PDA

View Full Version : Slow speed grinder recomendation

Jay Jolliffe
07-27-2012, 7:54 PM
Now that I bought the Wolverine grinding jig & the Vari-grind to go with it I need a 8'' grinder....What would you recommend keeping in mind I don't have deep pockets. I don't even have the lathe yet. I haven't been able to go get it yet & I've already spent a extra 200.00 for extras I think I need.

Ryan Mooney
07-27-2012, 8:03 PM
Now that I bought the Wolverine grinding jig & the Vari-grind to go with it I need a 8'' grinder....What would you recommend keeping in mind I don't have deep pockets. I don't even have the lathe yet. I haven't been able to go get it yet & I've already spent a extra 200.00 for extras I think I need.

Find something nicer used (maybe a baldor or ??) if you get lucky or wait for the woodcraft 8" to go on sale. Value wise I think the woodcraft probably still the best deal. Its 10% off this weekend at $113, but I've seen it go as low as $99 (no guarantee it will again of course). The stones that come with it are perfectly adequate if not the best possible.

Joseph M Lary
07-28-2012, 9:16 PM
I bought a delta 8" V speed , its wasn't what I would like to have but it what I could afford. It has worked out so far 3 years now, did a up grade in one wheel after a year . no plans to change.

Jon Nuckles
07-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Second the recommendation on the Woodcraft grinder. If you can find a used Baldor at a good price that would be great, but most sellers recognize that they hold their value and it is hard to find them at a price anywhere close to a new Woodcraft.

Don Geiger
07-29-2012, 7:51 AM
I've set up a lot of grinders for turners. Either the Woodcraft grinder or the Delta variable speed will work well. If you have any problems with vibration and wheel wobble do a search on SMC and you'll find several occasions where I described the procedures to correct these problems.

It's not necessary to spend the $ to buy a Baldor. Besides, they too can suffer from the same problems.

Don Geiger

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-29-2012, 10:39 AM
No matter which one you get or what wheels you buy, you can still expect to have to fiddle around with rotating your bushings or trying several different bushings to get a perfect no bounce, no wobble set up. If you use stone wheels, buy a good truing jig, like Don' Geiger sells and you will get as proficient as you need to be at sharpening. A tiny bit of bounce is irritating but can still allow you to do a good job sharpening. Spend your money on tools, not grinders and your time turning, not fiddling with your grinder and you will learn to turn quickly.
faust

John Keeton
07-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I've set up a lot of grinders for turners. Either the Woodcraft grinder or the Delta variable speed will work well. If you have any problems with vibration and wheel wobble do a search on SMC and you'll find several occasions where I described the procedures to correct these problems.

It's not necessary to spend the $ to buy a Baldor. Besides, they too can suffer from the same problems.

Don GeigerCheck out this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170677-grinder-wobble%21)for Don's specific directions for the correct setup.