PDA

View Full Version : Need help with measurment !

greg lindsey
07-30-2012, 7:49 PM
Well I guess either my math skills are not as good as I thought or the fact that I've been out in the Texas heat way too long today.

I am putting in an above ground pool. I have a deck that is 16' x 16'. The pool is 15' dia. The pool will be centered in the deck. NOW, I want to put an outdoor carpet around the dia of the pool. Not wanting to cover the entire deck (too costly) just the outer diameter. The carpet is sold in 12' long rolls, trying to figure how much carpet will be needed. Any help is certinally welcomed. I know this is probably pretty simple, but I just can't figure it out today.

Robert McGowen
07-30-2012, 8:11 PM
256 square foot deck minus 201 square foot circle = 55 square feet of carpet, which would only be 5' off of a 12' roll. There will be a lot of waste though, so 5' is the minimum amount you will need. Also, I guess you realize that the deck will only be 6" wide at 4 different points. You could always cover one of the corners of the deck and then get 3 times that amount of carpet to cover the other 3 corners. It doesn't look like there will be room for anything other than a chair on each corner of the deck though.

greg lindsey
07-30-2012, 8:25 PM
Thanks Robert, yea the deck is really only for the pool and I figured I could use the drop from ther corners to cover the four 6" wide sections. The problem was trying to determine how wide to buy the 12' roll to cover the corners and splice in any remaining exposed areas. BTW, the carpet is really only just to cover the wood for looks.

Greg R Bradley
07-30-2012, 9:53 PM
Is the deck built for that weight? Did you say WOOD deck?

4' deep is 248 pounds per sq ft. That is just the water, not the pool or people. If it is 4' deep, call it 14,000 pounds.

Robert McGowen
07-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Is the deck built for that weight? Did you say WOOD deck?

4' deep is 248 pounds per sq ft. That is just the water, not the pool or people. If it is 4' deep, call it 14,000 pounds.

Water volume would be measured in cubic feet, not square feet. A cubic foot is ~62.4 lbs. With a volume of 707 cubic feet, the water would be over 44,000 lbs. in total weight. I am guessing that the pool is sitting on the ground and the deck is built around it.

Myk Rian
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm thinking it's a bit strange idea. Only 6" on 4 sides of the deck.
Have you considered a round deck?

ray hampton
07-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Water volume would be measured in cubic feet, not square feet. The water would be over 200,000 lbs. in total weight. I am guessing that the pool is sitting on the ground and the deck is built around it.

the pool is above ground and will be until the weight of the water cave the deck in

how high will the deck be above the ground ?

Greg R Bradley
07-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Sorry, typo as I thought I typed 44,000 pounds.

Each square foot of deck has 4 cubic feet of water sitting on it, which weighs 248 pounds.

15' diameter pool has 176.714 square feet of area. Cubic foot of water weighs 62 pounds so one foot deep is 10,956 pounds. 4' deep is 43,825 pounds plus pool plus people equals I hope it is sitting on the ground!

It sounds like he has a wood deck and thinking of putting carpet down before OR after he adds the pool.

greg lindsey
07-31-2012, 1:12 AM
The deck is sitting over a concrete pad that was existing, but was only about 14'x 14', added the deck above it, so it's sitting on 2 x 12 x 16 runners 12" spaced with concrete footings on the outer perimeter, it isn't going anywhere. Couldn't add to the concrete pad due to easement regulations, it was OK to build over but the electric company wouldn't let me dig.

I wanted to add the carpet prior to putting the pool up, ended up going to the HD and the flooring guy sold me roll of outdoor carpet on a clearance deal, about 70% off. Now covering entire deck. Problem solved.

I should have just decided to cover the whole deck to start with. This is one of those projects that got out of hand quick. $800.00 pool sitting on a $1600.00 deck, two weeks later, fighting with HOA and electric co. and the Texas heat, I'm ready to be done with it.