PDA

View Full Version : Riser Block and Carter Guides for my Jet 14" BS - Good Investment?

Glen Blanchard
04-10-2005, 7:50 AM
I need to get a riser block for my Jet 14" bansdsaw and thought this might be a good time to also get the Carter guides as well. In doing my due diligence, I have read some posts that question if the Carther guides provide a benefit for the 14" saws. I know that the extra room the riser block will provide will be a smart investment, but are the benefits of Carter guides somehow lost on a lowly 14" bandsaw?

Todd Burch
04-10-2005, 8:20 AM
I owned a Jet 14" for a few years. I put both the Jet Riser Block and Carter guides on it. The saw performed satisfactory with 1/2" and 3/4" bands. With narrow bands, even with the replacement Guides, it never did do well - anytime I had to back out of a cut, the band would come off the top wheel. It was a pain.

I bought the "Bandsaw Book", figuring I could use that procedure to make the wheels coplanar, but that book, while it attempted to be written generically, did not apply to the Jet as the top wheel was not adjustable for coplaniarity (word?).

I even tried shimming the riser block, but it was futile. Smarter people than I might have figured it out, but I didn't.

Doug Shepard
04-10-2005, 8:21 AM
I need to get a riser block for my Jet 14" bansdsaw and thought this might be a good time to also get the Carter guides as well. In doing my due diligence, I have read some posts that question if the Carther guides provide a benefit for the 14" saws. I know that the extra room the riser block will provide will be a smart investment, but are the benefits of Carter guides somehow lost on a lowly 14" bandsaw?

I've done both mods to my Jet. I'd say yes to the riser block and maybe to the Carter guides. If you've got extra cash burning a hole in your pocket, go ahead and get them. I think you'll get a slight improvement in blade tracking and a noticable decrease in noise. But in hindsight, do I think the original blocks gave me an unsatisfactory cut or less accurate resaw cutting than the Carters?? Honestly, I don't think so.

Jim Wolfe
04-10-2005, 9:57 AM
Glen I did the update on my Jet 14" band saw just as you are talking about it, only difference I used the carter style guides that Jet offered. What a difference it made . Also I added a Jet fence . Not only did it improve the cut on the saw but when resawing almost no drift at all. The guides are a little noisy but I can live with that. I still want to add link belts to the saw to smooth out the vibration from the belt. I priced out all the parts on Amazon and my local Woodcraft matched the prices. If I remember it cost me less than 250.00 to do the up grades on the saw , Riser block, Carter style Jet guides, and a Jet band saw fence.

Glen Blanchard
04-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Glen I did the update on my Jet 14" band saw just as you are talking about it, only difference I used the carter style guides that Jet offered.

Is an allen wrench needed to adjust the Carter bearings? That would seem like a hassle.

Jim Wolfe
04-10-2005, 6:00 PM
Yes you do need an allen wrench to adjust the guides , I find it much easyer to adjust than using the standard guide blocks that come on the machine, it only takes a min or two to adjust all six bearings. If you would like pictures I could post some.
Jim

Joseph N. Myers
04-10-2005, 7:31 PM
You may want to checkout Iturra Design, 888-722-7078, email: KALL@comcast.net, no web address. Louis Iturra is a wealth of knowledge and the catalog is unbelievable, i.e., everything you wanted to know about band saws and more.

I bought their "bandrollers" some 7 years ago ($58.00) and they have been great. They did get a good review from FWW a couple of years ago. I also bought their guidepost counter balancer, $46, no more crashing down on your work or fingers. And top finish it off, their high tension springs, $16, needed back then but Jet upgraded their springs so not sure now needed (check with Louis).

Iturra now carries additional items too lightly to go into but check their catalog; they even have products by Carter, Incra, Lenox and Starrett. BTW, one of the better things out there now is "blade tension Indicators" which are expensive. Iturra sells 3 of them, theirs at $135, Starrett at $320 and Lenox at $250.

Again, I highly recommend getting their catalog. Its well worth reading and even includes a large section on books and the history of both Delta and Jet.

Regards, Joe

Mark Singer
04-10-2005, 7:53 PM
I kinda think your chasing your tail...next you will ned a bigger motor and you will still have a 14" bandsaw. That is a great bandsaw and I still have one and use it all the time, in fact I love it. I put the money into a resawing bandsaw, a 20" Agazanni and use it for resaw and the bigger cuts...the 14" Jet has a small blade and is a great second bandsaw for smaller work

Mike Cutler
04-10-2005, 8:03 PM
Glen. I'm with Mark on this one. I have the Jet 14" with the riser block, Carter guides and the Iturra spring. I added these after market components in an attempt to be able to resaw. The results were so-so, and in the end I bought a Rikon 18" for resawing. I still have the Jet because it's a great machine, but the money spent on the riser, guides, spring and the assortment of blades would have been better spent going towards a bigger bandsaw.
I know that a lot of folks have been able to get good resaw performance out of the Jet, but I couldn't. I did end up with a very well tuned bandsaw though, so maybe in the end it was worth it. ;)

Glen Blanchard
04-11-2005, 9:36 AM
I kinda think your chasing your tail...

I can remember when it was not MY tail I was chasing!!!! :D

I agree with you Mark and Mike, but unfortunately a dedicated resaw BS is not going to happen - but I would love the convenience of 2 bandsaws. I have a TS, BS, jointer, planer, drill press, belt sander, drum sander, router table, compound miter saw, air compressor and 2 dust collectors in a one car garage. I have no more room so I must make do with what I have. :(

I am definitely going to get the riser for my Jet BS as I really need the extra room - I just cannot make up my mind on the Carter guides (this group seems to be equally divided on their usefulness on a 14" BS).

James Carmichael
04-11-2005, 10:46 AM
I kinda think your chasing your tail...next you will ned a bigger motor and you will still have a 14" bandsaw. That is a great bandsaw and I still have one and use it all the time, in fact I love it. I put the money into a resawing bandsaw, a 20" Agazanni and use it for resaw and the bigger cuts...the 14" Jet has a small blade and is a great second bandsaw for smaller work

I'll ditto what Mark said. I have a 14" Ridgid, not too different from your Jet. Now I was extremely lucky and got it and the riser block on closeout, but I've been looking at other enhancements, bigger motor, carbide blade, etc, and finally decided I would be better off saving that money for a bigger saw.

Phil Bua
12-05-2008, 1:56 PM
Glen I did the update on my Jet 14" band saw just as you are talking about it, only difference I used the carter style guides that Jet offered. What a difference it made . Also I added a Jet fence . Not only did it improve the cut on the saw but when resawing almost no drift at all. The guides are a little noisy but I can live with that. I still want to add link belts to the saw to smooth out the vibration from the belt. I priced out all the parts on Amazon and my local Woodcraft matched the prices. If I remember it cost me less than 250.00 to do the up grades on the saw , Riser block, Carter style Jet guides, and a Jet band saw fence.

Jim,
I am thinking of getting the riser block for my Jet band saw. Currently, the saw blade that I am using is 93 1/2". What is the size of the saw blade that I would need with the riser block?

thanks,
Phil

Jim Wolfe
12-07-2008, 8:44 PM
Phil ,
I haven't change a blade in sometime as my wife and I have started a Embroidery Business and havent been in the shop in quite a while but if my memory serves me correctly it was a 105 1/2 .
Jim

Steve Griffin
12-07-2008, 9:12 PM
Absolutely get a bigger bandsaw if you do a lot of resaw.

But if you are like me, and only resaw once in a while, a 14" with riser block, carter guides and good quality blades is the ticket. I've resawed 10" hard maple with no problems.

Don't hesitate because of the longer blade length either--I figure they just stay sharp a little longer than a shorter blade since each tooth does a little less work and stays just a little cooler.

-Steve

Steve Mellott
12-08-2008, 6:07 PM
I added the riser block to my Jet 14" bandsaw earlier this year. If I had a "do-over" I would sell the 14" saw and buy a larger saw with a larger motor. I just didn't get the resaw capability that I thought I would.

Howard Acheson
12-08-2008, 8:33 PM
A couple of years ago, Fine Woodworking did comparison test and analysis of guides for 14 delta clone bandsaws. Their conclusion was that the best all round guides were Cool Blocks. Cool blocks provided the most support as they are set up touching the blade. They also provide support closest to the work surface.

Large roller guides were noisy, moved the blade support point quite a bit further from the work surface and were not good for narrown blades. In addition, the roller guides were easily damaged it the blade mistracked and the blade was also damaged.

For a saw dedicated to resawing, the much smaller bandrollers worked well with wide blades.

All in all, the Cool Blocks were best and they were also the most cost effective.

Mike Wellner
12-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Who makes an good aftermarket riser block for the Delta 14" bandsaw? Im going to also throw in some Carter bearings.

Cary Falk
12-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Who makes an good aftermarket riser block for the Delta 14" bandsaw? Im going to also throw in some Carter bearings.
Only Delta makes the riser block for the Delta. It runs about $100.

Pat Moy
12-09-2008, 12:35 AM
I agree with Mark and Steve. I have the Jet 14" saw. I added the riser and carter guides and was still unhappy with the saw's re-sawing performance. I ended up buying a Laguna LT18 for re-sawing. I still use the Jet for less demanding sawing.

I also replaced the original drive belt on the Jet with the Power Twist link belt. It made a world of difference in vibration reduction. A wise investment in my opinion.

Rick Fisher
12-09-2008, 4:24 AM
I have a dedicated resaw bandsaw with Carter guides. My smaller saw has stock delta guides.

The Carter guides are superior to the stock Delta guides but I wouldnt spend the money on them for the smaller saw. They arent needed.

I think you are on the road towards a bigger bandsaw and might just put the money aside for that saw.
The biggest difference you will ever notice is the difference between a 14" and 20" saw.