PDA

View Full Version : Some Florida Rosewood

Thom Sturgill
07-31-2012, 8:03 PM
A local mobile home community planted rosewood trees when they built their parks about 30 some years ago. They are now removing them and our club was able to get quite a bit of rosewood. (Some members formed a company to process most of the wood into kumber, but the club gets what they can't use.)

The two pieces were turned from the same limb section as the pith was quite off center. First was a Natural Edge bowl. 8 1/2" diameter and 5 1/2" high with a rattle can lacquer finish.

Then I decided to do something with the smaller piece. This is my first attempt at this form.

Not as happy with this one as I'd like. The 'board' has a bit of ripple as the worm screw was moving in the chuck and the platter was not stable. 9x12 'board' the bowl is 3" deep. Finished with rattle can lacquer. I'm taking it with me on an out-of-state trip this week and will refinish when I get back. (And probably try another of this form!)
C&C welcome.

Ron Stadler
07-31-2012, 8:10 PM
The platter is beautiful none the less, and the grain and color is gorgeous, very nice work.

Roger Chandler
07-31-2012, 8:14 PM
Nice NE bowls...........I like your idea on the last one.......too bad the worm screw allowed some wobble.........I have had that happen...........not fun!

Harry Robinette
07-31-2012, 9:13 PM
Beautiful work Thom.

charlie knighton
07-31-2012, 9:18 PM
i like both pieces, nice wood, i was straightening up a little and thought of you, went and dug out the mango, need to see what it looks like

John M. Smith
07-31-2012, 9:24 PM
Looks really nice Thom. I especially like the second one. I purchased a piece of spalted tamarind at the ohio symposium last year to make a similar piece, but have not gotten up the nerve to turn it. Spinning propeller and all.

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2012, 9:25 PM
Really nice on all. I like'em.

Thom Sturgill
07-31-2012, 9:36 PM
Looks really nice Thom. I especially like the second one. I purchased a piece of spalted tamarind at the ohio symposium last year to make a similar piece, but have not gotten up the nerve to turn it. Spinning propeller and all.

I've turned square bowls and winged bowls with swept back wings, but nothing this big or this heavy. This piece just barely clears on my 16" Jet. and the torque when stopping caused the worm wood screw to round off in the chuck and the blank to try to unscrew. I had to keep the tailstock up to keep it from coming off the lathe until I reduced most of the weight. Every time I stopped and re-started the blank developed a wobble.
Tamarind is a much lighter wood, so hopefully you will not have these types of problems. It took me a while to decide to try this form, and there is quite a sense of accomplishment when done. I'm already planning variations!!!

Jim Burr
07-31-2012, 9:38 PM
You did the wood proud Thom...very well done!!

Thomas Canfield
07-31-2012, 9:53 PM
Those are great looking bowls and good save of wood. Does the Florida Rosewood have the same problem of skin reaction potential that the foreign has? I had a bad reaction similar to poison ivy to some Kingwood or similar doing a pen and ended up getting rid of all the rosewood related wood. I don't think that I will be looking for any, but it is gorgeous.

Thom Sturgill
07-31-2012, 9:59 PM
Those are great looking bowls and good save of wood. Does the Florida Rosewood have the same problem of skin reaction potential that the foreign has? I had a bad reaction similar to poison ivy to some Kingwood or similar doing a pen and ended up getting rid of all the rosewood related wood. I don't think that I will be looking for any, but it is gorgeous.

I'm sure it does. I wear my trend airshield while sanding most woods, but especially rosewoods.

Bob Bergstrom
07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
They both look great. The contrast is awesome and great job turning it.

Michelle Rich
08-01-2012, 6:52 AM
my favorite is the flat one..that wood sure is pretty

Nate Davey
08-01-2012, 4:12 PM
Nice job and some beautiful wood, Thom.

Tim Rinehart
08-01-2012, 4:39 PM
Right nice pieces, both of them Thom. Like Charlie...I will have go dig out my piece of mango I got from you in Nov. I've been intentionally letting it get some spalt time in a shaded area...hopefully, it will be purdy!

David DeCristoforo
08-01-2012, 5:59 PM
Both are really nice. I have never gotten too excited about "square edge" bowls so if I had to pick one it would be the NE bowl. Great form on that one!