PDA

View Full Version : New lathe is home

Dawn Sunkle
04-09-2005, 9:19 PM
We finaly got our new lathe. Took a little longer than anticipated, went to get the variable and it was out of stock so had to wait on it to come in. Picked it up Tuesday and proceeded to build a table for it. Built a table from 2x12's and 4x4 post-legs. Its pretty sturdy. We need to support the legs a bit more but that'll be easy. Other than that she's running like a champ. We're learning to use the tools now and hope to have something to show soon. So far we are really pleased with our Jet Mini.

Thanks to everyone that gave us advice on the lathe and the table.
Dawn and Chris

John Miliunas
04-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Jet Mini??? What Jet Mini? I don't see no Jet Mini! (Ahem, in other words, WHERE'S THE PIC(S) OF IT????):confused: Congrats anyway, but it's still not official! Enjoy it and, at least let us see the results off of it, ok?:) :cool:

sascha gast
04-09-2005, 11:42 PM
well now that you are hooked, start saving up money to upgrade, that's how it started with me, i just wanted a mini so i could turn drawer pulls and pens, then 2 months later, last november i got the nova dvr because the only thing i turned were bowls and i needed more swing. now in may my stubby 1000 is coming, so i am on my 3rd lathe since september and i am hooked. but the stubby will be my last lathe, i'm done, no more, now i can finally turn 44" bowls, if i could only find the wood big enough
the good news is, the tools hold their value pretty good, so not too much money lost once i sell my nova

sascha

Carole Valentine
04-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Congratulations, Dawn! Can't wait to see your first turnings, and of course a pic of the lathe! Remember, at SMC if there is no pic, it didn't happen.:D

Ernie Nyvall
04-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Congrats on the lathe. With your enthusiasm, I can't wait to see some product.

Ernie

Jim Becker
04-10-2005, 10:19 AM
LOL! 'Caught by the "picture police"!!

Congrats on your new lathe, Dawn! You were right to wait for the VS version...once you use one, you'll never want to go back to pulleys and fixed speed increments!

Bart Leetch
04-10-2005, 11:56 AM
So does you Jet mini look like this?

I hope you enjoy it a lot.