PDA

View Full Version : Help with band saw blade selection

John Cooper2
07-29-2012, 9:11 PM
Hello Experts.

Just got my "reclaimed" Delta Homecraft 10" bandsaw back to life and it's time for a new blade. The old blade that is on there is dull and too big, the previous "owner" punched a couple holes in the top cover so they could adjust the tension and have the cover on. Guess it was too much to get the correct blade.

The blade that is on there is 72 1/2" and I believe that it should have been a 71 3/4"

Rite now this is my only band saw and I don't expect to be doing any resawing on it. I have a 27" monster in the wings that will be assigned that duty. I am looking for a blade that can do modest curves yet cut pretty straight if needed. I know this is not a power house of a bandsaw, but I hope that it will service me well untill I can get the monster and my Walker Turner 14" going. Those will be my keepers.

Don't expect to be cutting anything over 1" thick. Will be cutting some walnut, plywood, fir and pine.

Any suggestions / sources for a 71 3/4" blade?

Thanks
John

Bruce Wrenn
07-29-2012, 9:33 PM
Call Woodcraftbands, and get them to make you a 1/4", 6TPI, bi-metal blade. This is my do everything blade.

Van Huskey
07-29-2012, 9:48 PM
Woodcraftbands is a good source however a bi-metal blade for that saw would be a poor choice IMHO the saw will have a hard time getting proper tension on it.

A carbon steel band made by Lenox or Starrett would be my first choice. Depending on your cut requirements a 1/4" 6tpi blade is a good choice for most cuts you will ask that saw to make. Any good supplier will cut and weld to length the key is a good weld. My preference is Spectrumsupply.com but Iturra designs and Woodcraftbands are also excellent and all three carry either Starrett, Lenox or both. I avoid high silicon or Swedish steel blades as they dull much quicker than carbon bands and cost more.

Some of my general thoughts on bands: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149862-Lets-talk-bandsaw-blades!&highlight=lets+talk+bandsaw

John Cooper2
07-30-2012, 1:00 AM
Thanks Guys, will be calling Woodcraftbands in the morning and place an order. May just as well order a blade for my monster while I am at it. Will have to figure out how long it will need to be first.

Thanks

Van Huskey
07-30-2012, 10:39 AM
May just as well order a blade for my monster while I am at it. Will have to figure out how long it will need to be first.

Thanks

If you plan to use it as a resaw (particularly veneer) you will want a carbide tipped blade and you may want to spend some time researching the exact one you want since they are not cheap and since they need a LOT of tension they a little more thought in picking the width and gauge. What 27" saw is it? Some of the early mid-large saws aren't tension monsters, most of the post WWII saws have plenty of tension capability.

John Cooper2
07-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Van,

It's turn of the century (not the last one) so I expect that it would not tension a 1" blade. The intent is for just cutting big blocks, but would like to keep the option open for some venere cutting down the road.

The only identifying marks on it are "Silver" I have seen pics of several different branded ones that look real similar.

I will take a couple pics and post them later in the day.

Thanks
John

Van Huskey
07-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Thats exactly what I was guessing, Silver made a LOT of those 27" saws for themselves and others. I agree a 3/4" carbide blade would be as far as I would go but would feel comfortable with a wider carbon blade.

James Heisbert
07-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi! I like woodcraftbands but their blades are much more than I can afford for now. I found this site: sawblade.com, and would like to ask if their blades are worth trying? Has anyone experienced using their blades?