PDA

View Full Version : Best Hollowing System Lasers?

Mark Levitski
07-29-2012, 4:04 PM
For only the laser part of the various systems out there, from your experience please rate them for stability, ease of adjustment and set-up, quality of beam, etc.

If you are worried about offending someone, like one of the advertisers or sponsors, then don't hold back, just PM me.

Thanks everyone...........Mark

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-29-2012, 5:38 PM
I have the laser from Advanced Lathe Tools LLC. It's the only one I have used so I can't really comment on the others out there. I've been using it for several years with no problems. I like the fact that the laser is set into a square beam rather than a round beam. This keeps the laser in a vertical position through out any adjustments in sliding it length wise. I have seen lasers with round beams that will twist to the left or right when adjusted making the laser shine to the left or right side of vertical. The lasers dot size is also adjustable from a fine dot to a larger size dot. I like to keep the dot size on the smaller side for me.

Jon Nuckles
07-29-2012, 10:09 PM
I have the Monster articulated and have not experienced any problems with the laser, though I have read of some problems on this forum. It is a square beam, so no rotation issues. The size of the dot is not adjustable as far as I can tell.

John Waver
07-30-2012, 8:23 AM
Mark, I've built a few laser rigs for some turners as a thank you for helping me learn this crazy hobby of turning. (Maybe I should curse them instead of thanking them.) :rolleyes: I'm not sure if I can post pics here of the setup. I don't want to step on toes about posting pics or pricing so you can PM me if you want.

John

Rick Markham
07-30-2012, 3:56 PM
Mark, having used both the Monster and the Kobra system, they are both sturdy and well designed laser systems. The Kobra's is a more robust system, the laser is brighter and it's easier for me to set up. (There is nothing wrong with the Monster system laser, it's just an observation between the two)