PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Top Lamenated Or Not

Ross Dinkens
07-29-2012, 8:42 PM
I am going to build a workbench and have searched for ideas for a top. I only have 1 inch hardwood, plywood, or 2 inch pine like 2x4 or 2x6 available to use. I have saw 8/4 hardwood or thicker used being lamenated to make top but I havent found any in my area yet. With what I have available I was going to use a few layers of plywood for top and 2x lumber to make base and maybe use hardwood around edge. Any problems with this or other ideas.

Van Huskey
07-29-2012, 8:55 PM
For an inexpensive bench with easy to source materials I like Bob Van Dyke's:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/PlansAndProjects/PlansAndProjectsPDF.aspx?id=34361

If you have FWW #223 it is in there.

rocky brown
07-29-2012, 9:08 PM
i made a bench a few years ago and used 2x for the frame, 2 layers of 3/4" mdf for the top, and maple around the edge of the mdf. i finished the mdf with shellac and after the top sheet got beat up, i flipped it over and had another new surface.

Jim Andrew
07-29-2012, 11:12 PM
When I built my bench, I used 2x oak, and ripped it 3 1/2" wide, drilled it and glued it together so the top was 3 1/2" thick. Used some 3/8" threaded rod to hold it together, and when I glued it up, used both the bolts and clamps to squeeze out the gaps. Did not glue the center, so I could take it apart and run it through my planer, and then glued the 2 halves together. You don't give a location, but check with forestry forum for a local sawmill operator.

Rick Fisher
07-30-2012, 12:53 AM
I had an MDF Bench top for years.. Worked fine .. After about 4 - 5 years, It had sagged and such.. it was done.. Having said that, it served me quite well..

I built a new bench out of Eastern Maple.. 2-3/4" thick strips glued together .. Its a more permanent structure .. should stand for 25 years..

A bench is a flat surface which makes woodworking more comfortable and is basically a tool.. The most important thing is to have a bench ..

Looking back, I would not want to build my Maple bench without having a bench to use during the building process.. lol .. It was a really big job..

hai hong
07-30-2012, 3:16 AM
I don't know if you are on a budget ,but there a guy on the other forum ( Woodnet )selling 2.5 x 25 x 72 Butcher block slab for $100 + shipping .You can pick maples / oak / hickory / cherry shipping is not that expensive ,average around $30 .

Ross Dinkens
07-30-2012, 9:55 PM
I went with butcher block slab for top. I wanted to make one but I can't find any hardwood here in southwest Indiana thicker than 4/4. I have called a few sawmills with no luck.

Carl Beckett
07-31-2012, 6:52 AM
Early on, I built a 2x4 bench from plans (shopnotes??) that had 2 layers of 3/4" plywood as a top. I added a metal vice on the front, and did the drawers per the plan as well. It was a fantastic bench!

If you are just starting out, I would recommend a simple bench and just get going with projects. You can build a super whammy bench later on, after you know the type of things you want to do.

This was the one I built (shopnotes 'weekend workbench') - it was great !

Ira Matheny
07-31-2012, 12:34 PM
I was able to obtian a piece of a large glu-laminated beam. A bit of time with the 4" belt sander and a a small amount of filler epoxy, Viola, one very substantial wook top. The Glu-Lam was made of dense Doug Fir.