PDA

View Full Version : "Secret" compartment access on bookshelf?

Chris Atzinger
07-31-2012, 10:48 PM
Hi,

I am working on a bookshelf & desk project for a home office. I have allowed for "spacers" between the book shelves to run cables, that are almost like secret compartments.

I have considered using drawer slides to have these spacers pull out, hinges to have them flip out, or magnets to hold them in place. How would you attach them so that you could still get access to the cavities behind them?

Thanks!
-Chris

Sam Murdoch
07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
If they are truly not secret but just wire chases and you need occasional access I would consider using something like this

238153 available at http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=135&utm_source=Nextag&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=V9124&utm_term=Rockler

Chris Atzinger
07-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Hi Sam,

Would you then recommend that I create them as inset doors with hinges? My concern is about how much "reveal" there will be. I want them to look like they are "tight" between the bookshelf walls and not supposed to open.

Thanks!
Chris

Mel Fulks
08-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Have not seen anything quite like that.We have made small boxes in that space with easily removed covers flush with the inside of the case which are usually concealed by a book.Not a lot of space, but a nice surprise for good clients.

johnny means
08-01-2012, 12:43 AM
They make clips just for these situations. You may have seen them used on false drawer fronts on sink bases.

George Gyulatyan
08-01-2012, 12:55 AM
It would be difficult to have them inset, removable and have no reveals. Any possibility you can modify your design to have the spacers be overlay rather than inset?

Just a thought.

Brian Kerley
08-01-2012, 7:52 AM
The trick will be if they are flush, how will you remove them? You will have to have something that you can grasp and pull on.What I would do is make those pieces cover the front of the case edges instead of being set in. Then, make a "plug" that just fits into the hole, and your trim piece is attached to the plug. Only would need to be a few inches deep. Then, it can just slide in and out. Nothing complicated and should work just fine. No hardware, etc. Make the plug as a box out of plywood and it can be as tight as you want it to be.

Chris Atzinger
08-01-2012, 8:14 AM
Making the trim piece overlap the edges of the book shelf is a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that!

-Chris

Sam Murdoch
08-01-2012, 8:55 AM
Hi Sam,

Would you then recommend that I create them as inset doors with hinges? My concern is about how much "reveal" there will be. I want them to look like they are "tight" between the bookshelf walls and not supposed to open.

Thanks!
Chris

No, I was just thinking that they would be flat panels resting on the desk top and held in place at each corner. Perhaps you would back bevel the panels so that the face comes to a near point to relieve the potential for it getting stuck and so keep the reveal tight. That means of course that you would need interior mates to the beveled panel.

Johnny Means refers to clips - I think he might be thinking of Keku clips - these are great and hold very well, but if you use these or similar, you will need to come up with a means of pulling the panel off because they hold almost too tight.

Charles Lent
08-01-2012, 9:52 AM
I would make the spacers overlay type and epoxy some button type magnets in forstner bit recesses flush cut into the back edge of the overlay strips and the face edge of the side boards of the shelving. You will be amazed how well they hold, yet your spacers will be able to be pulled off when necessary. You can find these magnets in several sizes and from many sources, but here is a sample in the link attached. Get some and try to pull two of them apart with your fingers. I'm sure that you will be convinced once you try this. You may want to go with a magnet in the overlay that mates with the head of a steel flathead wood screw in the shelving edge for a slightly reduced holding power. Two magnets at the top of your overlay and two at the bottom should be sufficient.

Charley

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200328193_200328193

Mike Heidrick
08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Id use just rare earth magnets/cups and no hinges. Grab the edge and pull off.

Wood magazine did an article not too long ago on this - it was them or FWW.