PDA

View Full Version : Options for Tool Rests that don't nick ?

Glen Blanchard
07-31-2012, 9:45 PM
I really like my Delta 46-460, but the tool rests that came with it seem to be quite soft, nicking easily and requiring a fair amount of maintenance. I'd like to get a couple of replacements made from hardened steel or a similar very hard material. I like what I see with the "Robust" line of tool rests, but man they are really proud of those things. Is there a good quality replacement tool rest that won't break the bank?

Jim Burr
07-31-2012, 9:53 PM
John Goodin makes some great modular stuff...SMC forbids links so look him up, Stainless steel and swapable length rests. Hard to beat IMHO...YMMV

Roger Chandler
07-31-2012, 9:53 PM
Robust makes some great quality rests with a drill rod at the top which are hardened..........not impossible to nick, but very durable and I like the low profile rest I have a lot........would be a great addition to the 46-460.

Thom Sturgill
07-31-2012, 10:02 PM
The Robust rests are a bit spendy, but I have no regrets over the money spent. I tried a round steel rest first, but it kept me too far off the piece and vibrated too much.

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-31-2012, 10:21 PM
I use tool rest from Advanced Lathe tools LLC. on both my mini lathe & Powermatic 3520b. They feature a hardened steel linear rod on top. I believe that there also built heavier duty than the Robust rest, and very Smooth to use, However the are priced similar to the Robust ( not cheap) There a pleasure to use & well wort the cost if you actually spend much time turning. Once you use them you won't want to back to a stock tool rest that's for sure.

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2012, 11:57 PM
I use tool rest from Advanced Lathe tools LLC. on both my mini lathe & Powermatic 3520b. They feature a hardened steel linear rod on top. I believe that there also built heavier duty than the Robust rest, and very Smooth to use, However the are priced similar to the Robust ( not cheap) There a pleasure to use & well wort the cost if you actually spend much time turning. Once you use them you won't want to back to a stock tool rest that's for sure.

Thanks for the info Joe. Those look rather well built.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I like my Robust rest too. Very comfy to use. Have not tried the Advanced Lathe tools though. Tried round bars, don't really like them either. BUT they are cheap.

Reed Gray
08-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Lathe tools look like the Robust. The hardened drill rod is probably the best type of top surface for tool rests that I have used. When I have to go back to cast metal, I really appreciate how smoothly the tools slide across the drill rod when compared to the cast metal. I did try some round bar stock, and didn't like them. Just didn't feel right. I have the Oneway stainless bowl rests, and like them, but they still are not as smooth as the Robust.

robo hippy

Ronald Campbell
08-01-2012, 7:00 PM
I bought 3 of the Robust in San Jose and just love them. Very comfortable and will not nick

Joe Meirhaeghe
08-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Advanced Lathe tools look like the Robust. The hardened drill rod is probably the best type of top surface for tool rests that I have used. When I have to go back to cast metal, I really appreciate how smoothly the tools slide across the drill rod when compared to the cast metal. I did try some round bar stock, and didn't like them. Just didn't feel right. I have the Oneway stainless bowl rests, and like them, but they still are not as smooth as the Robust.

robo hippy

Advanced Lathe Tools were actually making the Hardend rod top tool rest before Robust. & Brent actually let them sell there tool rest from his Robust booth at several symposiums. My not be as pretty as the Robust but there built like a tank.

phil harold
08-02-2012, 12:23 AM
I milled a groove into my tool rest and epoxied the end of a 3/8" long (~16") drill bit
works sweet!

rick pixley01
08-08-2012, 2:08 PM
Will the Robust Tool Rest solve the problem on the jet 1642 of allowing the 3/4 boring bars to be centered with a captured system?

Dave Halter
08-08-2012, 10:41 PM
I have a couple of the Robust tool rests for my Jet 1642 and think they were worth the money.

rick pixley01
08-09-2012, 12:59 PM
do you use them with a captured Hollowing system? There are two kinds listed and one appears much shorter to the transition from vertical to horizontal. That is the one I'm asking about..Thanks,Rick

Jamie Donaldson
08-09-2012, 2:28 PM
I have Robust tool rests on all 4 of my lathes, including the little Delta 460. They suit my needs just "swell!"

rick pixley01
08-10-2012, 4:54 PM
do you use a captive hollowing system???

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
08-10-2012, 7:42 PM
Second what Jim Burr said. I've got one of John's that I use for pens -- about 30 or so (pens that is) and nary a nick . . . Nice guy to deal with and VERY reasonable.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
08-10-2012, 7:44 PM
Oh. Sorry. Glen, I've got the 46-460 too. John let's you tell him how tall you want the vertical leg and then can supply multiple, interchangeable lengths for the "business-end" bar.