PDA

View Full Version : The wife's away so the lathe will play.

Bill Wyko
07-29-2012, 11:00 PM
First I'm building 4 segmented ashtrays. I already had a head start on them. In the evenings the rest of the week, i'm going to refinish the Teak kitchen I built 12 years ago. Then if I have time, I hope to fix some trim pieces that transition the tile to the wood floors. Kind of lofty ambitions but she deserves to come home to things being fixed up a little. :D Wish me luck.

Rick Markham
07-30-2012, 1:53 AM
Good luck :D

Ralph Lindberg
07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Sounds familiar, except that is what she said the last time I was gone.... But then when your wife is a turner also it's a good excuse for more toys, er ah tools

Bill Wyko
07-30-2012, 3:02 PM
Well, not off to a good start. I was using a skew to create a line that I could burn with a wire, didn't realize how thin I had turned it. I ended up parting off the top of one of the ashtrays. Not just any top half though, I had turned a lip on the inside and carved away the excess material between the area where the cigars sit. This allowed the cigar rests to protrude into the center. Had a couple hours into it. I glued it back together but it's less than 1/16 thick now so I wouldn't want my client to have an ashtray that came apart later. I guess this actually works out ok though, I always wanted one of my cigar trays. (they always go to someone else) I get to keep this one by default (or is that my fault).

Rick Markham
07-30-2012, 3:52 PM
Bill sorry to hear about your mishap, Nothing feels worse than inadvertantly turning your form too thin then parting a section of it off :(

Russell Eaton
07-30-2012, 5:17 PM
Bill that is AWFUL! I saw the one you posted on PM's Facebook page and it was incredible.