PDA

View Full Version : How many different chargers do you have?

johnny means
07-30-2012, 9:50 PM
Whats the minimum number of chargers you need for your cordless tools?

Paul McGaha
07-30-2012, 10:20 PM
I voted 2. The only battery operated tools I have are (2) 18 volt Makita battery drills.

PHM

Matt Meiser
07-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Two. Milwaukee M18 for everything but a Festool CXS.

Err...Make that three because I bought the Festool Syslite last week too. But that's a little different.

Well, and if you count the rechargable batteries and charger I keep with the camera I keep in the shop...

Don't get me started on mobile electronics too.

Greg R Bradley
07-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Including work and personal, I have 14 unique chargers, not including duplicates, although 4 "systems" are rarely used.

John Coloccia
07-30-2012, 11:00 PM
I have an old charger for my battle axe Hitachi drill, and a charger for my Makita drill and impact driver. Oh, and the charger for my Airshield helmet. I try to keep it simple.

Rick Potter
07-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Two. 12V for my Milwaukee stuff, 18V for my Makita stuff. Hardly use the 18V now.

Wish I could say the same for chargers in the house, with computers, kindles, cell phones, and cameras, it is getting absolutely ridiculous. Don't forget toothbrushes and shavers, too.

Rick Potter

daniel lane
07-31-2012, 12:14 AM
One. Long time ago, I went all yellow XRP - made life easy, even at multiple voltages. I still haven't moved to LI because I don't want to deal with more chargers! :)

daniel

Cary Falk
07-31-2012, 4:15 AM
Two. 12V and 18V Bosch

Van Huskey
07-31-2012, 5:49 AM
Three for me. 18 and 28v Dewalt and 18v Ryobi for a set I have had since their 18v came out and I just can't kill...

Gary Max
07-31-2012, 6:00 AM
You forgot ----NONE.
I just can't bring myself to buy a tool that is going to die in a year.

John Coloccia
07-31-2012, 6:13 AM
My Makita is 2 years old, and my Hitachi is at least 7 years old. Before that, my Porter Cable lasted almost 10 years.

Jerome Stanek
07-31-2012, 6:31 AM
one A super charger by ewalt that charges many different brands and does it

Paul Sikorski
07-31-2012, 6:46 AM
One I got a dewalt lith ion set for Christmas Love it got rid of all my others. I have to say I was surprised how much more I use the driver over the drill.

Ed Griner
07-31-2012, 6:53 AM
I just replaced all my cordles tools(4) with Dewalt 20V lithium types,this allowed me to have only one extra battery and two chargers. (5) Batteries total.

Rich Engelhardt
07-31-2012, 7:41 AM
Dont count redundant chargers.
Sorry - but - I feel it's neccesary since the redundant chargers, while they charge the same batteries, are unique devices unto themselves.
For instance, I have three seperate chargers for my 18V B&D cordless drills. One is a single battery charger that slips over the battery. Another one plugs into the drill - but - the battery can still be removed and placed in a seperate charger, and the last is a two battery charger. I generally run all three at the same time when I'm working on something.

With all the other cordless tools thrown in, I have in excess of five - not counting the redundant B&D 18V chargers.

I'm w/Rick - when all the chargers in the house are added in it get's rediculous real quick.

I just wish the manufacturers out there would put some sort of marking on the chargers so it would help ID what tool/battery they went with.

Matt Meiser
07-31-2012, 8:08 AM
You forgot ----NONE.
I just can't bring myself to buy a tool that is going to die in a year.

I can't either, that's why I've only bought good cordless tools.

Greg R Bradley
07-31-2012, 10:21 AM
I can't either, that's why I've only bought good cordless tools.

I have several that are more than 20 years old. Quite a few that are more than 10 years old.

Paul McGaha
07-31-2012, 10:40 AM
I think it's all in what you do with them.

Electricians doing commercial electrical work (working with conduit or metal clad cable) use them for driviing hole saws in metal enclosures a lot. Very hard on the drills. Can wear out a really good drill like a Bosch Brute in a year. The guys really should use a 120 volt drill for that but ......

I've had my 18 volt Makita's in my hobbiest workshop at least 6 years. No telling how long they'll last. For the most part I use them for countersink bits and driving screws. Not a hard task for them.

PHM

David Hostetler
07-31-2012, 10:50 AM
I didn't vote. You did not include a zero option. I have chosen, after repeatedly being let down at the worst possible moment in a project by cordless tools, that all of my power tools will be wall powered. I am keenly aware that I am pretty much a dinosaur in this regard, but I just don't think cordless tool technology is fully up to the task yet.

It's not the tool itself that is the problem, is the batteries. They always seem to pick the worst time to die....

IF I were to go cordless, I would probably go with the Ryobi One+ 18V tools just because the same battery works in all the different tools, so if I run down the battery in my drill, I should have one ready to go on the charger...

Charles Wiggins
07-31-2012, 11:08 AM
All of my cordless tools are Ryobi One 18v, and I have two Lithium batteries and the charger. I still have the NiCd battery and charger that came with the set, but I never use them.

Mike Henderson
07-31-2012, 11:16 AM
DeWalt 18V chargers, DeWalt 12V chargers, and a Festool CSX charger. I can't imagine being limited to corded tools. For example, if I want to use a drill outside somewhere, I just take my cordless drill to the site and drill a hole. If I had to use a corded tool, I'd have to get the extension cord, find a place to plug it, hook everything up, drill the hole, then unplug the extension cord and coil it up, put the extension cord away, and then put the drill away.

I have at least two batteries for all my tools so if I'm doing a big job, I can have one charging while I'm using the other.

This doesn't mean I don't use corded tools. For example, when I need to large drill holes in concrete, I pull out my big corded hammer drill. But that's a very unusual situation.

And regarding battery life. When I first started using cordless tools, the batteries didn't last a long time. The current batteries seem to be MUCH better. I have DeWalt 18V batteries that are quite a few years old - I don't even remember when I bought them. They'll get retired eventually, probably because the tool is too heavy compared to modern Li-ion based tools, not because they failed.

Mike

Harvey Melvin Richards
07-31-2012, 12:36 PM
I have at least five, I'm a tool hoarder.

Gary Crompton
07-31-2012, 5:40 PM
I have five, C3 19.2volt Craftsman all they way. Made the decision when they came out to only buy them, that way everything is the same. I had other types years ago and got tired of having all the different chargers and couldn't use one battery in a different drill. You can buy a new drill w/battery if you watch the sales for less than fifty bucks. They keep in your refrigerator for years.