PDA

View Full Version : Temp glue up, guestion

Bill Huber
07-28-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a need to do a temp glue up so I can do some routing and match parts exactly, guestion.

Is there any paper that is best paper to use?
Do you use 2 papers or just one?
Does it matter what glue you us?

Steven Hsieh
07-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Any white paper is fine.

Bill Huber
07-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Any white paper is fine.
Just one sheet?

Rich Engelhardt
07-29-2012, 6:12 AM
Just one sheet?
All I've ever used is a single layer of old newspaper and some Elmer's School Glue.

Being the time of year that it is, you should be able to pick up the Elmers for real cheap @ one of the back to school sales.
Possibly for free. I lay in a good supply of the smaller bottles this time of year when it's on sale.
The Elmer's School Glue holds tight and comes off easy with water after I'm done.

Newspaper is thin enough that it's real easy to remove it once the time comes.

I've never had any issue with the newsprint leaving anything on the wood - but - I guess there's always that possibility.

Ralph Boumenot
07-29-2012, 8:26 AM
I always use a brown paper grocery bag and hide glue.

Bill Huber
07-29-2012, 8:26 AM
This was the first time I had ever tried it and it worked just fine, one sheet of printer paper and some yellow glue, did not have any of the glue handy but I will have next time.

Thanks guys.

Rich Engelhardt
07-29-2012, 8:59 AM
This was the first time I had ever tried it
I'm actually quite surprised that this technique is no longer used that much.
40 plus years ago, we used to use it all the time in shop class.
I was sort of surprised when I joined up here 5 years ago that no one seemed to do use it anymore.

The only reason I can think of is most people just grab some two sided tape instead.

Bill Huber
07-29-2012, 9:05 AM
I was sort of surprised when I joined up here 5 years ago that no one seemed to do use it anymore.

The only reason I can think of is most people just grab some two sided tape instead.

I thought about tape but the parts I am using are odd shaped and I was not sure tape would hold the way I was using it and I also thought it was thicker then the paper.

Rich Engelhardt
07-29-2012, 9:33 AM
LOL!
I'm just a cheapskate ;).

Tape costs more - School Glue is quite often free during the Fall super back to school sales.

Steven Hsieh
07-29-2012, 10:05 AM
One sheet is enough. You can sand or planer to get the paper off.

Jim Matthews
07-29-2012, 5:38 PM
I always use a brown paper grocery bag and hide glue.
That sounds right - the clean up should leave a near invisible line, this way.

Alan Lightstone
07-29-2012, 7:30 PM
Can't believe I never thought of this. I always use two-sided tape.

Thanks, guys.

BTW, is it difficult to separate the pieces afterwards (a problem I always have with two-sided tape. How do you do it?

Lee Schierer
07-29-2012, 8:42 PM
I use double sided tape, the thin kind, not the heavy carpet tape. Several strips on the face and then clamped to get a good bond will work well for duplicating parts. Don't use too much tape or you will struggle to get the parts separated after your routing is done. DAMHIKT. I use a thin knife and steady pressure, you could also use a cedar shim once you get a crack started.

Rich Engelhardt
07-30-2012, 5:13 AM
Alan,
A utility knife in the seam & pry a little to start. Once started, switch to a chisel. The paper tears and volia - two pieces.
Wash with a wet cloth or sponge to remove the glue and paper.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-30-2012, 10:03 AM

Maybe some of us (by some of us, I mean me) have never heard of this....

So are you saying that you use regular Elmers school glue to glue parts together with a piece of newspaper between them..... And then they are easy to take apart?

Rich Engelhardt
07-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Yes - I learned this 40 some years ago in high school shop class.
Some places you can use it:

- to put long side pieces on a small piece of stock you want to run through a planer. You glue the long pieces on each side, run through the planer, then pry off the long pieces and wash off the paper & glue.

- attach a scrap piece of wood to the bottom of a piece you wish to turn on a lathe using a faceplate.

- attach a piece of scrap to a piece you need to rip into narrow pieces. You can glue a piece of pine to a piece of. let's say cherry or walnut to make it wider. Then you can rip narrow pieces off the better wood, both safely and getting the maximun number of narrower pieces.

- gluing two or more piece together to use with a pattern bit in a router instead of using two faced tape.

Just about anything/any place you use two faced tape to fasten wood together on a temp basis.

& yes - just plain Elmer's School Glue is plenty strong for this, seperates easily - the paper tears apart, and washes off with water & leaves no traces that wil bother a finish.

Honestly, I'm extremely surprised that this isn't something that's used anymore. I got the impression back in shop class this was a very common practice.
I apologize for taking it for granted that not everyone had heard of it before.

Not too long ago I needed to route a Roman Ogee on a small narrow piece & didn't feel comfortable running such a small piece on the router table.
I just glued it, using a piece of newspaper in betweeen it and a larger piece of scrap, routed it by hand, then seperated it from the larger piece.

Brian Tymchak
07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
I've read that spindle turners that want to turn half /quarter columns will glue up blanks with paper between the pieces. Turn the glueup and then separate the pieces using maybe a chisel at the end of the column. I suspect there are other considerations to take when turning such a glue up. I'd be a little worried about cranking the speed up.

Mike Henderson
07-30-2012, 1:06 PM
I've read that spindle turners that want to turn half /quarter columns will glue up blanks with paper between the pieces. Turn the glueup and then separate the pieces using maybe a chisel at the end of the column. I suspect there are other considerations to take when turning such a glue up. I'd be a little worried about cranking the speed up.
I've turned using this technique and never had any concern that it would come apart. When you see how hard it is to separate you know it's not going to fly apart. I use a chisel on the end in the seam to pry the parts apart. I often use a heavy paper, almost cardboard, however. The fact the pieces are a bit less than half round is not a problem in use.

When you chuck, you need to get the chuck centered *exactly* on the seam(s).

Mike

Jim Rimmer
07-30-2012, 1:28 PM
If you use the Elmer's school glue, how long do you need to let it dry?

Rich Engelhardt
07-30-2012, 2:08 PM
Jim,
I usually let it sit an half hour to an hour.
It depends on how much I spread & what it is I'm gluing together.
Pieces that are face glued for using a pattern bit only need some dabs here and there.
Something that's going to go through the planer, I give it full coverage & let it sit an hour.

I got to wondering about Elmer's School Glue a vouple of years ago:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?142441-How-strong-is-Elmer-s-white-glue

I've been using it around the shop ever since.
I usually treat it the same way I would Titebond or Titebond II - which I still use for the good stuff.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-31-2012, 2:00 PM
I really appreciate all of the responses..... I just learned something very useful...