PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Bosch 1587

Brad Taylor (NC)
08-01-2012, 9:54 PM
Hello everyone, looking forward to participating in the forums here. My name its Brad Taylor and I am a middle school science teacher but also own Toller Boatworks where I have been building wooden duckboats for almost a decade. During that time I have gone through 2 Bosch 1587s, well not the saw itself but have worn out the threads where the bevel set screw goes. Much to my dismay, when i went to purchase a new one the other day I learned that they had been discontinued. The new 470 series is junk, the blade wavered as much as 5 degrees in Ieither direction when trying to cut on an angle. If anyone knows where I could purchase a new old stock 1587 or equivalent barrel stock model it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad

glenn bradley
08-01-2012, 10:09 PM
It looks like Express tools has them but, I wouldn't pay 1591 prices for a 1587. Have you tried Bosch CPO? www<dot>cpotools<dot>com. Ah, they do have some and my apologies; the price on the 1591 has certainly gone up. Deserved but, gone up :eek:.

Van Huskey
08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Just FYI Bosch is coming out with a new top end jig saw soon. There is also the Festool as well if budget permits. Also consider the 1591 since they still seem to be available and are better than the 1587 but about 30% more money. Hopefully you can find what you want.

Michael Wildt
08-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Can you find the replacement piece from one of the many vendors that sells parts ? Several vendors out there that has diagrams that can help you find the right part. If you cannot find the part you may be able to timesert it or tap it for a larger screw. If you get both repaired you could set one to the bevel you use the most to save the adjustments a bit.

Michael

Brad Taylor (NC)
08-02-2012, 12:50 AM
It looks like Express tools has them but, I wouldn't pay 1591 prices for a 1587. Have you tried Bosch CPO? www<dot>cpotools<dot>com. Ah, they do have some and my apologies; the price on the 1591 has certainly gone up. Deserved but, gone up :eek:.

I checked there, unless I'm blind I don't see the 1587 listed. Might be giving the 1591 a shot if all else fails.

Thank you for the help.

Brad

Brad Taylor (NC)
08-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Just FYI Bosch is coming out with a new top end jig saw soon. There is also the Festool as well if budget permits. Also consider the 1591 since they still seem to be available and are better than the 1587 but about 30% more money. Hopefully you can find what you want.

I've looked at the Festool but hate to drop that kind of money without knowing much about it. I like the variable speed trigger on the Bosch and the relative ease of changing and setting the bevel. Any idea on when the new Bosch is coming out? Definitely looking into the 1591.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad Taylor (NC)
08-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Can you find the replacement piece from one of the many vendors that sells parts ? Several vendors out there that has diagrams that can help you find the right part. If you cannot find the part you may be able to timesert it or tap it for a larger screw. If you get both repaired you could set one to the bevel you use the most to save the adjustments a bit.

Michael

I've looked into both routes. Where the set screw goes in is in the gear housing. Not enough room on the back side to tap it without complete disassembly. Likewise, the gear housing is available as parts but again I'd be back to the complete disassembly.

Unfortunately the angles vary quite a bit and often when building a boat. I'm also open to other saw suggestions if anyone has any that fit the criteria of variable speed trigger and ease of bevel change (and will actually cut a line that holds the angle haha!)

Thanks again for all of the replies.

Brad

Van Huskey
08-02-2012, 1:14 AM
I've looked at the Festool but hate to drop that kind of money without knowing much about it. I like the variable speed trigger on the Bosch and the relative ease of changing and setting the bevel. Any idea on when the new Bosch is coming out? Definitely looking into the 1591.

Thanks,
Brad

The 1591 is a great jig saw. The new one is http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=JS572EBL

No idea when it will get here I imagine they will have a sample at IWF at the end of the month and will have a estimate on time, however it is hard to tell. In the end if you liked the 1587 I think you will like the 1591 more and it is available.

Greg R Bradley
08-02-2012, 11:00 AM
The Bosch 1590 is similar to the 1587. It has more power, a lever to set bevel angle, and lower blade guides. The 1591 is similar to the 1590 but in a barrel grip design. You LOSE the trigger variable speed in the 1591, which makes sense because there isn't a place for a finger to pull on a trigger on a barrel grip saw. I find that function very useful so have a D-Handle saw.

Both the Festool Trion saws, D-Handle or Barrel Grip, have the same on/off trigger as the Bosch 1591 and the only variable speed is the speed dial. The Festool saws have an allen wrench to set bevel angle so could fail at the same place that your 1587 saws have failed in the past.

I would think a helicoil, of preferably a Time-Sert or Keen-Sert to fix the thread would repair your 1587.

If you are trying to cut straight through thick wood, the JS470 will be useless. The Bosch 1590/1591 and Festool Trion will all do that better than the 1587 that you have been using. I'm guessing the new Bosch JS572EBL will also do that well since it seems to be the replacement for the 1590/1591.

Greg Portland
08-02-2012, 1:43 PM
I would think a helicoil, of preferably a Time-Sert or Keen-Sert to fix the thread would repair your 1587.
You beat me to it. Why not repair the stripped threads? Be careful metal shavings don't fall into the motor.

Bruce Wrenn
08-02-2012, 9:33 PM
PAWN SHOPS! That's where I bought all (5) my 1587's. Would you like for me to check a couple shops locally (RDU) for you?

Brad Taylor (NC)
08-02-2012, 10:24 PM
PAWN SHOPS! That's where I bought all (5) my 1587's. Would you like for me to check a couple shops locally (RDU) for you?

Thanks Bruce. I found a new old stock today and also ordered a 1591. Thanks to everyone's suggestions on the nut-sert as well. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that as I use a few for the latching system on couple of the boats I build. Although, I had never seen the heli coil ones. I'll give it a shot on the current one I have so that I will have a back up.

Thanks again to everyone.
Brad

Kevin Presutti
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Ereplacementparts.com may have what you're looking for. Oh and Van I really like the 1591 it is a world class saw. I mean how much more can you expect from a hand held scroll saw. It probably wouldn't hurt if it made coffee too! But just the same a mighty fine piece of equipment. IMHO :D

Mark Godlesky
08-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Amazon has the JS572EBN listed for ~$238 now, so I guess there out.