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=14788. And many thanks to the guys on OWWM.Org for their advice.

Mike Cruz
08-02-2012, 7:52 PM
Best of luck with the back! I like your write up/story on OWWM. This piece is looking great. Can't wait to see it finished. Looks like there is some figure in there!

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Great looking piece. Should be beautiful when finished.

Kathy Marshall
08-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Wow! Those are a couple of big'uns! The bowl looks great as does the vase, look forward to seeing it finished in a few months!