PDA

View Full Version : US made Nicholson aluminum files?

Gary Herrmann
07-28-2012, 4:37 PM
Not made of aluminum, they're for filing aluminum. My cousin in Chicago is sending me a nearly full box of these. I seem to remember reading somewhere that these also work well on wood. Anyone have any hands on experience with them?

Thanks.

george wilson
07-28-2012, 4:52 PM
I have used them years ago. The ones I used had fairly coarse cut teeth with diagonal grooves in them to break up the chips.

glenn bradley
07-28-2012, 5:46 PM
Right, very coarse but not like a rasp. A repeating pattern of grooves. If sharp they will "float" appropriate material but mine see little use. I have also seen second cut patterns used for aluminum which transfer to wood well as a "fine" file.

george wilson
07-28-2012, 9:17 PM
Actually,I think that might be what's wrong with Mexican Nicholsons: They heard aluminum files being discussed,and are making the new files out of aluminum!!!:):):)

Gary Herrmann
08-02-2012, 7:06 PM
I finally got to try them today. They're Type A aluminum files, if that tells you anything (it doesn't tell me anything). The surface left on pine was similar to a rasp. Somewhere between a medium coarse rasp and my US made 49. If you file over the same area more than once there are no grooves.

If I can find time this weekend, I was going to bevel a corner on a 2by with the different rasps and files I have. I'd like to create a progression of grains for my own education. I'll try and remember to post pics.