PDA

View Full Version : overhead blade guard ?

Jim McCarty
04-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Does anyone know which issue of Wood magazine had the overhead blade guard with dust collection in it? I have most of the back issues from the past 5 or 6 years. I think I saw one in pictures of Terry Hatfield's shop.

Tom Hamilton
04-09-2005, 3:35 PM
Hi Jim:

You might try a Google and see what you get. I build mine after finding a couple dozen references on Google. The choices are many. Plug in a vac or a DC into the guard and you are safe and dust free.

Best regards, Tom

Dan Owen
04-09-2005, 9:04 PM
I just purchased one from Penn State Industries and it works great. I really don't know how excalibur or any of those other high priced units could work much better. I paid $175.00 for their TS blade guard system and I think most of the others run over $300.00. The Penn State mounts on the floor or ceiling and is a breeze to set up.

craig lapiana
04-09-2005, 9:59 PM
dan how is it when you need to move it out of the way then put it back in place? any type of adjustments required?

thanks

Terry Hatfield
04-09-2005, 9:59 PM
Does anyone know which issue of Wood magazine had the overhead blade guard with dust collection in it? I have most of the back issues from the past 5 or 6 years. I think I saw one in pictures of Terry Hatfield's shop.

Jim,

As far as I know it was never actually in the magazine but rather just a plan available on their website.

Here's the link...

http://woodstore.woodmall.com/tabduscolbon.html

I really like mine.

Terry

CPeter James
04-09-2005, 10:22 PM
I have used the Excalibur guard for about 5 years and really like it. It is attached to my saw table at the end of my 52" fence. If it is in the way, it rotates to the rear of the saw and out of the way, No problem. My other saw was on wheels and the whole assembly (saw, table and router setup) moved as one unit. If you are planning on building your own, use Lexan, not Plexiglass for the cover as the Plexi will shatter into shads if something hits it too hard. The extra leg in the photo is only to take the load off the extra long arm when I don't need the clearance. It is not necessary.

CPeter

Dan Owen
04-10-2005, 3:06 AM
I was able to mount mine from the ceiling and almost center it over the blade. The mechanism allows you to raise and lower the cover as needed with the touch of a finger and the aid of the counterbalance weight. The other method has you attatch it to the end of your extension table and to the floor. The boom is adjustable from left to right and once again lowering and raising the cover is the same process. I can really see no way that it would get in the way or have to be moved. I will say that the ceiling mount is the way to go and it sucks up all that fine table saw dust instantly.

Bart Leetch
04-10-2005, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=CPeter James]"I have used the Excalibur guard" That kinda looks like the Exaktor guard to me. I have one too.

Jim McCarty
04-10-2005, 7:23 PM
I have the 66" Biesemeyer fence and table. Would a commercially made guard be better, or, and this is probably best answered by Terry, would the Wood mag. version be better? My thinking is that I could make the arm any length I wanted. Jim

Terry Hatfield
04-10-2005, 8:06 PM
I have the 66" Biesemeyer fence and table. Would a commercially made guard be better, or, and this is probably best answered by Terry, would the Wood mag. version be better? My thinking is that I could make the arm any length I wanted. Jim

Jim,

Not sure if the Wood one is "better" but you can make it any size you need. I especially like the horizontal arm being hinged in the center. Makes dado cuts and blade changes a snap.

t

Jim McCarty
04-10-2005, 9:55 PM
OK. I'm sold, Terry. I'm going to send away for the plans tomorrow. Thanks to all for their input. You and this site are invaluable. Jim

Jeff Sudmeier
04-11-2005, 8:29 AM
Hey Jim, I sent you a PM.

Bob Johnson
04-11-2005, 11:26 PM
The article appeared in the December 1999 issue #119.

Bob

Jim McCarty
04-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks to all who responded. This is a great group. Jim

Jeff Sudmeier
04-12-2005, 8:23 AM
Good luck in building your Guard! I am glad someone can get use out of the plans I never used :)

JayStPeter
04-12-2005, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=CPeter James]"I have used the Excalibur guard" That kinda looks like the Exaktor guard to me. I have one too.

Bart,
I believe that Exaktor has some roots in Excalibur. I also have a guard that is equivalent to the Exaktor labeled Excalibur. Same model number even. Mine is yellow though.
Overall, I don't like it much. Someday, I'll probably replace it with something homemade. I have some ideas, just not enough time :rolleyes:

Jay

Ron Huisinga
04-19-2005, 5:17 PM
Hello Jim,

Here's a link to a homebrew dust guard by Hugh McNicholl, I had stumbled across this somethis ago and saved the link & article.

http://www.geocities.com/hmcnicholl/bladeguard.html
( So Thanks Hugh! )

Not a bad job at all if you care to DIY. I've had the PSI version and it worked just fine, I was a be lazy and opted for to purchase rather then built.

Here's a link to a pic of when I had it setup with the JEt TS
http://www.huisinga.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=WorkShop&id=DSC00731

Best
Ron

CPeter James
04-19-2005, 5:41 PM
Sorry, in my old age, I got confused. It is an Exaktor, made in Canada. I really do like it and it is easy to remove if need be. I looked at others, but did not like them. I guess that is why they make both chocolate and vanilla.

CPeter