PDA

View Full Version : Questions about carbide bandsaw blades and table inserts...

mreza Salav
07-31-2012, 7:48 PM
Got a 1.25" resaw king for my Griggio SNA600 bandsaw recently and have two questions:

- the tires are flat on the wheels and I'm supposed to have the tip of the blades hanging off the wheels, but the question is how much?
is about 1/16" behind gullet good? like the following photo?

- The saw is never used and the insert is uncut. It is slightly larger and I guess I have to use files/sand to get it fit in the opening, but how do you cut it?
handsaw? or use a auxiliary board on the table to cover the opening and then cut it with the bandsaw?

Andrew Hughes
07-31-2012, 8:32 PM
Hi,Mresa the RK blades i have bought in the past would hang off the tires a bit less than your showing.But they were only 1 inch.On a 16 inch saw.The insert looks stout wish i had one for my saw.I cut the one ones i make with my smaller band saw.Seems safer.Let us know how you like the Rk blade and your new saw.I bet its a nice set up.Andrew

Jeff Nicol
07-31-2012, 8:34 PM
I think as long as the gullet is off the wheel and you can keep it tracking correctly that will work fine, it is like setting the blade at the guides keeping the gullet and teeth out of the guides. With the insert, that is a beefy thing compared to the little stuff on my Jet, but I think by using a sacrificial board to trim it on the bandsaw would work or us a belt/disc sander to get it to fit.

Good luck,

Jeff

Van Huskey
07-31-2012, 9:27 PM
The blade looks about perfect off the tire to me.

I would use a wide board and a miter gauge to cut it. I might just grab a couple of pieces of scrap MDF and made a "sled". I have cut them on the table saw with a thin kerf TS blade. I know the kerf is wider than the BS blade BUT the BS blade moves laterally under load and chews on the sides of the insert slot a little so I like them a little wider then the blade but some people like them closer. Because of the movement of the blade you will never keep the ZCI a true ZCI like on a table saw.

mreza Salav
07-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks.

Van, I did think about cutting it on a tablesaw with a thin kerf blade and my cross-cut sled, my only concern was the plastic might melt and make a mess on my blade.
I might just try that. Can't wait to try a resaw test on the saw.

Van Huskey
07-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks.

Van, I did think about cutting it on a tablesaw with a thin kerf blade and my cross-cut sled, my only concern was the plastic might melt and make a mess on my blade.
I might just try that. Can't wait to try a resaw test on the saw.

Good point not knowing the type of plastic it could be an issue but it is a short cut and you can take it very slowly pulling out to let it cool several times. I think I used a TCG blade. I also clamped it on my sled with a piece of wood over it so it couldn't move. Although the TS isn't ideal it was the quickest way to do it at the time.