PDA

View Full Version : Attaching table top to the bottom

Jay Jolliffe
07-29-2012, 2:58 PM
This table will be used outside in a covered porch. It won't get wet from the rain & will be covered when not used. The top measures 108'' long, 38'' wide & 1 1/8'' thick. It's made from poplar & the base is pine. I used 237962 epoxy to glue it together. The finish table will be painted with high gloss oil base paint color will be John Deer Green.....That's right....John Deer Green. All the trim on the house is painted with it & the table this is replacing is painted the same. I don't know why the pic ended up in the middle but there you go...

Bill White
07-29-2012, 5:12 PM
I use the "Z" shaped tabletop clips. Cut the slots with a biscuit joiner. They allow the top to move with moisture changes.
All I have are are unfinished, so outdoor use will require painting and stainless or chromed screws.
Bill

frank shic
07-29-2012, 5:13 PM
drill some holes for screws and elongate them to allow for expansion and contraction of the table top. hope you post the finished pic soon!

Jim Matthews
07-29-2012, 5:37 PM
I like the Rockler "Eights" (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=786&site=ROCKLER) - their design allows the components to swivel along seasonal lines.

I don't own a biscuit cutter, and the countersinks can be made with a hand drill, which I do own.