PDA

View Full Version : Spalted wormy elm

Ernie Nyvall
04-09-2005, 9:56 PM
Perhaps better form will come as I work on this spinny thing, but this elm tree spalted up real nice and almost takes your mind off the form. I know now that I should scoop out the worm dust before finishing. The bowl is 5 1/2" x 2".
I am working on getting a One Way talon chuck, but right now I have a three jaw chuck and it was slipping on this bowl as I sanded it. I figured out on the next one that if I put Minwax hardener on the tenon and cut a slight dovetail, this 3 jaw will suck up to the bottom of the bowl and stay there. The hardener helps to keep one or two of the jaws from sinking into the tenon more than the other which causes the bowl to wobble after I've already rounded the tenon and part of the bottom.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Ernie.....I don't do spinny things yet and furthermore after looking at this beautiful...absolutely gorgeous bowl I'm not sure I'll ever get a lathe. I wouldn't even want to try to compete with you! Good work....unbelievebly beautiful piece of wood. You don't like that bowl send it to me COD! Fine work!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
04-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Earnie, that is a great piece of wood and you did it proud. Nice bowl that really shows off the figure.

John Miliunas
04-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Gorgeous hunk 'o wood and a beautiful piece there, Ernie! Although I do beg to differ about the terminology. Every turner knows that if it will hold soup, it's a bowl. If it's got holes, it's ART!!!:) Nice job!!!:) :cool:

Carole Valentine
04-09-2005, 11:03 PM
And despite your humble opinion, a beautiful bowl you made from it!:D

Doug Shepard
04-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Outstanding. Makes me want to figure out what that spinny thing out in my garage is for.
Just FYI - if anyone's interested, I been noticing some real nice looking Spalted Scottish Beech on gilmer.com's site. I think it was on page 1 of their newest boards page. Not big enough for bowls, but cups or spindly things would work.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Way to go Ernie. That is ONE GREAT BOWL!

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
04-10-2005, 12:14 AM
Thaks all for the kind words. I am certainly having fun with this lathe especially since I've found such great information on this forum.

Ernie

Dick Parr
04-10-2005, 7:48 AM
Ernie that is a beautiful piece of wood and a very nice form. Really eye candy :) Nice job.

John Hart
04-10-2005, 7:57 AM
Ernie, I've got to agree with John M. Great work of art!

Glenn Hodges
04-10-2005, 1:43 PM
Way to go Ernie, beautiful.

Michael Stafford
04-10-2005, 2:16 PM
Ernie, it doesn't get much better than that; beautiful wood, beautiful form and beautiful job!!! :D

Jeff Sudmeier
04-11-2005, 8:22 AM
Ernie,

That really looks great! The form and the wood really came together for a great peice. Wonderful job!