PDA

View Full Version : Pferd Saw Files?

Mike Allen1010
07-31-2012, 2:10 PM
I have a bad handsaw problem and am always looking for quality saw files. I would like to think I've tried just about everything, but haven't found any currently manufactured files that are anything close to the old American-made Nicholson and Simonds files.

Typically I use Swiss made Grobet saw files most often because I've had the best luck with them re: price/quality/availability. Recently I've had difficulty obtaining the Grobets as some sizes have been on backorder for several months, which has led me to look for alternatives.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about Pferd files, particularly their tapered saw files? All I know about them is that according to their rep their saw files are made in Germany and they are one of the largest file manufacturers in the world. The cost is about the same as the Swiss made Grobets and at least they're available.

I know there are lots of Creekers who know a lot more about metal working tools than I do and I would appreciate any feedback or opinions.

Thanks, Mike

David Weaver
07-31-2012, 4:39 PM
The import grobets are also good. The simonds files that I've gotten (even ones from india) have been OK, even if they don't knock your socks off.

I think bahco makes files in portugal (or whatever bahco might be called now) and the ones I have gotten have been OK, too.

The nicholson mexico files work in a pinch, they're just not durable as far as I can tell, at least if you have a saw that has any kind of hardness.

Mike Allen1010
07-31-2012, 7:58 PM
Thanks David I was hoping you might reply given all your metal working experience building infills. I really appreciate the feedback.

I was wondering about the Bahco files as I haven't used them myself, but saw a post saying they were able to file 15 saws with the Bahco's which seems really extraordinary to me.

I took the Plunge and ordered a box of the Pferds so I will share my experience.

All the best, Mike

David Weaver
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
I'll be interested in hearing how they do. I've ruined good files on saws that had inconsistent heat treating (very old saws), and I've had cheap files (mexico nicholson) that flew threw saws that weren't that hard. But the mexico nicholson files did always seem a bit rough.

I've not yet had a generic taper file that I thought was acceptable and I've tried them three of four times when sales places threw them in for free or really cheap and said they were just as good as brand name files.

Ron Bontz
08-01-2012, 7:08 PM
Mike, I recently contacted some one that restores and sharpens saws for a living. He thinks very highly of the Pferd files. Check out ToolZone if you haven't already. Had I not already ordered some grobets, some on back order, I would have bought a box or two. Best wishes.

Joe Cunningham
08-01-2012, 9:16 PM
I recently took a class with Matt Cianci who restores and sharpens saws for a living (do a search for The Saw Wright). He recommended Pferd as his #1 file. I believe that is what we used in class--they worked great, but I am a novice sharpener.

Mike Allen1010
08-02-2012, 2:07 PM
Thanks Joe and Ron, an endorsement from a couPle guys who would know is really helpful and just the kind of intell I was looking for.

As everyone here in The Cave knows knows, nothing beats finding a new quality tool, especially when you're desperate! The screech of a dull file on spring steel gets old real fast!

Based on your info., I'm looking forward to trying out the Pfred files. If anyone's interested, I would be happy to share feedback.

All the best, Mike

Mark Wyatt
08-02-2012, 3:21 PM
Mike,

I'd certainly be interested in your feedback on the files. Through a mix up with an Amazon reseller in the "Great SCM Saw File Fiasco of 2011" I ended up with 2 free Bacho saw files. Please PM me your address (because I've lost it 3 times already) and I'll send them to you to include in your evaluation.

Gary Herrmann
08-02-2012, 7:08 PM
"Great SCM Saw File Fiasco of 2011"

Now that's funny. Oh, the drama.

Mike Allen1010
08-03-2012, 3:23 PM
Mark -- Sorry to hear about your "Great SCM Saw File Fiasco of 2011" - I hope historians will treat your fairly in their retelling of this incident!

Thanks a lot - it's really generous of you to send me the Bahco files - I appreciate the chance to try them out and will gladly share my experience with these. I also have some Pferds, Swiss and import Grobet's on the way - sounds like my minor league version of the great saw file shoot out is coming together.

All the Best, Mike

steven c newman
08-03-2012, 4:31 PM
I usually prowl around the Thrift stores. I have found the odd "Coffee Can" full of old files. OLD files, the "Diamond" type of files. Picked up about a dozen, or so, for about .......$2. Most were the 5-6" tapers, with the teeth all the way to the edge. These were the files someone bought a long time ago, just because they needed a small file. Other than a little rust and grime, which clean up nicely, they were ready to go. Might keep an eye for them, next time you are out & about.

Fitzhugh Freeman
04-20-2013, 5:59 PM
I know this is a stale thread but I'm wondering if any of you can share your experiences with the pferd files you got? I just made my first joiners' float and have a lot of file-intensive projects on the list and need good files for them. I can't afford to waste money on bad files these days.

Thanks!

Mike Allen1010
04-22-2013, 3:44 PM
HI Fitzhugh,

I can only speak to the tapered, triangular files I use for sharpening saws. I'm not sure how the effectiveness of these files in spring steel would translate to their effectiveness in other materials.

I've gone through multiple boxes of most of the readily available brands of saw files. FWIW, I sort of evaluate files on a cost vs. longevity vs. finished surface basis, because most decent file brands will at least cut for a little while when they're new (except for the Nicholson, Mexican made files which I find to be really inconsistent in hardness -- some of them won't even cut a saw plate fresh out of the box), I focus on how long the file will cut quickly, smoothly, leaving a nice clean surface before it needs to be pitched.

For my money, I preferred Bahco which I find gives the best performance for the dollar. I think the Pferd and Grobet "American Pattern" files are next best and comparable to each other in performance, with maybe a slight edge to the Grobet. I have used the Grobet Swiss made files in the past which are excellent, but as I recall a little pricey for me.

The very best saw files I've ever used were NOS, American-made Simonds. They would let re-profile the entire tooth line for two, 26", 8 PPI crosscut saws -- about twice as many teeth as I get from anything else. The problem for me is buying these vintage USA made files on the Web without being able to see them in person is they ahve been hit or miss in terms of what shape they are in so I've gone back to the currently manufactured Bahco's.

I hope this helps.

All the best, Mike

Fitzhugh Freeman
04-23-2013, 3:54 AM
Thanks Mike, that does help a lot. I was under the impression Bahco was unavailable in the US but after reading your response I looked again and saw I was wrong.

I've had problems like you mention with the few Nicholson files I have purchased. One mill file I'd purchased mostly for jointing had both a twist and a bend in it. I couldn't tell in the plastic bubble - or rather I probably just didn't think to check. I'll look to get a file from Pferd and Bahco each when I order the files I need. I won't go through them as fast as some but I sure prefer a decent tool to the things I find on the shelves around here.
Thanks!

john davey
04-24-2013, 7:37 AM
Fitzhugh, Can you share where you found the Bahco saw files in the US? Thanks, John...

Chris Vandiver
04-24-2013, 9:49 AM
Fitzhugh, Can you share where you found the Bahco saw files in the US? Thanks, John...

Here's one source; http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/4-183-07-2-0.html

John Leake
07-14-2015, 9:36 PM
I have used lots of files, and the Pferd ones I use for chainsaw sharpening are really great, and cut well. I have not tried or found the Bahco's. Most files now are box store use and pitch junk.

lowell holmes
07-17-2015, 11:26 PM
I can't imagine I will be able to add anything to this discussion. I did buy a box of 12 Grobet USA American Pattern Files. IIRC, I found them on Amazon.

They are the best files I've used in a while. They are very hard and will be good for 6 or 8 sharpenings. I was filing the saw plate smooth and re-toothed the saws. I'm real happy with them. If your not re-toothing, they should do more.