PDA

View Full Version : Salt and Pepper Mills

John Spitters
07-28-2012, 3:30 PM
I used the shaftless Crushgrind fittings for these mills, and designed them so that when stored away or set on the table the discharge end of the mill would be up preventing a mess on the table or in the cupboard from the spillage of the salt or pepper.
7" high made of Maple and Walnut the salt mill was bleached to obtain a whiter wood and indicate which would be for salt.
Also by making them only 7" in hight they easily fit in a cupboard.

John

Rick Markham
07-28-2012, 3:50 PM
These are super nice John! I really likie the shape, and the the bleaching on the salt is a nice touch. I especially like the contrasting wood on the bottom! Well done... maybe one day I will get around to making some S&P mills. (If I do, I hope they turn out as nice as these)

Jim Burr
07-28-2012, 4:12 PM
As mentioned elsewhere John...I'd like to see a holly ring on the salt mill. Any pic's of the tops?

John Spitters
07-28-2012, 4:52 PM
I guess that I could always change out the Walnut for Holly on the salt mill as the bottom ring is just the plug for filling the mill, But as I don't have any holly this is the best that I could come up with. :)

Jim Burr
07-28-2012, 7:06 PM
I guess that I could always change out the Walnut for Holly on the salt mill as the bottom ring is just the plug for filling the mill, But as I don't have any holly this is the best that I could come up with. :)
That sir is a pathetic excuse. PM me for a chunk!!

Harry Robinette
07-28-2012, 9:18 PM
great work. I like them

Kathy Marshall
07-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Those look great John! Nice curl in that maple and neat design idea for storage!

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Love the curl!! Also like the size of these! Not only makes storage easier but will be a lot easier for smaller hands!

What did you use for a finish?

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Those are beauties and the curl is awesome.

Michelle Rich
07-29-2012, 6:05 AM
the shape is interesting..for some reason it reminds me of nuclear powerplants...very nice mills..use in good health