PDA

View Full Version : Cats...

Matt Meiser
07-30-2012, 10:45 PM
We (my daughter) got a cat. The original plan was for it to be an outside/garage cat. He came from next door where they have a few outside cats to take care of mice in the horse barn. Since he's still tiny he was in our garage over the weekend, but we had a contractor here to finish a flooring job so I put him out in my shop. He's litter trained (seems to be doing good) and I'm toying with the idea of letting him live in my shop. Pros, I do get mice over the winter which he'd probably take care of. Shop stays heated all winter (42 when I'm not using it.) Drawbacks? Besides maybe not getting the attention he'd get in the garage where she at least goes 2x a day on the way out and the way home?

Plan C, if he really is litter trained, would be to let him live in the basement, which is where her "hangout" is so she'd be down there a fair bit but I'm not ready to go there yet.

Peter Kelly
07-31-2012, 1:24 AM
If you haven't already, get him spayed and de-clawed asap.

Jerome Stanek
07-31-2012, 6:16 AM
If he is an outdoor cat then don't have him declawed as that is his defense from predators and that way he can hunt.

John Coloccia
07-31-2012, 7:13 AM
I don't declaw my indoor cats either. I don't see why you would automatically do that "asap".

David Weaver
07-31-2012, 7:18 AM
Yeah, no declaw. Do the spay, though. Spay or spray (as in the cat will pee on stuff if it's a male), your choice. That'd be my only drawback in the shop, the cat may spray stuff to mark it or poop in places where you don't want him to.

I know when I was a kid and we were on relatives' farms, you never just shoved your hand straight into the sawdust/bedding pile. The cats kind of ruined the fun for us there.

Belinda Barfield
07-31-2012, 7:38 AM
Matt,

So far I've rescued six cats, working on taming #7. Two live at home with me. I wouldn't recommend spaying "him". :D I would recommend neutering him as soon as the vet says he's old enough. My male cat at home was neutered at about six months, if I recall correctly, and he has never sprayed. Three of the other rescues are our shop/office cats at work. Rescue #6 has been a challenge. He was abused whereever he was before he came to me. He is somewhere between 5 and 8 years old. He was neutered last year but continues to spray. At this point I don't think he'll ever stop spraying, so I'm working with him, taking him out two to three times a day and encouraging him when he sprays outside. He's starting to get the idea that outside is "good", inside is "bad". He is very eager to please.

While he is a kitten please keep him somewhere that he can interact with someone on a fairly frequent basis and become accostomed to regular household noises and the movement of people - unless you want to rarely see him and have a reclusive cat. PLEASE don't declaw him. If he is already litter trained give him a shot at the basement until he is a little older. Two drawbacks to shop cats . . . they really like to help out, and they like to sharpen claws on wood.

Jerry Thompson
07-31-2012, 8:10 AM
Pete;
Hims aren't "spayed.''

Lee Schierer
07-31-2012, 8:31 AM
Matt, we have had several cats that lived in the house. They can easily be trained not to claw furniture, but give them a scratching post for their claws. We've never had one de-clawed and don't regret that choice. Our current cat is strictly an indoor cat as our previous cat was an indoor/outdoor cat (he had his own door) killed too many songbirds. Cats that go outdoors are more likely to have health issues and are more prone to be killed by cars or predators. Our current cat plays with the dog and easily puts the dog (50#) in his place if he plays too rough.

Ted Calver
07-31-2012, 9:08 AM
Cats bond with people and if it's your daughter's cat and she hangs out in the basement, that's where kitty should live. Then your daughter can help with scooping the litter and feeding and watering. Pets are a good way to teach kids responsibility...or you can just give up and take care of them yourself like we always did.

Curt Harms
07-31-2012, 10:02 AM

I'm hearing that declawing can cause litterbox and other behavioral issues. There is a procedure where the claws are not removed (kinda like cutting all your fingers off at the first knuckle I'm told) but instead sever the tendons that extend the claws. I don't know if that procedure alleviates the behavior issues or not.

Greg Peterson
07-31-2012, 10:11 AM
I would rather not have a cat than have a declawed cat. I know there are vets that still perform this procedure, but informed cat owners are not likely request this service.

Cats can be aloof at times, but they are also very social creatures. If they are around people they are almost always looking for a warm lap, especially when it's cool enough to us humans to wear a sweater.

Curt Harms
07-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Cats bond with people and if it's your daughter's cat and she hangs out in the basement, that's where kitty should live. Then your daughter can help with scooping the litter and feeding and watering. Pets are a good way to teach kids responsibility...or you can just give up and take care of them yourself like we always did.

Boy, do they ever! We have a female Maine Coon rescue. She's dad's girl:). She 'knows' her property boundaries, has a very good idea when her 45 minute outdoor no-leash walks are up, knows what "okay, let's go in" means and will make her way to the front door like a well trained dog. I'd never have believed it if I didn't see it first hand. And as Belinda says, they do 'like to help' even if if the quality of help is of 2 year old child caliber. And don't leave small hard-to-replace parts laying around.

Matt Meiser
07-31-2012, 10:43 AM
I've never been a cat person. But this thing is cute. I worry about him being out in the winter. Even the garage drops below freezing and I worry about him getting hurt or worse climbing under one of the vehicles for warmth.

We were going to let her get a cat last summer but the neighbors' litter was gone by the time we decided. Then we tried to adopt from a rescue organization which ended in a major fail when we said it was going to be outside. Then we decided to adopt a second dog, which also was a major fail as he was a breed we couldn't deal with (which we didn't really understand what he was at the time) with major behavioral issues we couldn't deal with so he ended up going back. Partly we are spoiled because the first dog is just such a good boy. So when the neighbors offered again there wasn't much option to decline and it happened kind of fast.

Belinda Barfield
07-31-2012, 11:11 AM
I've never been a cat person. But this thing is cute. I worry about him being out in the winter. Even the garage drops below freezing and I worry about him getting hurt or worse climbing under one of the vehicles for warmth.

We were going to let her get a cat last summer but the neighbors' litter was gone by the time we decided. Then we tried to adopt from a rescue organization which ended in a major fail when we said it was going to be outside. Then we decided to adopt a second dog, which also was a major fail as he was a breed we couldn't deal with (which we didn't really understand what he was at the time) with major behavioral issues we couldn't deal with so he ended up going back. Partly we are spoiled because the first dog is just such a good boy. So when the neighbors offered again there wasn't much option to decline and it happened kind of fast.

I was never a cat person either, until my first rescue. He started as a feral kitten from a stray that we had started feeding at the shop. He went missing one winter day and I finally found him curled up in the corner of an old plastic sign that was on the ground. He was unresponsive. I took him into my office and put him in a box with a towel. After a couple of hours he roused up enough to eat a little bit then went right back to sleep. I took him to the vet at 2 or so that afternoon and he spent 3 days at the vet's with pneumonia. I picked him up on a Friday, thinking I would take him back and let him live in the shop but no, the cosmos had other plans. He had to have antibiotics every two hours and had to stay inside. So, I became a cat owner. He is the snuggliest thing ever. He sleeps with me and every morning gets a 5 minute massage before we get out of bed. I would worry about him being out in the cold. On my FB page he is the black cat in the "Flower Child" photo album.

I think if you give this kitten a chance he'll grow on you (pun intended). I can't stress enough that he does need to bond to a family member and have play time every day.

Pics?

Mike Henderson
07-31-2012, 11:20 AM

Do not declaw. Especially if he's an outdoor cat. But even if he's an indoor cat, don't do it except as a very last resort.

Mike

phil harold
07-31-2012, 11:20 AM
our feral kitten has been with us for 6 years now OUTSIDE!
I tried having her in the shop but during the winter she would do her business anywhere in the shop, She now lives in the chicken coop!
She is a good hunter and keeps the mouse population in check!
Animals should never be in the house unless you like the smell of poop and dander

Paul McGaha
07-31-2012, 11:37 AM
I like cats a lot. Like dogs more though.

I wouldnt mind having a cat but our family pretty much wont be without a dog.

PHM

paul cottingham
07-31-2012, 12:40 PM
We have 2 indoor cats. They are both 18 years old, healthy and happy. Very social animals. In fact, our male cat (who weighs 20 pounds) and our 6 year old are best buds. My dad had one that lived to be 22, and never spent a day inside, in fact she wouldn't come into the house. She was an exceptional cat, who used to fight with racoons for sport on the farm.
BTW declawing very often changes a cats personality, and many vets won't do it.

Jim Rimmer
07-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Another vote against declawing. They can't hunt or climb trees to protect themselves.

We have a cat that was dropped of in our backyard by her mother and adopted us. Turned out to be beautiful Persian. The long hair is an issue to deal with but the cat is a great friend. We had a busy street behind us that has since been removed so we kept the cat indoors to protect her from the traffic. Now we have a couple of neighbors that don't understand "Leash Laws" so we will continue to keep her inside. When we first got her (first day) she clawed the corner of the couch. I immediately went to the shop and made a scratching post and put it at the end of the couch and she has used it and never scratched anywhere else. Litter box trained herself immediately.

THEN & NOW
238094 238095

David Keller NC
07-31-2012, 2:28 PM

I think you will find that regardless of being a "dog" person, you will find that you are also a "cat" person after a while. Cats are often thought of as aloof by dog folks (I am a "dog" person, btw), but this isn't true if the cat is properly socialized when they are very young. This is critical - the cat must be with a person (at least in the same room or same floor of a house) for at least 8-12 hours a day. Given a couple of months of this socialization, you will find that the cat behaves a bit like a dog in some respects: they will come when called, greet you when you get home, and they will be very interested in what you are doing.

But - one "must do ASAP" - the cat absolutely must get a rabies vaccination for the sake of the health of your family, and a few others are recommended for the sake of the health of the cat.

paul cottingham
07-31-2012, 2:34 PM
I think you will find that regardless of being a "dog" person, you will find that you are also a "cat" person after a while. Cats are often thought of as aloof by dog folks (I am a "dog" person, btw), but this isn't true if the cat is properly socialized when they are very young. This is critical - the cat must be with a person (at least in the same room or same floor of a house) for at least 8-12 hours a day. Given a couple of months of this socialization, you will find that the cat behaves a bit like a dog in some respects: they will come when called, greet you when you get home, and they will be very interested in what you are doing.

But - one "must do ASAP" - the cat absolutely must get a rabies vaccination for the sake of the health of your family, and a few others are recommended for the sake of the health of the cat.
My cats both act like little dogs. They greet us at the door, come to their names, and need attention enough that we need to plan for someone to visit them, not just feed them when we go away. It's a matter of socialization. My dads old cat even guarded him when he was in the garden.

Matt Meiser
07-31-2012, 2:38 PM
The cat (the whole litter actually) has been to a vet a few times, but not our vet so we're already planning to take him. And he will be getting neutered.

Belinda Barfield
07-31-2012, 3:32 PM

My cats both act like little dogs. They greet us at the door, come to their names, and need attention enough that we need to plan for someone to visit them, not just feed them when we go away. It's a matter of socialization. My dads old cat even guarded him when he was in the garden.

Matt, I'm noticing a theme in this thread and I bet it will be true for you as well. For those of us who were dog people (and still are) prior to having cats, I'm guessing that we socialize our cats in the same way we socialize our dogs. Prior to having 3 shop cats my two home cats came to work with me every day. All of the cats normally will come when called - unless really involved in chasing a lizard or mouse, they greet me at the door, they know when it is time to eat and expect to be fed at that time (one gets very vocal on Saturday mornings if I try to sleep in). All of the cats are very interested in what I am doing unless they are napping. I think a lot of people treat cats like they think cats want to be treated - "cats are aloof", "cats only pay you attention when it is their choice", etc. Treat the kitten like you would a puppy and you may be surprised with the outcome. My first male cat would even retrieve a small rubber ball, until the second cat came along and he got a bit of attitude and punished me by not playing with me anymore.

Ted Calver
07-31-2012, 5:35 PM
My first male cat would even retrieve a small rubber ball....
Years ago and much to our chagrin, our youngest daughter trained our last Siamese cat to retrieve new, in the wrapper Tampons. Throw one of those and the cat would spend hours getting it and bringing it back to be thrown again....something about the noise the wrapper would make. It was a hoot at dinner parties:)

ray hampton
07-31-2012, 6:33 PM
I refuse to own a cat or dog that was declaw and that got FIX [that is spay/neutral for you city slickers ]

Belinda Barfield
07-31-2012, 8:19 PM
I refuse to own a cat or dog that was declaw and that got FIX [that is spay/neutral for you city slickers ]

Well, Ray, to each his own. Maybe your area doesn't have the huge feral cat population that we have around here. I prefer to spay and neuter rather that see starving kittens, puppies, cats, and dogs. We have to decrease the feral population here. Spaying and neutering is a life saver and healthy option for most cats and dogs that don't have homes.

ray hampton
07-31-2012, 8:50 PM
Well, Ray, to each his own. Maybe your area doesn't have the huge feral cat population that we have around here. I prefer to spay and neuter rather that see starving kittens, puppies, cats, and dogs. We have to decrease the feral population here. Spaying and neutering is a life saver and healthy option for most cats and dogs that don't have homes.

Belinda , a spay/ neutral cat and declaw would not live very long away from the city, it could become the prey very quick, , I have been a hunter from my childhood and never saw a feral cat except close to someone home, cats do not hunt in a pack the way that dogs do so they will be the prey

Matt Marsh
07-31-2012, 9:26 PM
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/02/17/dangers-of-early-pet-spaying-or-neutering.aspx

Bill Cunningham
07-31-2012, 9:27 PM
If your shop is a business, and you have mice, the cat, vet bills, and all expenses could be written off.
List him in your inventory as a ballbearing mousetrap....A junkyard can write off their guard dogs soooo....

Belinda Barfield
08-01-2012, 8:04 AM
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/02/17/dangers-of-early-pet-spaying-or-neutering.aspx

Thanks for the link Matt, good info. I think the difference here is in whether you have for which you can control mating versus a feral population problem. I still say in the case of a pet whose mating cannot be controlled it is better to spay/neuter, but I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again. :)

Rod Sheridan
08-01-2012, 9:07 AM

Matt, I wouldn't keep a cat or dog alone in an un-occupied building, both species respond well to social situations.

I wasn't a cat person either, now I no longer have a dog, just cats.

All of our cats greet us at the door, tell us how their day was and demonstrate how happy they are to see us.

Our male cat is the shop cat, if I'm in the shop, he has to be there even when machinery is running.

As to declaw, my daughter worked for a vet for years and I was shocked to find that it was actually an amputation at the first knuckle. Our vet refuses to perform the operation.

As others have said, make a cat scratching post, it's a great wood working project, and we don't have any furniture scratching issues.

Regards, Rod.

Paul McGaha
08-01-2012, 9:19 AM

Matt, I wouldn't keep a cat or dog alone in an un-occupied building, both species respond well to social situations.

I wasn't a cat person either, now I no longer have a dog, just cats.

All of our cats greet us at the door, tell us how their day was and demonstrate how happy they are to see us.

Our male cat is the shop cat, if I'm in the shop, he has to be there even when machinery is running.

As to declaw, my daughter worked for a vet for years and I was shocked to find that it was actually an amputation at the first knuckle. Our vet refuses to perform the operation.

As others have said, make a cat scratching post, it's a great wood working project, and we don't have any furniture scratching issues.

Regards, Rod.

Hello Wellington.

Greg Peterson
08-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Upon further reflection on the matter, dog owners are calibrated for a more demonstrative display of affection. I mean really, how can you beat a happy bark and wagging tail when you come home? Cats do not generally run around in circles or bounce around because they can not contain their glee.

Cats praise and affection are a sublime matter to the uninitiated.

Mind you I am referring to cats, not kittens. If kittens were not so disarmingly cute and entertaining, I doubt there would be many cats. Kittens can be, shall we say, disruptive.

Sam Murdoch
08-01-2012, 10:58 AM
My wife and I are total cat lovers. A year ago we lost our 20 year old that she had rescued from a bucket of paint. What a smart and dear little creature. He survived all kinds of living in the woods altercations and several moves with great mastery, finally succumbed to kidney failure. A very sad day. My shop cat was also a rugged survivor who loved the woodstove, climbing onto my bench and seemed completely unconcerned about machine noise. People dismiss cats as being intelligent but rather they are too smart for most people :). They certainly will understand a firm NO, will come running when your car is approaching the driveway, and will very happily go for walks in the woods with you. Our current kitty is a 1 year old rescued from having lived by itself outdoors through a Maine winter. We have learned that it was badly abused as a kitten prior to its escape to the outdoors. We are very slowly overcoming that distress and imprinting. I think her fear of every moving thing ultimately served her well in her survivor mode through the winter. Makes for a pretty distracted pet though.

As has ben said - do neuter - DO NOT declaw - regardless of indoor or outdoor. Claws and scratching are one of the essence of cat. Also, I reiterate the view of those who encourage you to allow your cat to develop a relationship with its human house mates. They are great pets but will be friends if you let them into your daily routine. Locking him away in the shop means that there will be days when there will be no human interaction and believe me the cat will miss that, even when it seems not to care. Enjoy your kitten. It will be an eye opening experience.

Belinda Barfield
08-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Our current kitty is a 1 year old rescued from having lived by itself outdoors through a Maine winter. We have learned that it was badly abused as a kitten prior to its escape to the outdoors. We are very slowly overcoming that distress and imprinting. I think her fear of every moving thing ultimately served her well in her survivor mode through the winter. Makes for a pretty distracted pet though.

Sam, my second cat was rescued from the shrubbery outside of a very busy restaurant, in the order pick up area. She is still afraid of anything that moves, any loud noises, the sound of high heels on flooring, etc. I'm not sure she will ever overcome that fear. As you said, it makes for a very distracted pet. She eats when we aren't home usually, and spends a great deal of time under the bed. She does interact with us but is still very cautious. She will sit in a chair with me if I am the only one home and the house is completely quiet.

Rod Sheridan
08-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Kittens can be, shall we say, disruptive.

Greg, that's the under statement of the year..........Rod.

Sam Murdoch
08-01-2012, 8:39 PM
Not to steal your thread Matt, but in the interest of cat owners maybe some of you will enjoy reading a story I wrote about our newest cat mentioned above - 238222

Craig Matheny
08-01-2012, 9:22 PM
We have owned 6 cats all indoor cats all de-clawed 4 paws never had any issues unless it is related to cancer or diabetes that why I had 6 cats, IMho de-clawing a cat is only and I repeat only for indoor animals if there is a chance they could get out then forget it. I personally will not own cats anymore as I hate litter boxes so I have 2 little dogs. Anyway you need to do what you feel is best for you and your family, your furnature and don't forget your legs as they run by and climb up your leg, kinda fun if there are no claws. But you need to make your decision. JM2CNTS

Greg Peterson
08-02-2012, 12:06 AM
" Anyway you need to do what you feel is best for you and your family, your furnature and don't forget your legs..."

One little thing missing in this list; the cat.

Declawing is the amputation of the last bone of each toe. A declawed a cat is more likely to bite and less likely to use the liter box. Since the last bone of each toe is removed, the way the foot contacts the floor/ground is altered. It's like wearing a ill fitted shoe, except the procedure is irreversible.

A cat (actually kittens) can easily be taught to use a scratching post. Kittens and cats require a scratching post. If one is not provided they will find a suitable facsimile. You may not think it acceptable but the cat is amazingly indifferent to your 'feelings' on the matter. When you catch the kitten scratching on something other than the post, pick it up, take it to the post and lower it so that its front paws brush or catch onto the post. Like any animal, they are intelligent and will figure out the scratching post is theirs to use.

Typical cat (http://www.dump.com/levet/)

Andrew Hughes
08-02-2012, 1:52 AM
I rescued a cat about seven years ago she was a mess. Missing her tail and one eye.She also had a litter of kittens at the time full of fleas.She still thanks me by bring lizards to me in the shop.And even try's to sit between me and my wife.

Rod Sheridan
08-02-2012, 8:04 AM
He says Hi back, he's very sociable..........Rod.

Curt Harms
08-02-2012, 8:28 AM
Possible (non)-prescription potion for paranoid pussycats. We found the Sergeant's settle down collar in a local supermarket. I was pretty skeptical but it seems to have helped one of ours who has 'issues' with the other cats. She still prefers people to other cats but she's better. She's also better about litterbox usage.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cat+pheromone+collar&sprefix=cat+pheromone%2Caps%2C188

Sam Murdoch
08-02-2012, 8:42 AM
Possible (non)-prescription potion for paranoid pussycats. We found the Sergeant's settle down collar in a local supermarket. I was pretty skeptical but it seems to have helped one of ours who has 'issues' with the other cats. She still prefers people to other cats but she's better. She's also better about litterbox usage.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cat+pheromone+collar&sprefix=cat+pheromone%2Caps%2C188

We tried the Bach Rescue Remedy an organic flower based calming potion for Lanni. It was highly recommended by several friends and strangers too. It had the exact opposite effect. Rather than getting mellow she became even more hyper and fearful. We stopped that "treatment". Otherwise I would be suggesting this "cure" to Belinda.

Matt Meiser
08-02-2012, 9:29 AM
He's still in my shop. I've been out there a lot this week finishing cabinets and working on other parts of our laundry remodel. He's learned to hang out on a shelf in my shop where he can see outside but when I come in he's already learned to meet me at my router table for some petting. I think the basement is doable, but not right now as its the staging and finishing area for refinishing the baseboards from about 1/3 of the house, all the crud from the laundry room, and all the new crud for the laundry room. I'm hoping that within about 10 days that will all be moving out and other than granite the laundry will be done.

phil harold
08-02-2012, 11:16 AM
He's still in my shop. I've been out there a lot this week finishing cabinets and working on other parts of our laundry remodel. He's learned to hang out on a shelf in my shop where he can see outside but when I come in he's already learned to meet me at my router table for some petting. I think the basement is doable, but not right now as its the staging and finishing area for refinishing the baseboards from about 1/3 of the house, all the crud from the laundry room, and all the new crud for the laundry room. I'm hoping that within about 10 days that will all be moving out and other than granite the laundry will be done.I think you need to put a kitty door in for the cat the cat will want to go outside and hunt/play.
It will also get more interaction from the rest of the family outside
I am firm believer in keeping animals out of the house just in case you want to sell your house down the road many buyer will not buy a house if it has pet odors.
And trust me, I smell cat 5 years after the fact

Jim Rimmer
08-02-2012, 1:31 PM
I rescued a cat about seven years ago she was a mess. Missing her tail and one eye.She also had a litter of kittens at the time full of fleas.She still thanks me by bring lizards to me in the shop.And even try's to sit between me and my wife.

Did you name her Lucky? :D

Jim Rimmer
08-02-2012, 1:32 PM
Not to steal your thread Matt, but in the interest of cat owners maybe some of you will enjoy reading a story I wrote about our newest cat mentioned above - 238222

Great story, thanks for posting.

Matt Meiser
08-02-2012, 2:15 PM
BTW, here is said cat..

ray hampton
08-02-2012, 2:53 PM
shame on you for giving this cat a black eye

Paul McGaha
08-02-2012, 2:56 PM
BTW, here is said cat..

Good looking cat Matt.

PHM

Craig Matheny
08-02-2012, 3:05 PM
Matt mine use to sit on the corner of my drafting table during my schooling days. Thanks for the memory as he has been gone for 7yrs.

Belinda Barfield
08-02-2012, 4:06 PM
Matt, from the photo it looks like he has an eye infection. That can be pretty serious. Just mentioning it in case he hasn't been to the vet yet. I can't remember if he has and didn't take time to read back through the entire thread.

Don Morris
08-02-2012, 4:19 PM
We had a Tonkinese and was definitely an indoor cat only. The breeder didn't want any of her cats to be declawed. We agreed with her. After two years she totally destroyed our furniture to the point we were embarrassed to have guests. We tried all sorts of scratching posts, card board scratching boards, kept her claws short, etc, but she preferred our furniture. We finally called the breeder and said we couldn't go on like this. She agreed that in this case we should have her front claws removed. We did. BEST DECISION EVER! There was no change in Sara, she was the same loving cat she always was, with no personality diferences. The only change was that the new furniture we got had a longer life expectancy. She still tried to scratch it, but without effect. You have to judge the cat and decision to declaw or not to individually. It's not an all or none thing. It sort of seems to be like abortion and choice...some believe it's right under some circumstances, other don't.

Belinda Barfield
08-02-2012, 6:13 PM
Matt, just be aware that if you declaw he may develop litter box aversion as his front feet will be so sore it will be uncomfortable to "scratch" the litter to cover. Please take a minute to read this info regarding how claws help the cat to stretch and the issues with declawing.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-grooming/933-declawing-cats.html

Matt Meiser
08-02-2012, 6:43 PM
Matt, from the photo it looks like he has an eye infection. That can be pretty serious. Just mentioning it in case he hasn't been to the vet yet. I can't remember if he has and didn't take time to read back through the entire thread.

Yes, definitely a question we have for the vet. My wife is making him an appointment. It does seem to be getting better though.

And we have no plans to get him declawed.

Bill Cunningham
08-02-2012, 9:33 PM
We just got a new kitten a few weeks ago..Born May 7th (also my oldest daughters birthday). Our last cat made it to 18 before he expired. He was a outdoor cat, and a hunter. Most cats like that don't make it that many years. Old Molson could stand on his back feet, front paws on the kitchen table, and could actually see what was on it..He was huge, 19 lbs, and no fat. He would lay on my front counter in the shop, and customers coming in would do a double take, and always comment on his size..The new kitten is currently in the play/biting stage, and my legs are now healing from the previous 'grab anything that moves' stage. Can't wait for the 'lazy cat' stage. He will be neutered by the end of the summer, but will keep his claws.

Belinda Barfield
08-03-2012, 7:31 AM
And we have no plans to get him declawed.

I'm doing my Happy Dance! What's his name?

Don Morris
08-03-2012, 7:33 AM
When we had our Sara declawed we put thin strips of paper in the litter box for a while which was soft and easy for her to use to "cover". After healing, the litter we used was Tidy Cat, and she seemed to have absolutely no problem scratching it to "cover" just as she did before. The amount of debris that she threw onto the floor seemed about the same. We marveled at how even though we kept a top on the litter box, she seemed to be able to always bat the litter out the entrance.

Matt Meiser
08-03-2012, 7:47 AM
I'm doing my Happy Dance! What's his name?

Frankie...

Larry Klaaren
08-03-2012, 7:01 PM
No cat that is outdoors at all should be declawed. However, a properly declawed cat, if good anesthesia and pain meds are used will not have any behavioral problems that are due to the declaw. This is not inexpensive. Some of the cheaper, injectable anesthetics do not block pain, and there may be some memory retention if they are used. Yes, paper litter should be used until the incisions are completely healed, about ten days in most cases. I have never had a client complain about litter box aversion that began after a declaw. We do see aversion, and it occurs in cats that haven't been declawed. Usually there are problems with the cleanliness or location of the litterbox, or there are not enough litterboxes. There are some cats that won't use clay litter, there are paper litters available, "Yesterdays News" being the best known. Most of my clients don't want to declaw on principle, about 25 % come back and have the declaw performed. The issue more often than furniture is that cat scratches are painful. Yes, some cats that are declawed learn to bite to protect themselves, but those cats most likely would have scratched. I have seen people euthanize a cat because they believed a declaw is abusive, and they can not train it to live in the house. Just some thoughts.

Belinda Barfield
08-03-2012, 7:06 PM
Larry, nice to have the input of a professional.

Scott Shepherd
08-04-2012, 9:52 AM
I'm not a cat person, but one night when tv was dead, I saw the show on animal planet about cats. I think they renamed it this season, but it's like the dog whisperer, except for cats. It was really interesting to see the guy interact with bad cats. His explanations on why they acted aggressive were quite insightful to a non-cat owner. Cat's don't have that "pack" mentality for sure.

Often times, from watching this show, not from my experience, it seems very minor things can radically change a cat's behavior.

If you haven't seen the show, here's the link to animal planet....

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/my-cat-from-hell/

Erik Loza
08-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Frida and Diego...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/LaundryKids.jpg

Frida with my wife...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/JennyandFreida-BW.jpg

Helping dad fix the sink...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/396792_4029266683955_1840857157_n.jpg

"Dad, look what I found!" (the package of pipe cleaners, which he must've brought upstairs in the night, one at a time)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/580920_3978499414805_1158494027_n.jpg

The TRUE balance of power among pets in the Loza household...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/183689_119834088093709_2363270_n.jpg

Sam Murdoch
08-04-2012, 11:15 AM
A couple of beauties there...

Harold Burrell
08-04-2012, 12:39 PM
I would rather not have a cat...

That would be my answer. ;)

Bill Boehme
08-05-2012, 12:43 AM

If you have a female cat, you will regret that decision the first time that she comes into estrus, especially if she is an indoor cat. The yowling and spraying will be incessant. If she is an outdoor cat, then you will need some very good friends because there will be a litter to give away.

Kevin W Johnson
08-05-2012, 2:41 AM
No cat that is outdoors at all should be declawed. However, a properly declawed cat, if good anesthesia and pain meds are used will not have any behavioral problems that are due to the declaw. This is not inexpensive. Some of the cheaper, injectable anesthetics do not block pain, and there may be some memory retention if they are used. Yes, paper litter should be used until the incisions are completely healed, about ten days in most cases. I have never had a client complain about litter box aversion that began after a declaw. We do see aversion, and it occurs in cats that haven't been declawed. Usually there are problems with the cleanliness or location of the litterbox, or there are not enough litterboxes. There are some cats that won't use clay litter, there are paper litters available, "Yesterdays News" being the best known. Most of my clients don't want to declaw on principle, about 25 % come back and have the declaw performed. The issue more often than furniture is that cat scratches are painful. Yes, some cats that are declawed learn to bite to protect themselves, but those cats most likely would have scratched. I have seen people euthanize a cat because they believed a declaw is abusive, and they can not train it to live in the house. Just some thoughts.

We have 1 cat (had 2 till just recently, kindey failure/diabeties) that are declawed. I have to echo your statements on litterbox use. They are (were) the best cats I have ever seen about using the litter box. They absolutely will NOT go anywhere but the litterbox.

As for the biting thing? Not really. The cat we lost, never tried to bite. The remaining cat, when you "play" with her, and play rough, yeah, she uses her teeth some, but not hard enough to break skin. In fact she uses her front paws (to pick stuff up and manipulate things) like no other can I've ever seen. My wife and I swear if she had an opposable thumb (think door knobs, etc), we'd be in trouble.

We also have a Chihuahua, who has been clawed in the EYE by a cat once. He nearly lost his eye because of a neighborhood cat that jumped our 8ft fence. I can still picture the look on his terrified face, with fluid coming from his eye when I heard what was going on and got there just as the cat was going back over the fence. No thanks, our declawed cat and our awesome little dog get along just fine.

Brian Ashton
08-05-2012, 4:17 AM

Are there still Neanderthal vets that will declaw cats?

Don Morris
08-05-2012, 8:26 AM
Brian, obviously you didn't read the replies from Larry Klaaren, and Kevin Johnson. Go back and re-read them. Never declawing is NOT automatic and "Best Veteranarian Practice" decision. As with most clinical decisions, the pros and cons have to be weighed.

daniel lane
08-06-2012, 1:34 PM
Matt,

As a 'cat person,' I'm happy that Frankie has (figuratively) sunk his claws into you. Cats are lots of fun to have around, and I miss mine dearly. (We are currently catless due to infants/toddlers and rental issues. Looking forward to getting one back into the family!)

I wanted to mention to everyone an alternative to declawing - I know that Matt's said it's not in the picture, but others may be interested. Although I never needed to use them with Norman, my brother and his family have 2 cats that they use nail caps with. I believe the brand name is "soft paws", although we always referred to them as "rainbow paws" due to the bright colors they'd use. Basically, claw-shaped plastic (vinyl, I think) that you glue over the claws, they last about 1-2 months, IIRC. Obviously these are not good for outdoor cats, as you still lose the defense and tree-climbing abilities, but for indoor cats, it's an alternative.

daniel

Matt Meiser
08-06-2012, 1:42 PM
Literally and figuratively...

I think we are going to let him in the basement in a week or two, as soon as we can get it cleaned up of a huge mess of stuff moved down there due to remodeling. Then he MAY be allowed upstairs while supervised. Perhaps including being allowed in my office during the day while I'm at work.

Kevin W Johnson
08-06-2012, 3:12 PM

I think we are going to let him in the basement in a week or two, as soon as we can get it cleaned up of a huge mess of stuff moved down there due to remodeling. Then he MAY be allowed upstairs while supervised. Perhaps including being allowed in my office during the day while I'm at work.

He's working his way in quite nicely.......;)

Keith Westfall
08-06-2012, 9:29 PM
He's working his way in quite nicely.......;)

I think he's already there!!!

Greg Peterson
08-06-2012, 9:35 PM

It won't end with your office. Frankie will infiltrate all aspects of your domicile. There may even come a day when chuckle at the thought of original plan of limiting him to the garage.

Clarence Miller
08-06-2012, 10:05 PM
a cat is great company but sanding cat hair out of a top coat is a bummer. Also make sure that they are scared of the dust collector as the bottom bag makes a tempting scratching post. I'm always afraid that my fur-ball buddy may taste spilled finish (he's lovable but not excessively bright) so he stays in the house when I am finishing.

Jake Helmboldt
08-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Litterbox regardless of his "home" is needed, even if he can come and go as he chooses. If you have him relegated to the shop or basement I would put in a cat door to let him go out rather than be confined to a single space. As others have alluded, a pile of sawdust will be the litterbox at some point likely if he doesn't have his own "toilet". A lot of folks don't like having outdoor cats, but we've never been able to keep an indoor cat; they have been insistent about going out. We lost one to a neighbor's dog, but have had several that lived to nearly 20 years. We have quite the menagerie with 2 dogs, 2 cats and six chickens. Everyone gets along just fine, even though one dog is a "mean, evil" pit bull (that chaperones the hens). A well-socilaized cat is a fun, low maintenance pet that you'll likely find becomes your shop buddy.

ian maybury
08-07-2012, 8:29 PM
A belated input on this thread. Cats are fabulous company and very sociable, but it's important to not to try to dominate them and to keep the vibe nice and calm. To relate on a give and take basis - stay tuned to the cats behaviour, read the body and other language and respond accordingly. They like space and calm, and don't like noise, anger, uptight vibes and people that come on strong, project their fantasies on them and treat them like some sort of romanticised stuffed toy.

They don't do the dog thing of groveling when threatened - they will leave, and if really put to it may lash out.

They are naturally extremely clean and hygienic, but they need free access to a litter tray or outside (cat flap?) and habits once established can be hard to overcome..

Neutering is in one way a pity, but toms tend to spray if left past a certain point (and then it's very hard to train them out of it) and the hormones tend to drive them to continuous wandering and an early death. Females calm down quite a lot too, but the surgery is quite hard on them. (can't believe nobody has come up with a better way) Trouble is you will be knee deep in kittens in a year or two if they are not done - the females anyway.

They like a scratching pole, and generally don't scratch stuff in the house unless something is causing stress.

De-clawing is a terrible thing to do to any poor animal...

Workshops may or may not mix. Some find it hard to get used to the noises, others don't mind at all. Most are happy to do lots of 'snoopervision'. They like to hang out, be around, keep an eye on what you are doing - but never would admit to it...

ian

The snoopervisor (:) on an afternoon off - got zapped by a sunbeam, and lost the power of her legs):

Greg Peterson
08-08-2012, 1:09 AM
So true, so true....... (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cat_kill)

Curt Harms
08-08-2012, 7:37 AM
Erik Loza (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?89866-Erik-Loza)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/statusicon/user-offline.png

Frida and Diego...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/LaundryKids.jpg

Frida with my wife...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/JennyandFreida-BW.jpg

Helping dad fix the sink...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/396792_4029266683955_1840857157_n.jpg

"Dad, look what I found!" (the package of pipe cleaners, which he must've brought upstairs in the night, one at a time)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/580920_3978499414805_1158494027_n.jpg

The TRUE balance of power among pets in the Loza household...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/183689_119834088093709_2363270_n.jpg

I'd say someone in the Loza household is a skilled photographer. Very nice.

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2012, 8:07 AM
Since we're sharing photos . . .

Paul McGaha
08-08-2012, 8:12 AM
This thread is enough to make a dog guy go and get himself a cat.

More pictures please.

PHM

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2012, 8:38 AM

More pictures please.

PHM

Spooky has always loved flowers. Tassie is quite the contortionist. We have to vacuum "her" chair frequently. :rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2012, 10:03 AM
And since we're discussing cats, indoors versus outdoors, here's some interesting info. The University of Georgia attached "kitty cams" to some prowling housecats.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/kittycam-study-finds-cats-virtual-killing-machines-214018851.html

daniel lane
08-08-2012, 10:40 AM
And since we're discussing cats, indoors versus outdoors, here's some interesting info. The University of Georgia attached "kitty cams" to some prowling housecats.

ROFL! "So what are cats killing? Lizards, snakes and frogs (41 percent); chipmunks and vols (25 percent); insects and worms (20 percent) and, of course, birds (12 percent)." Methinks the UGA study doesn't speak well for UT fans! :p

And since we're sharing pics, here's Norman, my best friend for years:

daniel

ian maybury
08-08-2012, 1:14 PM
Nice cats.

Here's Orson feeling a little cautious:

Think the huge benefit cats bring is the calm vibe....

ian

Erik Loza
08-08-2012, 1:33 PM

More pictures please.

PHM

We have both and love different things about them, but equally. All members of the family and would not want to be without either.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Rick Moyer
08-08-2012, 9:01 PM

More pictures please.

PHM

The tuxedo male is Trooper (black and white!) and all black female is Monster.

Tom Ruflin
08-09-2012, 12:13 PM
We have an indoor cat and we use www.softpaws.com/

a little bit of pain to put on and you have to replace them as cats shed their claws but they work.

Don Morris
08-10-2012, 8:37 AM
I tried to include these photos on my last posts but forgot how to with my IMac. Finally remembered how to, so here they are. This is snicker (short for snickerdoodle) our neighbors cat. They got a new dog who pesters him and he just doesn't like that so, he comes here where it's more calm. You can train a dog to do what you want, but you can't make a cat do what he doesn't want to. His owners and we understand that and accept it. I even pay his Vet bills now. One shot is of snicker on my Table Saw, on top of the plans inside the frame of a clock I'm in the process of making. The other shows him remaining in bed, to get more sleep, after we left for breakfast. He frequently is in my lap or on the table at breakfast. Snicker likes human company. But, he definitely is an outdoor cat and keeps his claws sharp by scraping them on rugs, and other things. I have to put a towel or something on my legs in the summer if I have shorts on, as he kneads and purrs when I pet him. The tips of his claws go right through thin cloth. A cantakerous but loving cat, he is easing the loss of our beloved Sara, who passed away several years ago.

ian maybury
08-13-2012, 8:18 PM
I was too embarrassed to post a picture of two of our guys busted in our bed, but see below. He's a nice looking guy Don, looks relaxed and happy and sending out the vibe. We have several cats, but more than half strayed in much like your guy.

:p Don't worry Matt, he'll have you wrapped around his paw in a few weeks....

Try not to come the heavy if stuff goes wrong, the biggest cause of intractable issues with cats is a stressful environment. They figure out amazing stuff, but they don't do sequential/consequential logic all that well...

ian

Greg Peterson
08-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Try not to come the heavy if stuff goes wrong, the biggest cause of intractable issues with cats is a stressful environment.

Yeah, cats have an amazingly low tolerance for human stress. They know when someone is unhappy and rarely have any interest in hanging around to see how it ends. They keep notes too.

Curt Harms
08-14-2012, 8:19 AM

These guys obviously own the place. They let us live here as long as we pay the mortgage and utilities and keep the food dishes filled.

Here's the snoozervisor helping Dad with a computer problem/upgrade.

Paul McGaha
08-14-2012, 9:06 AM

These guys obviously own the place. They let us live here as long as we pay the mortgage and utilities and keep the food dishes filled.

Here's the snoozervisor helping Dad with a computer problem/upgrade.

The snoozervisor seems to have decided it's a good time to take a break.

PHM

Greg Peterson
08-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Sun beams are like a stun gun to cats. At first contact they tend to roll around a bit, but ultimately become immobilized. Usually a gentle shake of the kitty treat container or opening a fresh can of cat food usually revives them.

Whoever walks into the kitchen in the morning is meet with a very vocal demand from Reverb for her breakfast. More than once I have dished up her breakfast only to find out the wife had dished her up earlier in the morning. What a con artist. Good thing Reverb can't type, otherwise I'm sure she would be working the internet, scamming old ladies out of tweety birds and mieces.

Kevin Gregoire
08-16-2012, 6:30 PM
its nice to see so many cat lovers, i have had cats most all of my life. we have two indoor cats (Peanut & Squeak)
my mother feeds the outdoor strays and has been doing that for 15-20 years or so? Squeak is one of those that would come around for food and water every day among
many others and we would have plenty of food set out so never any fighting between any of them. she would poke her head in the door once in awhile looking for our
indoor cat but that was all and on her way she would go. the indoor cat we had many years ago was the smartest animal you could imagine, you could sit and have a
conversation with him and he knew exactly what you were saying. we had him for nine years but quickly developed a respirtory problem and died one night but a few weeks
later Squeak poked her head in the door like she usually did but then she just came right in and walked down the hallway and turned down another hall and went straight into
the bedroom and sat on the spot that our cat died, you want to talk about being freaked out over that!!

unfortunately we are now having problems with Squeak as she isnt really eating much so we had her over to the vet the first of the week and he thought she was having a
problem with stomach enzymes so we have her on a different eating schedule but it isnt working very good so im fearing the worst that we might have to put her to sleep.
nothing we dread more then when one of our feline family members pass away.

i would love to be a millionaire or billionaire as i would be spending a lot of money building a giant feline rescue/care facility with a on-call Vet to perform free spay/neuters and
various surgeries and also donating tons of money to various shelters all over the country. but all we can do now on our very limited budget is take one of the strays and get it
spayed/neutered from time to time. its fairly cheap and i wish more people would do it with there pets as it takes care of so many problems but mostly calming a cat down,
keeping them from spraying all the time and just generally better for their health!

i hope nobody DECLAWS their cats!! there is nothing more cruel then declawing a cat!
please read the below info and check out the link before declawing
http://www.declawing.com/ (http://www.declawing.com/)

Before you make the decision to declaw your cat, there are some important facts you should know. Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing.

Orange is Squeak
Black is Peanut
Tiger Stripe is Poobear RIP

239276 239277

Belinda Barfield
08-16-2012, 7:58 PM
Got to pet new rescue for the first time yesterday. He is a beautiful cat. I have to find a home for him though, because last Saturday I spent 117 bucks on cat food.

Curt Harms
08-20-2012, 9:06 AM
Got to pet new rescue for the first time yesterday. He is a beautiful cat. I have to find a home for him though, because last Saturday I spent 117 bucks on cat food.

This post reminded me of a sorta kitten rescue story from years ago. I found a kitten wandering alone where I was working. Picked it up, brought it home and gave it something to eat without a clue what I was gonna do with it. A friend saw it and adopted it. She was one of a group of girls living together and working in high end restaurants. I was living on the 5 B's -- Bread, Butter, Baloney, Beans and Beer. That cat was dining on Prime rib, Tenderloin and Lobster Thermidore!! What's wrong with this picture? :confused:

:D

Matt Meiser
08-20-2012, 9:11 AM
My wife and daughter finally got Frankie to the vet on Saturday. Yes, that's an eye infection which the vet said is common and caused by a virus. They gave us a bag of treats to give him that will build his immunity to the virus. They ran all the standard tests and the vet has proclaimed him a good healthy cat. The vet got a good laugh from my daughter's list of questions...."What CAN'T I use to make toys for him?..." He'll be getting fixed for Thanksgiving/Christmas. I was surprised--the vet recommended that we keep his food full at all times and let him eat whatever he wants. He said when he's an adult, IF he develops a weight problem we'll start controlling consumption then. That's the complete opposite of the advise he gave us on the dog--he has us control the dog's food to a fairly precise amount morning and night.

Sunday we picked up a cat condo scratching post thing and some catnip oil spray as recommended by the vet to attract him to the scratching post. The decision has been made that he'll be moving into the basement by the time school starts in a couple weeks.

Rod Sheridan
08-20-2012, 9:17 AM
This post reminded me of a sorta kitten rescue story from years ago. I found a kitten wandering alone where I was working. Picked it up, brought it home and gave it something to eat without a clue what I was gonna do with it. A friend saw it and adopted it. She was one of a group of girls living together and working in high end restaurants. I was living on the 5 B's -- Bread, Butter, Baloney, Beans and Beer. That cat was dining on Prime rib, Tenderloin and Lobster Thermidore!! What's wrong with this picture? :confused:

:D

What's wrong with that?

That's simple, lack of planning on your part Curt!

You should have told the girls you were a package deal and you could have been adopted along with the cat..............LOL................Regards, Rod.

Belinda Barfield
08-20-2012, 9:43 AM
My wife and daughter finally got Frankie to the vet on Saturday. Yes, that's an eye infection which the vet said is common and caused by a virus. They gave us a bag of treats to give him that will build his immunity to the virus. They ran all the standard tests and the vet has proclaimed him a good healthy cat. The vet got a good laugh from my daughter's list of questions...."What CAN'T I use to make toys for him?..." He'll be getting fixed for Thanksgiving/Christmas. I was surprised--the vet recommended that we keep his food full at all times and let him eat whatever he wants. He said when he's an adult, IF he develops a weight problem we'll start controlling consumption then. That's the complete opposite of the advise he gave us on the dog--he has us control the dog's food to a fairly precise amount morning and night.

Sunday we picked up a cat condo scratching post thing and some catnip oil spray as recommended by the vet to attract him to the scratching post. The decision has been made that he'll be moving into the basement by the time school starts in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the update Matt. Cats are nibblers, unlike dogs. I feed our cats wet food morning and evening (some days they eat it all, some days not) and dry food is out at all times. Getting them to drink water is the most difficult thing. My friend has two cats who are really overweight. They each get 1/3 cup of food morning and night. Play is the biggest difference between the weight of my cats, and ours. Our cat gets a lot of play time, hers don't.

In my experience the catnip spray isn't quite enough. You may want to try rubbing dried catnip onto/into the scratching post and sprinkling it on the base. Cats do understand "no" so if you catch Frankie scratching something he shouldn't, tell him no and remove him from the area. My black cat used to scratch my chair when I was reading and he thought I should be playing with him. Actually now he just puts his paws up on the arm to get my attention.

One thing I don't recall being mentioned, check out your houselplants for toxicity. If "cat grass" isn't available some cats will chew on houseplants.

Matt Meiser
08-20-2012, 9:50 AM
That won't be a problem--we can't keep plants alive in the house. Heck, we can barely keep them alive outside...

Greg Peterson
08-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Cats do understand "no" so if you catch Frankie scratching something he shouldn't, tell him no and remove him from the area. My black cat used to scratch my chair when I was reading and he thought I should be playing with him. Actually now he just puts his paws up on the arm to get my attention.

If/when you catch Frankie scratching anywhere other than the post, pick him up and lower him at the scratch post, making sure he drags his paws on the post as you lower him. He'll figure it out pretty quickly.

And, as Belinda said, they do understand no. But their reaction is more like, "Drat, foiled again. I'll return you silly human!"

Belinda Barfield
08-20-2012, 11:31 AM
And, as Belinda said, they do understand no. But their reaction is more like, "Drat, foiled again. I'll return you silly human!"

Yep! I know full well that the cats dance on the countertops when I'm not around.:D When I get home from work they are sitting innocently waiting for me in the hallway . . . just under the upper bar at the end of the kitchen.

Don Morris
08-20-2012, 12:15 PM
I was going to send an email earlier to let you know that a certain percentage of cats aren't attracted to cat nip odor. But had to wait until my computer was unoccupied. My wife picked Snicker off the key board and put him on the floor, but he jumped up onto the key board again and proceeded to lay down on it. You see...that's where the action was, and he wasn't going to be far from it. OK, he won. After a while, he just went to sleep. My old cat of several years ago, Sara, paid no attention to cat nip, the spray, odor or whatever form in which it was sold. We bought various "cat nip" scented animal play toys and various other attractants guaranteed to get your cats attention, all to no avail. Feathers on a string or small fluffy balls tossed on the floor were about the only way to get her to play games. And at that only when she was young. But since she was a Tonkinese, you could play "talk" games with her back and forth for several minutes. I often thought if people saw me talking to my cat, I wondered what they would think.