PDA

View Full Version : American Router Magazine

Rich Konopka
04-09-2005, 7:36 PM
I was flipping through the pages of the American Router Magazine and it struck me as odd that none of the tools used in the articles were from an "American Company". There were Festools, Triton, Metabo, Bosch, Fein, Trend, Hitachi, and some other stationary tools. The advertisments are American but none of the tools used in the articles are. Even the dimensions on some of the cutlists looked as if they were converted from metric to standard. Is this a rebadged import magazine? Is this what they refer to as global sourcing??:eek:

John Shuk
04-09-2005, 7:41 PM
I don't know what sort of sourcing they advocate. I do know that I'm not too impressed with the magazine. I guess I feel the focus is too narrow. I tend to enjoy magazines that "expand my horizons" a little.

Ray Bersch
04-09-2005, 8:12 PM
I picked up the latest issue also and was not at all impressed - the editing was terrible, missing words, misspellings, you name it. Also, they reviewed routers but only published a useless chart - not good. Indeed, it is from abroad, England. You can tell by some of the terms used - timber, for example.<O:p</O:p

I don't know how many issues have been published in the US, but I doubt it will last. I didn't keep my copy.<O:p</O:p

Ray

Tom Hintz
04-10-2005, 4:24 AM
American Router appears to be produced out of Florida by an arm of Lightning Publications, which is an English concern that does several other magazines in Europe.
Maybe this type of magazine and editing style is popular in Europe but it does not appear to be flying with a lot of American woodworkers who post their opinions on forums. The editing is lousy and some content appears to be repurposed material from their European authors.
It has the looks of a low-buck attempt at cashing in on the American market.

Glenn Clabo
04-10-2005, 7:23 AM
I also tried it for one subscription. I found it somewhat cartoonish/brochure like. Also there were many issues that I found nothing of value so I let it go.

John Strait
04-10-2005, 7:33 AM
I tried a years subscription to it for the first year that it was out and did not renew. I have not found the need to refer back to any issue I have.

John

Ian Barley
04-10-2005, 8:30 AM
For what the information is worth, "The Router" was the UK version of this magazine and my understanding is that pretty much it has been lifted and transplanted to the US. The magazine was very poor when it was published in the UK and at times appeared to be edited by not terribly gifted amateurs (at the world of publishing). It doesn't sound like the journey across the pond has improved it.

Lou Morrissette
04-10-2005, 10:41 AM
For what the information is worth, "The Router" was the UK version of this magazine and my understanding is that pretty much it has been lifted and transplanted to the US. The magazine was very poor when it was published in the UK and at times appeared to be edited by not terribly gifted amateurs (at the world of publishing). It doesn't sound like the journey across the pond has improved it.

I picked up an issue of "The Router" by mistake at an airport and left it on the plane. This new magazine is the same setup. I'd leave that one behind, also.:rolleyes:

Lou