PDA

View Full Version : Curly Koa Bowl

Kenny Jacobson
07-27-2012, 1:05 AM
Last year, a lady bought a curly koa pen from me for her husband as a Christmas gift. Apparently he loves it, so she came back to me to commission a piece for their 20th anniversary. I warned her that a large chunk of curly koa was going to be a little pricey, but it was still within her price range.

The gorgeous block of wood sat and stared at me for over a month because I was too afraid to touch it. But I finally got up the nerve, and here is the result.

This pic (below) was snapped in direct (setting) sunlight before I could set up the background. It's my understanding the direct sunlight is usually a no-no, but I really like how the sunlight brought out the rich colors in the piece.

9.5" x 2"

Rick Markham
07-27-2012, 1:31 AM
That's gorgeous Kenny! You definitely did the Koa justice! Can we get a profile shot too :) It looks like a lovely form!

Kenny Jacobson
07-27-2012, 1:41 AM
That's gorgeous Kenny! You definitely did the Koa justice! Can we get a profile shot too :) It looks like a lovely form!
Thanks, Rick! As I was posting this picture (and after I'd already taken down all my photo stuff), I realized I should have taken a profile shot. I'll do that this weekend and post it. :)

Kathy Marshall
07-27-2012, 2:17 AM
That's a gorgeous bowl Kenny! The wood is awesome, and your form shows the wood to great advantage. I'm sure your customer is going to be very happy with it!

Michelle Rich
07-27-2012, 6:21 AM
a gorgeous piece of wood! super job. Yes, do keep the bowl out of direct sun & tell your customer that too.

Deane Allinson
07-27-2012, 7:16 AM
Beautiful piece. Beautiful wood. I have priced or watched pieces of Curly Koa on the auctions sites, they always end up soaring 5x's over any of my limits. I would be a little afraid of it too. Again, great piece.
Deane

Steve Schlumpf
07-27-2012, 8:17 AM
Beautiful bowl Kenny! Amazing how much more color and curl popped out with the sunlight! Your customer is going to love this! Very nice work!

Tim Rinehart
07-27-2012, 8:32 AM
Beautiful bowl Kenny. I think we all have had chunks of wood that sat for a while for similar concerns. You really did this piece well to show off that Koa curl. I suspect the couple will really love it!

Barry Elder
07-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Fiddleback Koa commands very hefty prices and now everyone can see why not much reaches the mainland. A truly outstanding turning of an amazing piece of Koa! You should be very proud, up to the point where your hat no longer fits!!!

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Beautiful bowl and wood Kenny. You definitely did that piece justice.

Kenny Jacobson
07-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind comments! That made my day.

Deane, I picked up the block on ebay and the starting price was already really high and then someone someone else bid on it! At first I was nervous that I was paying too much, then I was afraid I wouldn't get it at all.

Here are some more pics, including some profile shots. The rim was inspired by a bowl I saw by Frank Clarke (500 Wood Bowls, p. 348). It looks traditional to me, and yet I don't seem to see it that often on turned bowls. So I've been doing that to a lot of my bowls lately.

Bill Wyko
07-27-2012, 1:05 PM
Exquisite bowl Kenny. I have some veneer that matches that. It's rare to find wood so beautiful that didn't end up veneer. Well done.

Roger Chandler
07-27-2012, 2:43 PM
Beautiful wood.....love the curl in the grain..........excellent form Kenny..........nice work!

Rick Markham
07-27-2012, 2:45 PM
Kenny, super nice my friend! Thank you for the profile shots. Koa is a special thing, you can certainly see why it was ALWAYS reserved for Hawaiian royalty!

Thomas Canfield
07-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Nice job on a beautiful piece of wood. You did not mention your finish but it looks like some oil was used to bring out the grain. I really like Koa and have brought some back from HI on visits, but most are still waiting for me to be qualified to touch. The Big Island Woodturners have a show usually in March and they have a lot of this incredible wood pieces, and this piece would fit in well.

David DeCristoforo
07-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Awesome curly koa! Great job on the bowl.

Billy Tallant
07-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Beautiful bowl Kenny! That grain pattern is something else. When I looked at your 1st picture, I felt like I was looking at a lake with the sun setting & it was causing the trees to cast shadows upon the lake water.

Jim Burr
07-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Glad you added the extra pic's Kenny...you really rocked that bowl!