PDA

View Full Version : Stanley No 8 Type

Jacob Nothstine
08-01-2012, 2:16 PM
Trying to figure out what Type this Stanley No 8
238183238184238185 is.

Pick it up at a flea market this past weekend cheap. It's missing the blade, chip breaker, and the top of the Frog is cracked off, no lateral lever, the back handle was cracked and repaired. But the front knob and Lever Cap is good very little rust.

Under the handle is the letter “B” in the casting and the lever cap has a B but the frog has no B on it. Type 8?

No date on the Brass Adjustment Knob

No patent dates on the bed

The plane number is half way between the knob and front.

I think Type 8

What parts are compatible with this plane? Can I use a frog from another size plane like #7?

Thanks, Jacob

Greg Wease
08-01-2012, 2:37 PM
I agree with your assessment: Type 8. I don't believe any other frog will fit other than a Type 5-8 from a #8. Just use a hammer to adjust.

James Taglienti
08-01-2012, 8:23 PM
The parts you are missing can only come from a #8. Its wider than the rest. You might be able to get a cutter and chipbreaker from a transitional plane but the chipper would need a new slot cut in it to engage the yoke. If it was mine I would watch auctions for a broken #8 type 5-8.

Jim Koepke
08-01-2012, 9:47 PM
I think a type 4 frog would also work, it just doesn't have a lateral adjuster.

jtk

Jacob Nothstine
08-02-2012, 8:27 AM
Thanks for the information going to start looking for a type 5 - 8 parts.
Jacob

Dustin Keys
08-02-2012, 9:45 AM
I have an early #8 with the same broken frog issue. Other than that the plane is amazingly clean, so I bought it. I haven't come across a new frog and adjuster for it, but a few taps of the hammer works just as well.

D

Archie England
08-02-2012, 10:09 AM
De javu!

Exactly same story for me except I had all the parts. Wanting to replace the frog I picked up a few eBay specials only to discover there's too much difference. So I'll give the opposite advise: stop and cut your losses! Invest that blade, cap Iron, and lever cap expense toward a newer, fully working hand plane. I wish I had!

Dustin Keys
08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
De javu!

Exactly same story for me except I had all the parts. Wanting to replace the frog I picked up a few eBay specials only to discover there's too much difference. So I'll give the opposite advise: stop and cut your losses! Invest that blade, cap Iron, and lever cap expense toward a newer, fully working hand plane. I wish I had!

Or you could just keep it and use it for what it is: a jointer plane without a lateral adjuster. Wooden jointers don't have lateral adjusters and yet many people prefer them to the metal jointers (of course that's because they're lighter, but the point is that the lateral adjuster doesn't have to be a deal breaker). I know of several people who adjust the iron with a hammer even on planes that do have their lateral adjuster.

If it's important to you to have a lateral adjuster, it's going to be difficult to find the right frog for your plane. That doesn't mean it can't be a good jointer for you though. You also might be able to find the right frog if you look long enough. I didn't look very hard at all and just decided to use it as-is.

D

Richard Verwoest
08-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Obviously you need a jointer, that's why you purchased it, correct? Invest in an aftermarket blade. No worries about the broken frog. It should not effect chatter. Lateral adjusters are overrated. Use a light weight plane adjusting hammer for this. You will get better results. Clean it up and put it to use....

Hoss

Jim Koepke
08-02-2012, 11:23 AM
My type 4 #6 has no lateral adjuster. Setting the lateral adjustment with a few taps of a plane hammer is a breeze and the plane does a great job.

Put the plane together. You may want to file down any sharp edges on the frog.

Then if you want, keep an eye out for a replacement frog. After using the plane for a while, you may stop looking.

jtk

steven c newman
08-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Mine is just a little newer. Seems to work very well, without the lateral. Mine was missing, just the rivet was left. 238266238267Still has the original iron, as well. May not make "Gossemer" shavings, but that is not what it was meant to do. It will take out any high spots in a board( Like in the second picture) very nicely. I do have a "smaller" #7 for face work, though...238268 It also has a non-after-market iron.

Sam Takeuchi
08-02-2012, 2:16 PM
Check with Walt from Brass City Records to see if he has any spare.

Jacob Nothstine
08-02-2012, 2:59 PM
I'm a little slow today just back from vacation, seen Greg reply "hammer to adjust." and was thinking he was joking about making another frog fit. Hitting it with a hammer would work fine just like my wooden planes, and cost less then a replacing the frog. Was going to pick up a after market blade and chip breaker for it and give it a try.

Thanks, Jacob