PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting...and tedious

Joe Kieve
07-27-2012, 4:48 PM
Saw this on another forum of which I'm a member and thought you might enjoy.

joe

http://youtu.be/t4JdA9zdUeI

Tim Rinehart
07-27-2012, 5:08 PM
Very cool. One of these days I'll get the steel nerves to try one!

Mike Stephens
07-27-2012, 5:52 PM
Bravo

Incredible

My hats off to all the artist.

Thanks for posting.

Van Huskey
07-27-2012, 5:55 PM
Those are very cool!

Steve Vaughan
07-27-2012, 7:18 PM
WOW! Loved the string (I guess?) steady rests! Why I spend all my money, just need some scrap and string. Anyway, incredible work. I wonder how long that thing took?

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-27-2012, 7:20 PM
Attending a demo featuring Jean Francois Escoulen turning one of these things would be a thrill. He just opened a school in France to teach the art. Personally, I can't turn a decent finial so this really amazes me.
faust

Rick Markham
07-27-2012, 10:16 PM
That is super cool! I have this overwhelming urge to try and make one now! Where to get a glass tube that big from... that is the question! :D Awesome, absolutely phenominal!

James Combs
07-27-2012, 10:41 PM
That is super cool! I have this overwhelming urge to try and make one now! Where to get a glass tube that big from... that is the question! :D Awesome, absolutely phenominal!

Amazing to me. I am with Rick, I have the same urge. Rick I don't where to find glas tubes that big but I have seen clear acrylic tubes online. I think I will check them out again.

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2012, 11:09 PM
That is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Wyko
07-27-2012, 11:39 PM
It said video currently not available. Is there another link?

Rick Markham
07-28-2012, 2:54 AM
Amazing to me. I am with Rick, I have the same urge. Rick I don't where to find glas tubes that big but I have seen clear acrylic tubes online. I think I will check them out again.

James, let me know what you find! I'd be interested for sure. I guess it's time to start designing and Making some string steadies!

Bill, it just worked for me! Let me try and embed the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4JdA9zdUeI&feature=youtu.be

Rick Markham
07-28-2012, 4:51 PM
So, I've found a few suppliers that will ship glass tubing of various diameters, and found that they are actually fairly "reasonable" on a piece by piece basis (you have to order a case of 12, which isn't a deal killer) This is something I would like to eventually be able to produce so I'm trying to figure out some logistics, maybe y'all can help. Here's a question, maybe someone has some experience here... All of these glass tubes are a borosilicate glass (I believe the trade name associated with borosilicate glass is Pyrex) Does anyone know what is required to cut a tube of borosilicate glass? I'm assuming since it is a pyrex type glass the only option is a diamond wheel, or is it possible to score and snap. These are all sold in 5 foot lengths.

I realize that this is a question probably best asked in a glass blowers forum of sorts, but it is relevant to our craft (in this sense) and I'm sure I am not the only one here who would be interested in any information that anyone could provide.

Mike Cruz
07-29-2012, 9:56 AM
Veeeeery cool. I just know I'd blow mine up! Or trip and drop it in the glass tube...

Rick Markham
07-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Mine will end far more tragically Mike, I will finally manage to turn a successful one after many many many attempts (I'm sure I will always break them at the very end), cut the glass tube (without cutting myself), get the thing in there in one piece, remove it from the lathe, get the base on it (and the top) then manage to set it up in a place just for it... some short time later (not long enough to enjoy it) the dog will "sweep" it right off of it's special spot with his giant tail... honestly, it will be me knocking it over while stumbling around in the dark... :o