PDA

View Full Version : Delta DC-380 aka 22-680

John Cooper2
07-31-2012, 2:36 AM
May be gloat worthy, but not my intent.

Just picked up a DC-380 15" Delta Planer with one minor issue. Sold with no motor. Story is that the old one started smoking one day and it was taken into a shop for rebuild, but the cost was prohibitive to have it rebuilt so it sat. I was ok with that and figured I have a 2hp Baldor laying around that I think will fit.

I found out that the upper pulley that mounts to the motor was still on the motor that went to the shop a long time ago. I was able to track down the shop and the owner dug around and looked back through his paper work and he found it. I was able to recover the pulley and the on / off switch. The motor is toast, but found some key missing pieces, I was thrilled.

So now we get to my question, the original Delta motor is labeled at 3hp. I know that the 22-260 had a 2hp motor on it and I expect that the HP rating is a little embelished. I would believe that the Baldor 2hp is pretty close to the 3hp Delta. That is my "logic" anyway, I plan to put the 2hp Baldor on it and see how it does. I don't expect that I will be planing in 15" wide Rock Maple anytime soon, so I figure it's worth a try anyway.

Please set me straight.

Will get some pics up after I get it unloaded from the truck. Man that thing is heavy. Going to put my shop "crane" to the test for sure.

John

Van Huskey
07-31-2012, 5:46 AM
Outside of service factor induction motors will give the HP they are rated at. It is nothing like universal motor ratings. In the end I would look for a 3hp motor while you use the 2hp motor, you may well find it is plenty for your needs or if not a inexpensive 3hp motor may show up on CL etc.

John Cooper2
07-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Van,

That to me makes the most sense, just remembered I do have a 3hp Lesson motor that I bought to replace my 1.5 on my Unisaw. Have not found the need to replace it so it may end up on the planer at some point. Not sure of the frame yet. I really expect that the 2hp will do everything I want it to.

Either way it will be better than listening to the screaming lunch box planer that I use now.

Bruce Wrenn
07-31-2012, 9:29 PM
The older 380's came with a 2.0 HP as standard. That's what is on mine

John Cooper2
07-31-2012, 10:25 PM
I got it unloaded today didn't hurt myself or my shop so I suppose that was a success.

Got to dig out the Baldor and give that a whirl.

Curt Harms
08-01-2012, 7:17 AM
I'd think that as long as the 2 h.p. motor has functioning overload protection, the only downside would be maybe getting hot and shutting down 'til it cooled.

John Cooper2
08-01-2012, 12:45 PM
So far my longest planing run has been 15 minutes so I don't think it would have a chance to get too warm.

It's got to be more robust and more powerful than the Lunchbox planer that I have now.

John Cooper2
08-02-2012, 1:13 PM
Two major setbacks yesterday.

The Baldor motor I thought was 2hp was only 1hp,,,,,,
Have a 3hp Leeson, but it has the frame for a Unisaw.

So now I am searching for a suitable motor, or having this one rebuilt. Not 100% sure if all of the parts are there and it windings in the motor are burnt for sure. It looks like it would be a complete rebuild.

Bruce Wrenn
08-02-2012, 9:38 PM
Another possibility is to watch CL for a generic four post, with a top mounted motor. You could probably buy a whole generic planer cheaper than a motor rebuild. Check and see what Grizzly wants for a motor.

John Cooper2
08-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Bruce, one step ahead of you. Grizzly wants $300.00 + $20 in shipping for a motor that specs out exactly. Have a call into them to see what kind of switch / starter it needs.

Not going to get off as cheap as I thought but $125 for the planer + another $350 for the motor & parts I should be just under $500.00 for a nice 15" planer.

Going to be looking for an discount code for Grizzly for sure.

David Kumm
08-02-2012, 11:12 PM
John, check around. I think you could find a Marathon or equivalent for about the same and have a better motor. I think it is a 145 TC or TCZ motor so it is fairly common. Grizzly has never been known for their motors although they are now better than in the past. Dave