PDA

View Full Version : Have a recommendation on a good treadmill?

Christopher Reyes
07-31-2012, 3:19 PM
All my time is spent either at work or working on my new home, so I think I have officially said bye bye to the gym for a good long time....married life has not helped this. Anyway I think I am about to get me a treadmill, but I am a little concerned that the little floor model at my local Sears is not going to cut it.

Any recommendations on models?

~Chris

Van Huskey
07-31-2012, 3:37 PM
Do you have a rough budget?

David G Baker
07-31-2012, 4:39 PM
Shop Craig's list after you find the brand you like. I had a Sears that I spent 40 minutes on 7 days a week for several years, it lasted until it got broken when I moved from California to Michigan. The movers stacked something on it and what ever it was punctured the control membrane and messed up all of the functions. The cost of repair was to high. I now have a used Pro Form 400Pi that has worked well. It is the type that the walking area lifts up so it doesn't take up much room when not in use.

David Weaver
07-31-2012, 4:59 PM
Shop the new stuff (read reviews, especially user reviews) in the 1500-2000 range as a starting point.

Then go to CL and find something similar used if you can't tolerate the new price. I've never seen a good treadmill for a runner (presuming that's what you want to do) that was cheap new.

There are a lot of good high $$ used machines because people get them with good intentions and then never use them.

Eric DeSilva
07-31-2012, 5:44 PM
I don't have a treadmill--mine's an elliptical--but I think the same companies seem to make both. That said, I have no hesitation in recommending Precor as a brand. I did a lot of research before I bought, and this thing is built very well. Not surprising, since they are a leading manufacturer of commercial gym equipment.

Jerome Stanek
07-31-2012, 7:21 PM
Shop Craig's list as most treadmills are cloths hangers after the first year.

Brian Elfert
07-31-2012, 7:33 PM
I bought a really good treadmill off Craigslist for around $400 including renting a U-haul to get it home. The brand is Star Trac. Much bigger and heavier duty than most anything you'll buy at a discount store.

I'm in the Minneapolis area and there are currently about 800 ads for treadmills on the local Craigslist. Of course, some are probably reposts and some are likely sold without being removed.

Robert McGowen
07-31-2012, 7:36 PM
We have had a treadmill for several years that is a "Smooth" brand. We like it so much that we purchased a recumbent stationary bike from the same company after a knee surgery. Great machines and are shipped to your house. Just Google it......

Jerry Thompson
07-31-2012, 8:06 PM
No matter which type/brand I purchased my jacket hung just fine on them.

Jeff Nicol
07-31-2012, 8:07 PM
Most of the ones Sears sell are the same as I think the Pro-Form brand. We bought one about 10 years ago with great dreams of using it, well like has been stated it became a collect all and we sold it to the neighbors. No I find them on CL for free and take out the DC motors and control boards to use on machines and projects around the shop. In some of the bigger cities there may be 4-6+ a week to give away or under $100 so you could get one to try out and see if it is something you would even enjoy.

Good luck,

Jeff

Matt Marsh
07-31-2012, 9:06 PM
I also have an Elliptical machine, not a treadmill. I started out with a $1000.00 Nordic Trac Audiostrider 990. It started breaking after about a year of use (30-45 min. every other day), and after 2 years it was nearly impossible to use it without major breakage. I sold it and ordered a Precor EFX 5.33 from Amazon in 2010 and never looked back. Its built like a tank in comparison, and hasn't missed a beat in almost 2 years. It was a lot more money at $4500.00, but well worth it. I consider it an investment in my health. If you're 200lbs plus like I am, don't waist your money on anything less.

Lori Kleinberg
07-31-2012, 10:17 PM
My husband really likes his Sole F80, 2011 model. We bought it from Amazon (best price at the time with free shipping). I know Sears also carried it.
He does run on it but I don't know how fast.

Van Huskey
07-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Shop the new stuff (read reviews, especially user reviews) in the 1500-2000 range as a starting point.

Then go to CL and find something similar used if you can't tolerate the new price. I've never seen a good treadmill for a runner (presuming that's what you want to do) that was cheap new.

There are a lot of good high $$ used machines because people get them with good intentions and then never use them.

+1 The $1,500-2,000 range is sort of the best buy area for serious home usage. Treadmills and workout equipment in general is are excellent items to look for used, many of them barely get the new smell worn off them.

Belinda Barfield
08-01-2012, 8:09 AM
I have a Proform 585s (not sure they make this model any more) that I bought new about seven years ago for around $750. I've put many miles on it and it's still going strong. I've used Precor treadmills and ellipticals and it's tough to go wrong with Precor.

Prashun Patel
08-01-2012, 8:50 AM
I am an avid runner (read, Jogger) and I have a Vision treadmill. I second the advice to spend > $1500. You really do get what you pay for with one exception:

Get a model with the least amount of electronics as possible. That's the first thing to go. Most people don't end up doing crazy programmed runs. Just get something that has simple led's for speed and incline and as few other bells/whistles as possible. Spend extra for a long/wide deck.

This all being said, are you an avid treadmiller at the gym? If not, I would bet that it'll become a coat rack.

If what yr really looking for is a good home fitness program, then you might look into some of the recent dvd series like P90x or Insanity. They're phenomenal, require minimal equipment, and do a critically good job of keeping your (read, my) interest for months. I'm currently doing P90x and love it. My treadmill holds my towel...

Raymond Fries
08-01-2012, 9:11 PM
...that is a nice machine. Cost was about $1,200. I have a friend that has a True that he loves.

Check out local fitness centers. Seems they would buy equipment that is higher end and would endure a lot of use.

Good luck in your selection...