PDA

View Full Version : prototype..need your thoughts

Michelle Rich
07-27-2012, 10:08 AM
A week or so ago I posted a negative space design called Working at Cross purposes. People seemed to like it. I thought maybe I would try to incorporate the reverse spiral in a vase or bowl. this is a prototype on a small vase type vessel. I got overly zealous on my hollowing and at the reversing area I've felt fatter paper!! I quicky hit it with black spray paint, so one could see the crossing affect thru the vessel.
Tell me what you think of the idea. It is awfully hard to do and takes ages, so i thought maybe ya'll would say YEP! or NOPE! and put me out of my misery!!:D

Eric Holmquist
07-27-2012, 10:12 AM
I like the look!

I have not thought about this before and hunted back through your previous work, do you always change direction like you do in the middle?

Not sure if this would affect the look an a good way, but if you are going to change direction, would it work if there was a more golden ratio like relationship between the slot above and below the direction change?

I think you are on an interesting path

Tim Rinehart
07-27-2012, 10:17 AM
I may have to think about it a bit, but the one feature that doesn't translate as well as your other negative space pieces is the reverse work. It's loosely translated here by the backside, but doesn't have the impact as the flat negative space pieces.
If anyone else had done this...I'd say, pretty cool and neat effect looking thru it, but knowing your level of work, this seems to be missing something. I may edit once I figure out what it is!

Michelle Rich
07-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi Eric....no I have only changed direction on the 2 working at cross purposes pieces I shared here last week. This is a total first on a vessel. I have made spiral through vessels before, but none that stopped & reversed direction. As for where to change the direction, yes that would be determined by vessel size & height..as I said, this is a prototype, and imperfect in many ways

Richard Coers
07-27-2012, 10:37 AM
I would prefer smaller cuts. Harvey Fein is the master on that!

Michelle Rich
07-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Hi
richard

yes harvey is quite well known & talented. I have spoken with him many times. He is after me for how to do Escargots go acourtin' ( the piece in my thumbnail)and Working at Cross Purposes. He cannot make what I have made. I loved his work and have always given him credit for the inspiration he gave me with is pieces. He has never made spirals. But he is working on a new homemade machine at present so he can. So at this moment Michelle is the Master of Spirals. And I believe the only person in the world at this time who can make what I have made.
As i said it was a prototype..I just wanted your thoughts on the IDEA, not the particulars

Josh Bowman
07-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Michelle, first of all I like all your work but this one doesn't do much for me. It would be great if I had made it, but to my eye it's a step backwards for your usually "over the top" work .

Michelle Rich
07-27-2012, 11:43 AM
thanks Josh..I have been hemming & hawing over the concept & really want thoughtful opinions..appreciate yours

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Hey Michelle,
You know I am a fan of your work. I also like this one as it now shows. Is it meant to hold something. If so, whatever goes inside will hide the back, taking away from the overall appearance? If it is meant to stay as is, cool. BTY, I didn't get the links you sent.
faust

Michelle Rich
07-27-2012, 1:05 PM
Hi Faust: Nope, not to hold anything..just a prototype to show the reversing sprials. My question is since folks liked the reversing spirals so much on flat work, and they got pick of the day on Wow to prove it...does it translate to vessels? of does it not? In person it looks like floating triangles as one looks thru..hard to photograph. I'm guessing it does not translate as well, but others may see it differently. I have never seen this done, so i wanted thoughtful reactions from folks.

I will attempt to send the links again...

Rick Markham
07-27-2012, 2:35 PM
Michelle, I am going to say YES! Here's why... understanding that this is a prototype, and it is a product of trying an idea that's floating around up in your noggin. It obviously works, it might not (yet) have the desired effect that you are looking for, but I have no doubt that you will have an "AH HA!" moment where it does (and it will end up being totally spectacular like all of your work.) I say keep with it! What happens if you do this with a short wide vessel, a spiral on the top side with the reversing spiral on the bottom side. I bet it would closesly resemble the effects that you achieve in your "flat" negative space spirals. Congrats, on completing a new idea for sure! Oh and I like your prototype :)

Michelle Rich
07-27-2012, 2:55 PM
:-) :-) Rick: Where do I send the check???

Richard Madden
07-27-2012, 3:40 PM
A big YEP from me. Take it and run...you go girl. I'd love to see where this leads.

Michelle Rich
07-28-2012, 6:18 AM
Thanks for your comments & ideas

neil mackay
07-28-2012, 7:34 AM
I have often thought of doing something similar. perhaps less of a predictable rounding at the end of the spirals as it looks a bit machine made. Dunno how you would change that, maybe taper the spirals at each end.

As Rick mentioned a shape change could make all the difference, large central dia with small foot and opening, would greatly accentuate spirals

But I think its well worth pursuing as far as you can go with the concept

Scott Lux
07-28-2012, 8:05 AM
I like the concept, and the piece. Follow the white rabbit!!