PDA

View Full Version : First Segmented Piece with Accent Ring

Tom Winship
07-30-2012, 6:08 PM
I just completed my first segmented piece with and accent ring. I am proud of it, although I am more proud of the finish.
The bowl is 8" diameter by 5" high and has 152 segments (including star and diamonds). Made from beech, maple, and purple heart. The star is mesquite and cherry.
For the finish, I used General's WTF, but applied it on lathe with the lathe rotated as slow as it would go (60 RPM approx). Applied with multiple folded paper shop towel. 5 coats, the sand with 600 Abrinet, and 0000. Then 2 more coats, 0000, and buff with beeswax.

Anyway, comments and criticism welcome.

James Combs
07-30-2012, 6:30 PM
That is some very nice work Tom. Not really into doing segmented myself but really appreciate what you segmenting guys can do.

Mike Tilley
07-30-2012, 6:32 PM
Tom what a great looking bowl it really works for me hard to believe it is your first one i like the star in the bottom!
I purchased some WTF last week haven't used any yet is it a friction finish since you put it on with the lathe running or did you just let it run to help drying time?
Again nice bowl Mike

Tim Boger
07-30-2012, 7:11 PM
Very nice, the star is superb. Well done.

Tim

Roger Chandler
07-30-2012, 7:21 PM
Great accomplishment for a fairly new turner Tom! I want to learn to do segmenting......even got Mr. Tibbett's book....have not had a chance to get to read it yet. I agree the star on the bottom is nicely done...........your overall design is good as well, and most of the joints seem to be fairly tight........

congratulations on a fine piece!

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-30-2012, 7:49 PM
Well, you should be proud. The design is very pleasing, the choice of woods makes for a great combination and you chose my favorite shape. How did you know?? Don't stop now, Tom. You're on a roll.
faust

Tom Winship
07-30-2012, 7:56 PM
is it a friction finish since you put it on with the lathe running or did you just let it run to help drying time?

Mike, I had used it before just wiping it on off the machine. Got a lot of "pimples", etc. I wasn't using it as a friction finish but rather used the lathe to evenly apply it. Started at one end with a full brush (towel) and eased my way across the length, adding more to the towel as needed. Then went to the ID and repeated. Actually the pictures don't do the finish on the outside justice. It looks like glass. I would have to say that is the smoothest finish I have put on anything in my almost 70 years.

Jim Burr
07-30-2012, 7:58 PM
Uh huh...first since last week! The parts are great and well put together...done good Tom!

Dennis Ford
07-30-2012, 8:19 PM
It is a beauty.

Harry Robinette
07-30-2012, 8:43 PM
Very nice piece, especially since it's your first.

neil mackay
07-30-2012, 9:06 PM
Tom for a first piece you can be deservedly proud. Its a very fine piece with very good glue lines, not too mention the design and shape.

Tom Winship
07-30-2012, 9:50 PM
This is not my first segmented piece, everyone. My first was several months ago. It is my first piece with an accent ring. Sorry for the confusion. I am the confused one.

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Tom that is a beauty and well done. I love the star in the bottom. Accent ring looks great.

Kathy Marshall
07-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Great job Tom! The accent ring looks great as does the star. Great wood combo and a very nice form and finish!

Michelle Rich
07-31-2012, 5:36 AM
you should be proud..this took time & patience. The star is a nice surprise in the bottom. Very well done.

Baxter Smith
07-31-2012, 1:06 PM
Very nice design Tom! Well done!

Prashun Patel
07-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Wow. Real nice. First? Sandbagger...

Tom Winship
08-01-2012, 8:24 AM
First? Sandbagger...

First with accent ring, now I'm hooked on them. Thanks.