PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie

Leah Caldwell
07-31-2012, 11:55 PM
Thought I'd introduce myself, now that I've finally registered! I've been stalking the boards here on and off for a little over a year now, so it's about time I join the community. I spent my nights for about a month or so reading everything I could find, and ended up purchasing my Epilog about 9 months ago. We are now best friends, and even my husband has grown to love her. I have a background in graphic design but enjoy making things to the point of obsession, so designing for print simply didn't cut it. Currently, I'm designing what I can to add to my little shop (yes, I'm an Etsian) in my spare time that isn't dedicated to my 3 crazy daughters. Anyway, thanks for all the help you've all already given me! There's so much information to be found here!!! :D

Leah

Dee Gallo
08-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Leah! Don't be shy about posting pix of your work, we love to see what others are doing. This place is full of inspirational work and practical advice not to mention a few wise guys.

cheers, dee

Mike Null
08-01-2012, 7:44 AM
Leah

Welcome. Let's see what you do!

Leah Caldwell
08-01-2012, 7:01 PM
Thanks guys! Here are a couple pics of things I've done recently:

This first was a class gift for a Kindergarten teacher with the "signatures" of all the students in her class engraved in the wood.

These next are a few I sell in my Mixed Mangos Etsy shop (http://www.mixedmangos.etsy.com). Feel free to take a look at the rest I have for sale. I also have a plotter and do a bit of vinyl work too. I don't do much simple lettering with the vinyl unless asked, as I prefer to design things rather than simply send text to the plotter.

I'm currently working on creating some patterns to engrave on the wood (such as large letters and custom names), and looking for a source other than Home Depot for my wood (because poplar is often green and I don't like running to different stores when the local one only has green in stock, and I'd like to find some 1/4 thick that I can get in a width closer to 12 inches). Right now I'm looking at Ocooch Hardwoods (http://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll_saw_lumber.php), but I'd also like to find some bamboo that I can cut in one pass reliably and at a reasonable price. I've read post after post on the topic, but if anyone has any current suggestions, I'd love to hear them!!!

Leah

Paul Phillips
08-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Hi Leah, welcome to the creek, nice creative work there!
I don't know if your Home Depot carries it or not but my local HD carries some Birch in 1/4" thickness but only up to about 6" widths I think. The Birch does seem to laser well and is more consistent in color than Poplar. The other thing you might try is looking for a local hardwood lumber store and see if they have anything in 1/4" thickness, Maple and Alder are two that are affordable and laser pretty nice. I don't think there are very many places you can get the sizes you want other than what you've already found unless you are willing to use plywood or MDF with veneer, you'll have a lot more choices and save a lot of money that way. A lot of people here use the 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood and have had good success with it. I think Michael Kowalczyk sells it if you look on the Friends of the creek. For Bamboo you can try this place www dot teragren dot com (http://www.teragren.com/) which was posted recently.
Hope this helps.
Paul

Steve Busey
08-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Great ideas & products you have there, Leah! Welcome to the Creek!

Craig Matheny
08-02-2012, 3:03 PM
I'm currently working on creating some patterns to engrave on the wood (such as large letters and custom names), and looking for a source other than Home Depot for my wood (because poplar is often green and I don't like running to different stores when the local one only has green in stock, and I'd like to find some 1/4 thick that I can get in a width closer to 12 inches). Right now I'm looking at Ocooch Hardwoods (http://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll_saw_lumber.php), but I'd also like to find some bamboo that I can cut in one pass reliably and at a reasonable price. I've read post after post on the topic, but if anyone has any current suggestions, I'd love to hear them!!!

Leah
I notice your doing this on an Epilog 40 watt what setting do you use for the 1/4" I have a 45 watt and it just seemed very slow to me maybe my setting are off.

Thanks and welcome to the family

Leah Caldwell
08-02-2012, 9:02 PM
Thanks for the encouragement!

Paul - I've read posts talking about the birch at Home Depot. Unfortunately, I can't find it in my local stores. It's not listed on the website either, from what I can see, so I can't even find where they carry it. From what I can find, Michael Kowalczyk doesn't carry it any wider than the poplar I get at Home Depot, but it might still be worth it since it won't be green! As for Teragren, I've had the tab open for a few days now, so eventually I'll get time during business hours to contact them. It's hard during the summer when the kids are home all day!

Craig, the settings I'm using for the 1/4" poplar are 100% power, 12% speed, 500 freq. I started with the recommended settings for my machine which I loaded in the driver, and then increased the speed slightly. Other than the speed, I haven't messed around with the settings too much for the wood.

Leah

Paul Phillips
08-06-2012, 5:15 PM
Leah, I'm not sure if we're on the same page here, I thought you were asking about solid wood which is what I was referring to about the HD Birch not to be confused with Baltic Birch plywood which is much cheaper and is what Michael Kowalczyk sells and I believe it comes in 5ftx5ft sheets or whatever sizes you request as a custom cut (with cut charge I'm sure). (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that).
Paul