PDA

View Full Version : Can never have enough...

John Miliunas
04-09-2005, 8:57 PM
Clamps? Well, that too! But, most WW's I know, have also found that there's never enough shop space and, within that realm, enough storage space for the one thing we need most: Wood!:rolleyes: Late last Fall, I started to address that issue, but it got too cold, too fast. Today I finally decided to finish it up. It's an area outside, just as you come in to the shop from outside. Fortunately, there's a rather large overhang on that side of the shop and the guy who had the place before had put up a wall at the outer edge, creating a stash area. The area is about 11' deep, but only about 4' wide. When used for general storage, stuff in the back would typically get "lost". So, it lends itself nicely to long items. :) Hmmmm...Lumber is usually pretty long!:D I picked up enough 2x4's and had a bunch of some scraggly looking 4/4 Poplar laying around, ideal for stuff like this. So, just under 4' wide, 10'+ deep and a bit under 8' tall at the lowest point, with 8 separate "cubbies" for lumber. I figure I'll keep the bulk of my rough stock out here until I'm ready for a project, then move it to the racks inside to allow it to acclimate. There are enough openings above and below for good air circulation, so that things don't get damp, yet protected enough from the worst of the elements. It's open right to the driveway, so offloading will be easy, as well. Should work, me thinks!:) Thanks for taking a peek. Now I can concentrate on getting more of those clamps!:D :cool:

Martin Shupe
04-09-2005, 9:11 PM
Very nice, John...

I wish I had something like that, then I could get some of my cherry off the floor of what it supposed to be my office. I have a pile in there of lumber that is too long to stand upright in my garage.

Jim Becker
04-09-2005, 9:12 PM
Looks like the perfect solution, John! A great way to use that space. I'd love to be able to do something like that. Unfortunately, there is no place anywhere around my shop building that it could be done. But I may put some "rackage" in the upstairs since a home addition will now take a mighty big piority over finishing the upstairs of my shop building. I really need to get all the turning stock out of the shop and being able to handle more flat lumber up stairs would be great! I think I'd like my racks to be like these, too.

lou sansone
04-09-2005, 9:13 PM
nice storage area.. I assume that the end is not in direct sunlight? just wondering. now to fill it all up! that is the fun part

lou

Boyd Gathwright
04-09-2005, 9:41 PM
John,

.... Storage is always a problem and you appear to have a dedicated handle on it.

.... Have fun :).

Boyd

Clamps? Well, that too! But, most WW's I know, have also found that there's never enough shop space and, within that realm, enough storage space for the one thing we need most: Wood!:rolleyes: Late last Fall, I started to address that issue, but it got too cold, too fast. Today I finally decided to finish it up. It's an area outside, just as you come in to the shop from outside. Fortunately, there's a rather large overhang on that side of the shop and the guy who had the place before had put up a wall at the outer edge, creating a stash area. The area is about 11' deep, but only about 4' wide. When used for general storage, stuff in the back would typically get "lost". So, it lends itself nicely to long items. :) Hmmmm...Lumber is usually pretty long!:D I picked up enough 2x4's and had a bunch of some scraggly looking 4/4 Poplar laying around, ideal for stuff like this. So, just under 4' wide, 10'+ deep and a bit under 8' tall at the lowest point, with 8 separate "cubbies" for lumber. I figure I'll keep the bulk of my rough stock out here until I'm ready for a project, then move it to the racks inside to allow it to acclimate. There are enough openings above and below for good air circulation, so that things don't get damp, yet protected enough from the worst of the elements. It's open right to the driveway, so offloading will be easy, as well. Should work, me thinks!:) Thanks for taking a peek. Now I can concentrate on getting more of those clamps!:D :cool:

John Weber
04-09-2005, 9:54 PM
John,

Buddy, you've got one sweet set-up! You better go hug you SWMBO. Looks great, I've often thought of hanging a small wood rack off the back of the shop (outside), but no where as nice as your solution.

John

John Miliunas
04-09-2005, 10:09 PM
nice storage area.. I assume that the end is not in direct sunlight? just wondering. now to fill it all up! that is the fun part

lou

Thanks! Lou, there is some direct sun which hits the one end, but it's really for only a very short period of time, as the overhang extends quite a way over the door, thus protecting it for the largest part of the day. If I note that it gets too bad, I can always dab the ends with some sealer to ward off cracking.:) :cool:

Corey Hallagan
04-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Nice Job John. Wish I had space to store lumber like that. Now to get busy in search of lumber and fill that bad boy up!!

Corey

Tim Morton
04-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Looks perfect john!! I was JUST today thinking about finding a space somplace to do something about finding some wood storage.

Don Selke
04-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Very nice job John, wish I could do something like that here in Arizona but this Arizona sun will not permit it:mad: Everything must be stored inside except for my break down spray booth which is stored outside next to the wall covered with a good tarp.
Glad to hear that it is starting to warm up there!!!:)

Alan Turner
04-10-2005, 5:18 AM
John,
Quick math, not allowing for the cubby components, shows that you now have enough room for about 7800 b.f. of lumber. That should do you for a bit.

Karl Laustrup
04-10-2005, 8:50 AM
Very nice solution to the storage dilema, Spring.

I especially like the accessibility, :cool: with being able to back right up to the lumber with a vehicle. Could you mark the wood species on the ends of the boards though. :)

I hate having to fumble around trying to find what I'm looking for when I'm in a hurry. ;) :D

Jim Becker
04-10-2005, 9:54 AM
Your mission, should you accept it, is to fill those racks with nice lumber!! Time to take advantage of "finds" and build your inventory!!

Lou Morrissette
04-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Great use of space, John. A Woodmizer parked along side would realy do the trick.:D Good job, Bud.

Lou

John Miliunas
04-10-2005, 1:06 PM
Holy smokes, Alan! Close to 8K brd/ft. would pretty much set me up for life, me thinks! But, it is good reason to keep an eye out for deals!:)

And yes, Jim, that would be one heckuva' "mission"!:eek: I'll be happy to just have the room to sort stuff out a bit better, though it looks like I'll be needing to mark everything carefully, so that Karl has an easier time when he pays me one of his "midnight visits"!:D :cool:

Chad Pater
04-10-2005, 1:07 PM
Looks great! Let me know when you get it full....by the way do you have a watch dog......or 12 gauge? :D
Chad

John Miliunas
04-10-2005, 1:17 PM
Looks great! Let me know when you get it full....by the way do you have a watch dog......or 12 gauge? :D
Chad

Watch dog: He'll lick you to death! :rolleyes: 12 gauge: Lent it to my grandfather, never got it back! :mad: Ahhhh...But you still need to watch out! TWO attack cats!:D :cool:

scott spencer
04-10-2005, 5:59 PM
Very true John! Nice solution to your dilemna. I also find I'm always short on time, organization, money, intelligence, focus, electrical current, empty DC containers, gizmo's, sandpaper, router bits, precision, patience and lighting! Any suggestions how do deal with those issues?

;)

John Miliunas
04-10-2005, 6:07 PM
Very true John! Nice solution to your dilemna. I also find I'm always short on time, organization, money, intelligence, focus, electrical current, empty DC containers, gizmo's, sandpaper, router bits, precision, patience and lighting! Any suggestions how do deal with those issues?

;)

Oh come now, Scott! You're NOT giving yourself enough credit! Well, either that or, have you ever considered stamp collecting instead?:D :) :cool:

scott spencer
04-10-2005, 7:29 PM
Oh come now, Scott! You're NOT giving yourself enough credit! Well, either that or, have you ever considered stamp collecting instead?:D :) :cool: ....nah....too messy! :D

Jerry Olexa
04-10-2005, 9:18 PM
Nice solution, John! Now fill it with Cherry and Maple, etc....

Kelly C. Hanna
04-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Way to go John! Great use of space...betcha can't wait to fill 'er up!!

Dale Thompson
04-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey Spring,
Now that you have figured out a way to STORE your wood, I hope that we can soon see some pics of you actually USING it! :p Ya know, bud, actually making SAWDUST out of that grainy stuff. Make sure that you put the short pieces on the bottom and the long pieces on the top. We always use the long pieces first and it is a pain having to move all of the short stuff to get at the long ones. :( AWW! What is logic to a woodworker?

With my budget, I can store my "spare" stock in a cigar box. :) I learned that the hard way. I figured that our living room, with its 18' cathedral ceiling, would store a lot of "stock". In additiion, the room was only used twice a year. That was Christmas and the anniversary of Johnny Cash's first big hit, "I walk the Line". ;)

YIKES!! - Did I ever learn a lesson. The LOML had a massive bonfire outside where she burned up all of my precious bark, twigs, antler scraps, Padauk sawdust and other irreplaceable "stock". ;) The compromise was that we now have added a third day for use of the living room. We celebrate the date when Willie wrote, "Crazy". :cool:

11:40 tomorrow morning (Monday) I'll be expecting your thoughts, chum. You know what I mean. ;)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
04-10-2005, 11:11 PM
11:40 tomorrow morning (Monday) I'll be expecting your thoughts, chum. You know what I mean. ;)

Dale T.

Hey Pesh, believe it or not, I do, on rare occassion, kick out some sawdust and make more than toothpicks! (Though I am running low on those now!):rolleyes:

Anyhow, I'm all over it for tomorrow morning! I've got your backside, He's got your inside and you just keep your hands to yourself!:) You know what I mean!:D :cool: