PDA

View Full Version : Installing a toilet on a convex surface

Brian Kent
07-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Whoever tiled this floor didn't make it flat!!!

Oh wait, that was me.

When I install the toilet, there is almost a 1/4"gap on the front and the back. Once it is horizontal, I will have a gap in front or back or both. My plan is to use several shims to steady it. Then I'll put bathroom caulk around the base.

Am I on the right track or is there a better way?

Thanks.

Brian

ray hampton
07-31-2012, 12:28 AM
I would place shims to support the bowl under the hold -down bolts unless the bottom of the bowl will touch the floor

Brian Kent
07-31-2012, 1:14 AM
It touches in the middle, where the bolts are, and has a little space in the front and back tip.

Peter Kelly
07-31-2012, 1:39 AM
I'd use plastic shims, the wood ones will compress over time. You also might want to ditch the j-bolts and use 1/4-20 hanger bolts if you've got wood decking underneath the tile. Much more secure than attaching to the flange.

David Weaver
07-31-2012, 7:20 AM
Yes to the shims and caulk. Leave a gap in the caulk somewhere so you can tell if the toilet is leaking.

Matt Meiser
07-31-2012, 8:16 AM
They sell plastic shims specially for it.

I did exactly as you (slightly uneven tile, shims, caulk) and its been rock-solid for 5 years.

Phil Thien
07-31-2012, 8:54 AM
+1 on weeping areas so you can watch for signs of leaks.

The caulk actually helps tremendously with any rocking. Cut the shims so you can squeeze them under the flange, and then caulk around the perimeter.