PDA

View Full Version : Sister Bowl #3

Kathy Marshall
07-28-2012, 10:24 PM
It was a beautiful day out today, overcast and breezy. A good day for chainsawing. I had a couple of big ash logs left from a load I got about 8 months ago and they seemed to be in decent condition. I cut one of them up into a couple of big bowl blanks and some hf blanks. Then on to the bandsaw.
While I was at San Jose I picked up a set of Carter bandsaw guides and a new blade and with the weather so nice, I decided it would be a good time to get everything installed. The difference is amazing! I have never cut a blank so easily. The blade is a little thicker than the Bosch blades I've been getting at Lowe's. I don't know how much of the ease of cutting is due to the blade and how much is due to the new guides, but together the result is great.

I mounted up one of the big bowl blanks and proceeded to turn. There were a few cracks visible on the pith side, but the bark side looked pretty clean, so I mounted it backwards of how I normally would and made the bark side the top. With the pith side at the bottom, I was able to turn away most of the cracks. There was one stubborn one that I just couldn't find the bottom to, so I ended it filling it with CA.

Once the sanding was done, I was happy to find the ash had a little bit of curl in it. I was tempted to add some dye on the outside to accentuate the curl, but finally decided it would look just as nice a la natural. It's about 10 1/2" x 3" with a coat of walnut oil.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Roger Chandler
07-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Great form on the bowl, Kathy..........gotta luv the curl in that grain........that one is a standout, and sure to make the sister happy!

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Wow - that's a beauty! Wonderful grain and color! Love the curl! Your sister is going to love this!

Kathy Marshall
07-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Thanks Roger and Steve!
I'm happy with this one and I hope my friend's sister will be happy with it as well.
Now I just need to turn the other blank and see if it's got some curl to it as well.

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Beautiful Kathy and well done.

Rick Markham
07-29-2012, 1:49 AM
Very nice bowl Kathy, very nice shape, and the Ash looks has a very warm tone to it. Congrats on the new guides/ blade on your bandsaw, looks like you found a good way to celebrate!

Michelle Rich
07-29-2012, 6:00 AM
super looking ash...will make a nice fruit bowl

Hayes Rutherford
07-29-2012, 8:37 AM
Great looking bowl. Ash is one of my favorite woods and no need for dye on this one.

Dennis Ford
07-29-2012, 2:09 PM
You really brought out the beauty in that ash, great job!

paul vechart
07-30-2012, 11:15 PM
That is a very nice bowl Kathy...were the wood logs completely dry after 8 months of sitting? If not it looks like the bowl thickness is about a haf inch...would you expect this bowl to crack and or warp at all during the rest of the drying proccess?

Kathy Marshall
07-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone!

Paul, I don't have a moisture meter so i can't say if the logs were completely dry, but it sure turned like dry wood and the curlies were crunchy. I didn't measure the thickness, but it is probably about 1/2" or a little under. As dry as it was, I don't worry about it cracking. I usually turn bowls from very green wood to finish and cracking usually isn't an issue once past the fine surface cracks while turning. It could possibly move slightly but I don't expect much.

Reed Gray
07-31-2012, 3:52 AM
I would be willing to bet the difference with your bandsaw was the blade. I was lucky to have a friend recommend a local blade maker so I got off on the right foot there.

My favorite personal bowl was ash. I bit open grained, but I just loved it. Lasted about 10 years till it developed a ring shake check that I never saw. Nice bowl.

robo hippy

Bob Bergstrom
07-31-2012, 9:17 AM
That is a beautiful honey luster that ash has. I think the rig pores may have been more dominient than the curl if you would have dyed it. The subtle color of the finish seems just right. Great looking form and function

Baxter Smith
07-31-2012, 1:05 PM
Nice curl but great color too Kathy. The couple pieces have have turned have been very light even after the use of AO. Did the Walnut Oil darken it a lot.