PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
07-30-2012, 8:40 AM
30 July 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
It's been crazy hot and dry here and I'm way past the point of wanting fall/winter to arrive. Last forecast I saw said it is supposed to be 110º F here today and that is just stupid hot.!!!!

No woodworking for me this weekend and I go oncall this morning, so you know what my current week is going to be like. ;)

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
07-30-2012, 9:30 AM
Very productive (but tiring) weekend here. I arrived home from a work trip Wednesday early afternoon with more than 40 billable hours under my belt so other than about a 1/2 day Thursday I was off the rest of the week. I:
- Moved all the appliances and big furniture from the dining room, kitchen, laundry, foyer, and hall in preparation for a flooring install that started Thursday.
- Finished sanding and staining all the doors for the laundry cabinets and got the first 2 coats of EM6000 sprayed. They just need a quick sanding and a final coat.
- Made, finished, and installed a good portion of the transitions strips from the carpet to the new flooring. There's 2 sectons left to do after those sections of flooring are installed today.
- Painted the laundry room and laid out the top line of the wainscot around the room.
- Fixed a motion sensor wire for the alarm that was hidden behind a door casing that they undercut for the new floor. Oops!
- Decided to remove a wall phone in our laundry because we are going to dump our land line imminently. After painting of course but I got it patched and painted.
- Got a cat.
- Made a Woodcraft/Harbor Freight/Lowes/Home Depot/Grocery run.
- Removed the rest of the baseboard trim the floor installers didn't have to remove and denailed it so LOML can sand, touchup, and refinish. Amazing how beat up the baseboard trim gets.
- Looked one last place at appliances for the upcoming kitchen remodel. They advertised "Quality Name Brands" but maybe we were in the wrong department as all I could find was Whirlpool corporate brands.
- Did a little straightening in the shop so that I can get started on wainscot components this week.
- And still visited my parents for our usual Sunday dinner AND a Saturday dinner since one of my brothers came for a visit. And did some laundry over there since our washer and dryer are living on the deck right now.

Jefferey Scott
07-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Good Morning everyone!

I finished building the cabinet box/face frame #22 of 23 for my kitchen remodel. I ran out of plywood and my distributor is not open weekends so I'm going to make a wood run and stock up on more plywood for the door and drawer fronts as well as solid 4/4" maple for the doors and drawers this Wednesday. Once I get this final pantry cabinet built, it will be time to start building the dovetail drawers for my project. Other than that I enjoyed some of the Olympic coverage with the family and dinner out last night. Hope everyone's weekend was a good one!

David Hostetler
07-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Due to a confluence of issues that have stacked up, I ran up against my companies maximum accrued leave time rules and was requested by my supervisor (voluntold) to take the last couple days of last week off. So I spent the time working on a miter saw / mortiser workbench / storage cabinet kind of gizmo. Part of the point behind doing this is to free up the west wall where the sub panel is about to go. We are prepping for electrical work, to be VERY quickly followed up by insulation and sheet rock. FWIW, right now my shop is only insulated in the doors and ceiling. Better than nothing, but I can feel the heat pumping in through the walls...

I got the main boxes built, and shimmed up so they are level to the floor, and the library cabinet mounted above. I have the shelves that are going under the mortiser cut, but not installed. I opted to go with a cheat, and just use cleats, screws and glue for the shelves. I have to pick up some more plywood this weekend as well as some soft close drawer slides. The miter saw cab is getting 2 rows of 3 5" deep drawers built and installed over large open storage compartments. I have space set aside to route plumbing for dust collection, so I should be good to go once the hood is on...

Got to catch some of the Olympics with LOML... I love having a DVR, I can fast forward through the events I don't really care about, and can watch what I want to see!

I have a couple more items to pick up for the electrician prior to install day. I am looking at being able to pull this off on the weekend of September 15th... We will see!

John Lytle
07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
No woodworking here. We closed on a short-sale property a little over a week ago. Definitely going to be an upgrade once we get construction work complete. The property is 5 acres with a ranch house and brand new pole/Morton building. The folks that sold the property had started building out the basement, basically having all the framing done. So, splitting construction and property work with my boys, they are handling electrical and plumbing while I work on clearing the back 1.5 acres of scub and weeds. The boys are making good progress, completing the majority of new wiring, I think with a few 'punch-list' items to complete. They will move on to plumbing this weekend and then we can start insulation and drywall. In the meantime, I cleaned up 120' x 250' of the back of the house to fence for our dogs and got a real good start clearing the back acre+. That will likely take more than another week, but quite a bit got cleared, so I am happy. The pole barn is sitting for now. Hopefully before winter I will be able to get a crew in to level the dirt, put in the gravel, level and pack and then pour a floor. I would really like to get all my stuff in there before winter but the main house has to come first.

Stay tuned.

John

Mike Heidrick
07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Bought a 2010 Traverse AWD for the wife that I pick up Wednesday.
Mounted the Comatic Flipper - spring loaded feeder tilting bracket. My mount was too flimsy. I will re-do it.
Gave a tour and a demo/lesson on CNC building.
First BLTs of the year with garden tomatos.
Picked a bunch of sweet corn. Need to put that up soon.
Lot of naps.

Shawn Pixley
07-30-2012, 10:56 PM
I was going to take the weekend off from woodworking, but that didn't work out. After romping the shop dog at the dog park (what does it say when your dog has a better social life than you do?), I stopped by the local Woodcraft. Bill had tracked down three slabs that followed me home. Two were Chinese Elm and one was California Pepper. Sunday I decided to do a one-day project as a gift for my nephew. From nothing to something in one day.

I found a piece of birch a while back at one of the Borgs. Just birch you might ask? Well I grabbed it because it was curly. I had a bunch of other scraps of walnut and curly maple that were looking for a home. By supper time, I had a nice little box awaiting finish.