PDA

View Full Version : Redbud Saturn Ring bowl

Roger Chandler
08-01-2012, 9:55 PM
I had this little redbud blank.......trapazoidal in shape.......not much one could do with it.....a really old piece of wood that was way past its prime, and very dry.........got it out of a box of scraps from a wood turner who was selling off his stuff and gave a lot of wood away to several clubs...........pretty bland and nothing about the grain structure is special.

Decided not to make anything special.....just a little bowl.......the finish is not complete......more sanding and refinish........this has some shellac on it and some WTF........in retrospect, I wish I had gone with some Danish oil instead..........would have soaked in better and after hardening, I could have buffed it out nicely.

238224238225238226238227238228238229 Just wanted to get in a little turning time this evening....likely the last for several days. This is 10 minutes off the lathe..........not good for pics, but the finish will get better in a day, and especially when I put some more coats of WTF on it.

Rick Markham
08-01-2012, 10:15 PM
That's a soup bowl with a no drip lip and a place for your spoon :D

Roger Chandler
08-01-2012, 10:21 PM
That's a soup bowl with a no drip lip and a place for your spoon :D

Good one, Rick! :)

This one is likely to end up on one of the desks in my wife's cardiac clinic as a holder of rubber bands or paper clips!

Rick Markham
08-02-2012, 12:18 AM
I haven't tried one of these board into a bowl winged ringed things, it looks like fun to me.

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2012, 9:50 AM
Good looking bowl Roger. I have some scrap wood and may have to give that a try.

Roger Chandler
08-05-2012, 9:20 PM
I haven't tried one of these board into a bowl winged ringed things, it looks like fun to me.

Rick.........on this piece, I only have about 30 minutes invested..........just a quick turning fix before I had to go out of town for a few days...........I encourage you to try it! If I would have had a little more wood to work with, I would have put more cure into the bottom of the bowl.........I think it would have been a nicer form.........the chuck jaws limited my access on making more of a curve.

Thomas Canfield
08-05-2012, 9:52 PM
30 minutes? That is doing a lot in a little time. Did the wood have a smell? I was given some green redbud last year and it really stunk. It also had a lot of movement in it drying and checking, but did have some interesting grain and a greenish brown color.

Roger Chandler
08-05-2012, 10:19 PM
30 minutes? That is doing a lot in a little time. Did the wood have a smell? I was given some green redbud last year and it really stunk. It also had a lot of movement in it drying and checking, but did have some interesting grain and a greenish brown color.

Thomas.......this piece was really old and dry.......almost too dry.....was starting to get punky [think powdery]