PDA

View Full Version : The unofficial SMC Olympics thread

Phil Thien
07-27-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm biased, so I'd like to offer best wishes to team USA.

But good luck to all the Olympians.

I'm most interested in swimming, power lifting, sharpening, gymnastics, shooting, and a bunch of others.

Anyone else?

Anyone have any family/friends competing?

Joe Bradshaw
07-27-2012, 11:22 PM
I like the womens beach volleyball competion

Shawn Pixley
07-27-2012, 11:36 PM
I'll watch the sprints, futball (soccer), fencing, volleyball, and swimming. I wish all the athletes the best. May the spirit of friendly competion be held by all.

Van Huskey
07-28-2012, 6:42 AM
It has started! Good on the Queen for her entrance to the stadium. What I assume was her first jump was a non-tandem, non-static line, parafoil, night time, rotor wing platform, low altitude jump!!!! I think it was about my 40th jump before I did anything like that!! I do know she didn't actually do it!

I have a soft spot for shooting, I like to say I was close to being on the '88 team in 3 position free rifle, truth being there were 8 guys between me and a spot on the 2 man US team. My qualy match had it been in Souel would have only been good for 38th place, slightly out of contention for a medal... :( I suppose it would have been close to an Eric "the Eel" Moussambani performance if that means anything to anyone.

Matt Meiser
07-28-2012, 8:27 AM
I'm sure I'll get dragged into watching gymnastics and diving. But I'll be spending a lot of time working on stuff around the house so maybe not.

Bruce Volden
07-28-2012, 9:43 AM
+1 on what Matt says.

I love the "games" as it will keep my wife glued to the tv and I on the other hand can do fun stuff!

Bruce

Gary Max
07-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Another vote for "Other Things to Do"

Steve Griffin
07-28-2012, 8:00 PM
Watched some of the opening ceremony last night and loved it!

I can't imagine a Cauldron lighting more cool than that. Also enjoyed the fast paced athlete entries with well done commentary to keep it from getting boring. Also liked McCartney, the Pink Floyd music (never would have guessed that would be olympic material 40 years ago...) and of course the all out fireworks. Kudos to NBC for excellent filming and commentary.

We're not big TV people--in fact, we are lucky it's on NBC this year because that's the only channel we get. BUT we'll keep the tube on quite a bit each day for this, though probably not sit down and watch until the very end of the evening. It's also the first olympics that our 4 year old can see, and it's about the only TV we allow him to watch.

Kevin Bourque
07-28-2012, 8:07 PM
The X Games are much more entertaining IMO.

John C Lawson
07-28-2012, 8:20 PM
If you're in the Capital...

I watched some Women's Foil today. Took about half a bout to recover my ability to see and call the action, as best I could on a TV screen. It wasn't bad, but foil interests me least. Looking forward to sabre, which I fenced for about 12 years when I was young.

Jason Roehl
07-28-2012, 8:39 PM
The X Games are much more entertaining IMO.

Only because there's a good chance there will be blood, pain, broken bones and an outside chance of a glorious fatality. ;)

I'll watch some of the Olympics, but next week starts the busiest time of the year for me, so what I watch will likely be quite limited. I also read an article not too long ago about the extent of the celebratory activities in the athlete's Olympic Village following their performances that gave me a sour taste in my mouth.

Bill Huber
07-28-2012, 10:22 PM
I got an app for that.....

I will watch just about any of it, like it all.

Greg Peterson
07-28-2012, 11:45 PM
This is really the best opportunity to see many sports that I would otherwise not get to watch, performed at world class levels, with the separation between medal positions the result of the most minute detail or error. It is simply fascinating to see what the best of the best are capable of doing.

I enjoy basketball, and go to a few games every season. However, I will not likely spend any appreciable time, if any, watching the Olympic basketball games.