PDA

View Full Version : Shelix heads, scallops and torque wrenches - just sharing my own experience

Gary Herrmann
08-01-2012, 9:30 PM
I'd kept meaning to loosen and re-tighten the bolts holding the blades in my Byrd cutter heads. It was one of those things that kept getting bumped down the list. For over two years. My scallops were very shallow and easily sanded out, which is one of the reasons I never got to it.

Tonight I was supposed to show a friend of mine how to use a jointer and planer. He's always bought S4S boards, but now wanted to get a planer so he could buy rough lumber.

I cleaned up the shop a bit and finally adjusted those bolts. We spent a couple hours down there jointing some black locust (he had a tree come down 2 years ago and has 1000 bd ft now). Black locust is prettier than I thought it would be.

We just finished. I cleaned up and went in search of a beer. As I sat down in front of the Olympics, I realized I hadn't checked the surfaces for scallops.

I wandered back down stairs and checked the boards he got through. No scallops. None. The boards look like they came off a straight knife jointer. Even the knots were smooth.

I don't mean to stir up a debate or beat a dead horse. This was my experience. I just thought I'd share it. Back to rooting for the USA.

glenn bradley
08-01-2012, 10:12 PM
I didn't think it was a debate. I have rotated a set on my jointer. The tales of woe from those who took a casual attitude towards this task got my attention. I gave myself plenty of time, took care and used the correct tools; results were great. Congrats on being diligent and reaping the benefits.

Phil Thien
08-01-2012, 11:55 PM
I wandered back down stairs and checked the boards he got through. No scallops. None. The boards look like they came off a straight knife jointer. Even the knots were smooth.

You're lucky, knots put scallops in my straight knives.

Ed Edwards
08-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Has anyone had the oppertunity or the $$$ to install the Hermance arbor with inserts??
I had the chance to see their new head and the machining is beautiful!! The carbide cutters set low in the arbor,
meaning they don't stand proud as the Byrd head does. Of course at $1000. plus freight, for the 8" setup something better be different. The concern I have is that the jointer wasn't fully transitioned so I couldn't see the cut.
Has anyone else been able to compare the two??

Thanks, Ed