PDA

View Full Version : Jointech phenolic router top

Brent Romero
07-31-2012, 5:18 PM
I have an opportunity to purchase a phenolic Jointech router top without a fence. The top does not have holes or track to accept a fence. I know that Jointech is out of business. Can anyone shed any light on these tops? Good, bad, or indifferent.

Thanks

richard poitras
07-31-2012, 5:27 PM
I had one and it was very flat and true. But I have heard some are not. If it is flat they are a good top. Price would be the deciding factor then.

Richard

Brent Romero
07-31-2012, 5:57 PM
Thanks Richard. What are my options as far as attaching a fence, etc? This is a new top that someone picked up in bulk when Jointech folded. He tells me they are flat to within 0.001" or so.

How easy is phenolic to machine?

Roger Davis
07-31-2012, 9:32 PM
Do you have a web site address or telephone number for the seller of the router tops?

Also, what is the size of the top.

Roger

Brent Romero
07-31-2012, 9:38 PM
Roger, the link is listed below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Router-Top-Phenolic-/220966543295?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item3372a1dfbf

Mike Tekin
07-31-2012, 9:49 PM
Roger, the link is listed below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Router-Top-Phenolic-/220966543295?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item3372a1dfbf

Brent,

I purchased this top approximately two years ago from the seller. Very reputable and nice guy. He is a woodworker himself. My top came perfectly flat. If he says they are flat, I'm sure they are, I know that he checked mine before he shipped it.

Also, this top was used to have a Incra fence mounted to it.

Good luck

Brent Romero
07-31-2012, 9:57 PM
Thanks Mike. Is phenolic machinable? Would I be able to use my router to machine slots in it to accept a different fence? And yes, I spoke to him and he is a very nice guy.

Mike Tekin
07-31-2012, 10:10 PM
You're welcome - yes its machinable - this is the material that the aftermarket zero clearance inserts are made out of by lee craft as well as others.

richard poitras
07-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks Richard. What are my options as far as attaching a fence, etc? This is a new top that someone picked up in bulk when Jointech folded. He tells me they are flat to within 0.001" or so.

How easy is phenolic to machine?

Brent the phenolic is very hard if you want to screw into the top to attach something you must pre drill and tap it. That’s how hard it is so it’s very durable. As far as the plate size I have heard it’s just a hair off for an Incra plate even though its says it’s the same size? Something you may want to check on with Incra or a little more research. The table does have two holes at the one end to mount there fence on a fence board but you can mount an Incra fence on it was well I believe. Once again check with Incra.

John W Johnson
08-01-2012, 4:52 PM
I just took delivery on three for different shops and am very happy with all three. They all came in well packaged and flat. They all had minor chips and one was a little discolored. I think they are a good deal for around $60 or so delivered. (Yours will be a little more since we were only charged one packing fee.) My old router plate fits perfectly and the one I am keeping will be a huge step up from the old plywood top I've been using.

John W Johnson
08-01-2012, 4:56 PM
Brent the phenolic is very hard if you want to screw into the top to attach something you must pre drill and tap it. That’s how hard it is so it’s very durable.

Good to know about tapping the holes. I assume I can use standard hss taps, and just be careful not to force it?

David Hawxhurst
08-01-2012, 5:18 PM
Good to know about tapping the holes. I assume I can use standard hss taps, and just be careful not to force it?

hss taps are fine. tapping phenolic is similar to tapping in aluminum. the table would have been set to use with their fence system which is similar to the incra system. i went with the incra system (ts-ls) and mounted the router table as an extension on the table saw. they sell smaller systems that are meant just for router table use.