PDA

View Full Version : Speakers in Shop

Darrin Davis
07-28-2012, 10:53 AM
I just purchased a bluetooth soundbar and subwoofer for my woodshop. I'm worried about what the fine sawdust might do to them over time. I wouldn't usually worry about something like this getting ruined but this speaker setup is about $350 and I want to make sure they are safe from the elements. One thought was to build a box with black speaker material surrounding it to keep the dust out but I'm worried about heat build up with low air circulation. Maybe a cooling fan?

Any ideas from you guys?

Jamie Buxton
07-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Don't worry about it. Dust hasn't been an issue in music gear since phonograph records went away.

glenn bradley
07-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I have been running my ($50 on clearance) system for nearly 7 years. Sub has a down-firing speaker and the amp/controls. Similar to a sound bar it uses a single satellite with phase-tweaking to simulate multiple sound-points. Just the stock grill cloth has been sufficient.

Kim Gibbens
07-28-2012, 2:58 PM
Don't worry about it. Dust hasn't been an issue in music gear since phonograph records went away.

Well, I would worry about dust. Not necessarily worried about dust in the speaker if it is a sealed box, not ported. But if you have ever worked on electronics that are subject to a large amount of dust you wouldn't make such a blanket statement.
And I am safe to say that you are definitely out of the loop concerning the going away of phonograph records.
I believe the same logic concerning dust on tools would apply to dust on electronics. Dust contains salts that attract moisture, causing rust to develop. Rust is not good for tools or electronics.

I would do whatever is required to keep the dust out of your electronics. Better safe than sorry.

Kim
(pretty deep into vintage audio )

scott spencer
07-28-2012, 3:17 PM
The speakers should handle dust and heat well. It's the electronics that I'd want to keep away from both.

Van Huskey
07-28-2012, 4:59 PM
I don't think there is a definative answer. I have had Vintage receivers (Pioneer and Marantz) that have lived in the shop environment with no issues. I think the longest stint for any of them was about 5 years, but I did open them up and blow out the dust once a year or so (easier with this equipment than yours). I have had ported speakers (AR, Dynaudio, Paradigm) that spent years in the shop also same deal, no failures but they were dusty inside when I opened them up to clean them out. My biggest concern in your case would be the subwoofer. It probably has very open electronics inside it and will actively be moving air in and out of the box constantly and not sure how the electronics of inexpensive imported stuff is going to stand up. My suggestion is find a corner etc in the shop that is the least dusty for the sub since placement is not very critical for a sub anyway and you aren't going to be doing critical listening there anyway. For the sound bar I would also place it with some thought to how dusty the area is and if you are really worried about it just build a speaker cloth "box" to set over it, just make the volume of the "box" 4-5 times the height of the soundbar and you shouldn't have any heat issues. In the end if it were me I would stick them where I wanted them and clean them 1-2 times a year.

Tom Fischer
07-29-2012, 3:30 AM
Yes, think its only the electronics that have the problem with dust (computers too, big time)
I built a box (OSB and some hardwood corners) for my amplifier, under-mounted to a workbench.
I drilled several 1 1/2" holes in the bottom of the OSB box for ventilation.
Hard for the dust to get at the top of the AMP, where it could settle into the vents.
Think it runs OK like that, doesn't seem warm to the touch.
And of course all shop electronics should be on a surge protector.
I lost two TVs some years back in my shop.No Surge Protector. The TVs got fried. But our local power grid is somewhat erratic.
OT, but what seems a very delicate component is the wireless modem. Mine got fried last year during the August Hurricane, WITH a surge protector.

Carl Beckett
07-29-2012, 8:01 AM
I've had problems with mildew ( on the speaker cones) and corrosion ( electronics ) if your shop isn't climate controlled.......

(granted it took a couple years to show up ).

Rich Engelhardt
07-29-2012, 9:41 AM
Dust acts like a blanket and traps heat.

Honestly? In a shop?
Not a lot to worry about there as far as dust is concerned as long as you practice even a small amount of good dust control measures around ths shop.

In my over 20 years of working on computers and printers, I can say hands down. the worst of the worst as far as dust goes, had one thing in common.
Carpeting.

My bet is that your shop is far more dust free than your living room.

Carl Beckett
07-29-2012, 12:20 PM
My bet is that your shop is far more dust free than your living room.

Well, this is a bet I would take. No question. (and my living room DOES have a lot of dust, but nothing compared to my shop..... )

Mike Wilkins
07-31-2012, 9:32 AM
I would not worry about dust affecting a speaker. The cloth grill on the front of the cabinet will protect the speaker. I have a set of speakers I picked up at Best Buy that were on clearance about 6 years ago. Been hanging on the wall since and still functioning as designed. A little dusty but working.

Jeff Duncan
07-31-2012, 10:32 AM
My solution would be to not put expensive stereo equipment in your shop:D

Seriously though, I picked up some used gear of CL for next to nothing and it works fine without me having to worry about dust. As the others have said the speakers are not a problem. The electronics are and that's where I'd focus my attention;)

good luck,
JeffD

John Baranowski
07-31-2012, 11:05 AM
I have a boombox that is over 20 years old that has been in the shop for 10 years and no issues. it is plenty loud enough to be heard even over machines. I don't even think about it other than to turn it on and off.

Ben Martin
07-31-2012, 11:36 AM
First, I would question why you spent $350 on shop speakers, but to each their own! :eek:

Here is the set-up I am installing in my shop:

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343748771&sr=8-1&keywords=lepai

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RMPHMU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

Along with a bluetooth adpater for my phone:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VM1T5S/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

I like the Lepai Amp and took it on a recomendation from friend's due to it being a "sealed" design, not a lot of chance for dust entrance...

http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/04/12/Lepai_Tripath_TA2020A_35190789_02_620x433.jpg

Kyle Iwamoto
07-31-2012, 2:36 PM

Seriously though, I picked up some used gear of CL for next to nothing and it works fine without me having to worry about dust. As the others have said the speakers are not a problem. The electronics are and that's where I'd focus my attention;)

good luck,
JeffD

I'm with JeffD on this. My shop "stereo" is a hand me down. AKA free. I like to listen to what I'm doing, vice loud music..... Background music only. But then, my souped up Dynaco tube amp has been idle for a long time. It's somewhere collecting the dust in my shop.

Van Huskey
07-31-2012, 2:59 PM

good luck,
JeffD

Heah, I won't question 2 Martin shapers and you don't question Dynaudio speakers... ok? ;)

I will point out the speakers are potentially as dust sensitive as the front end (source) and the pre/amp & amp section since they also have electronics in them, a passive crossover in "standard" passive speakers and crossover & amp in a sub. In the OPs case the sound bar has all the pre/amp, amp, crossover and L&R transducers all in one package. In the end unless the OP has very poor dust control in the shop it is doubtful he will have any issues.

John Lifer
07-31-2012, 10:26 PM
My question is why now worry about dust? You should have thought about that b/f plunking down $ for a shop system. If that is where you're determined to use it, I'd not worry about it, just enjoy the music. I keep a cheap radio or mp3 player plugged into a pair of $10 computer speakers. More than enough technology for what should be background music.
Put the speakers on a shelf and the bar/amp in a box if you want.

Tony Leonard
08-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Late to the party, but I have a nice Sharp bookshelf type system in my shop. I built a quick 1/2" mdf box with a door and an open back. I covered the door and the back with speaker cloth I ordered online (very inexpensive). The stereo lives in the box and the speakers are on a shelf where they don't get too much dust (covered from above). That arrangement has worked for several years.

Tony

Myk Rian
08-07-2012, 8:13 PM

Not really. I have a Pioneer PL-71 turntable I'm considering selling.
Bought it new in the 70s.

Jim Neeley
08-07-2012, 8:56 PM
I've kept mine, Myk.. along with about 300 albums from the 70's.. old classic rock... I kept them double-protected in plastic record holders and then a plastic overjacket over the cover ever since and have cleaned them each time before playing. The couple I've tried to play are still in great shape. It was quite an enlightening experience for my (now 21yo) some back when he was about 12... and hadn't ever seen a record.

Jim

James Heisbert
08-08-2012, 3:28 PM
How about placing your stereo in a higher altitude? Just high enough for you to reach it but would make sawdust from entering the electronics.

Gordon Eyre
08-08-2012, 3:43 PM
I have an older Onkyo receiver/amp and woofer and keep it on an enclosed shelf with a grill type cloth cover over the front. The large speakers are on a top shelf in my garage and the std. speaker cloth works fine.

Bill ThompsonNM
08-09-2012, 10:05 PM
In my last shop, I had a 12 volt supply and just used car stereo equipment.... I figured if it would survive my truck it would survive the shop.

Russ D Wood
08-10-2012, 9:10 PM
I have a computer next to my cnc machine and use these guys 'bags' to cover it with no problems. You might want to see if they have something that is close to the size you want. Russ

http://www.computerdust.com/products/cpu_covers.html

Jack Gaskins
08-11-2012, 6:20 PM
Buy an JDS Air Cleaner and then you'll have no worries about your speakers OR your lungs!