PDA

View Full Version : Hand Tool Restoration

Derek Burlingame
07-30-2012, 12:45 PM
I am certain this subject has been thoroughly discussed in previous threads. Links to this will be appreciated.
I just inherited several old Stanley Hand Planes and assorted Chisels. What I want to know are the steps needed for restoring these as much as possible. What types of abrasives and solvents are good, etc.? Also, I plan on making new handles for the chisels and want to know what is the best type or species of wood to turn?
I would like to post the progress. -Derek

Zach Dillinger
07-30-2012, 1:12 PM
I've had good luck with citric acid as a rust remover. White vinegar works great too, if you can stand the smell (I used to prefer vinegar but now use CA). Obviously, the 4 1/2 in the first photo isn't worth messing with, take the parts off and hold on to 'em for another plane. The 7, 3, 78 and 113 appear to be in good shape and should clean up. Most of the other stuff is useable as is, with maybe some paste wax to clean 'em up. As for chisel handles, just about any wood will do, as long as it is a fairly hard. Maple, hickory, dogwood, ash, or beech will all make superior handles for mallet use. For paring chisels, use something that you like, as just about anything will hold up for just paring.

One of the best resources I can point you to is Cian Perez's Hand Tool site. http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/Wood_How_To/INDEX_How_To.htm

Nice haul! Do they have sentimental value?

Derek Burlingame
07-30-2012, 1:16 PM
Zach,
Your response is exactly what I was hoping for. I will follow your steps. Yes, they are sentimental. My lady's brother in law was in his 80's and died a couple of months ago. I told his family that I will treasure them and keep them as long as possible. -Derek

Jim Koepke
07-30-2012, 1:54 PM
Derek,

Welcome to the cave by the Creek.

Near the top of the Neanderthal Haven conference is Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs. There are a few threads in there about plane restoration including mine:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373-Fettling-A-Plane-from-Junker-to-Jointer

Good luck with that nice haul, and be sure to share some pictures with us when you get them cleaned up.

jtk

Derek Burlingame
07-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Jim, your tutorial is awesome! I spent some time today tearing my No 7 apart and cleaning it. I didn't find as much rust as I did grease and sawdust. I mixed a little crud remover with some gas and used a toothbrush and small wire brush to get in the tight places. The outsides of the main body had discolored so much that I used some Emery Cloth and 0000 Steel Wool to make it look how I wanted. I then took a little Johnson's Paste Wax to protect the sides. I think I will tear it down again and go over the tutorial step by step. I know that new condition is not possible but good usable is what I am looking for. Thanks again for the responses. -Derek

steven c newman
08-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Another site would be the one that Major Panic has about hand tools.. Me, I'm doing another (yes, another) Craftsman #3. 238178238179We're getting there.....

Bill White
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Whatever ya do, quit usin' gasoline. We don't wanna hear about an explosion, fire, and injury.
Bill

rick carpenter
08-05-2012, 2:07 PM
There's nothing like restoring an old plane to get a feel of how it works and how to work with it. Tearing open a box and pulling out a new plane (and yes I know new ones need sharpening and adjusting first) just doesn't... are you ready for this?... cut it.