PDA

View Full Version : Spring Shop Improvement Projects?

Jim Becker
04-09-2005, 10:08 AM
The grass is growing (!), the birds are singing and "doing the dance"...so...what are you doing this spring to enhance your shop?

My spring project will be to finally get my air system piped in like Bill Grumbine did not long ago. I'm way over due for that. I have my new filters temporarily installed and my auto-drain...draining...now it's time to get serious about the rest of the system. Of course, no good shop project goes unpunished...mine will also include moving the compressor a few feet to where my cyclone filter currently dangles down to bring my closet into code compliance relative to access to the electrical panel. Extending the cyclone outlet/filter isn't hard, but did require $80 in parts...sheesh!

So what's on your spring "shop improvement" list?

Keith Starosta
04-09-2005, 10:17 AM
The vast majority of my Spring is going to be spent in the backyard trying to finish up the landscaping around the pool. Lots of work left to be done!! :eek: My first shop project of the season is going to be a the large deck storage box for all the pool toys.

Keith

Jim O'Dell
04-09-2005, 10:23 AM
My Spring goal is to finish the outside of the shop. I'll be siding the west wall this weekend (I'm taking a break for breakfast, then I'll be back at it). After that I need to do the South wall that will require re-studding the wall, taking the roll up garage door down, raising the header to gain some clearance so I can get my van inside during hail storms, and building swing out doors. Hey Jim B., where can I get the tamper proof swing out hinges you used?

Jim Becker
04-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey Jim B., where can I get the tamper proof swing out hinges you used?

I ordered the door sets that way from the factory...they are pre-hung door units with insulated steel doors, low-E glass and setup to open out. The hinges are the same as normal hinges except the pins are welded in so they cannot be removed. (The reason for that last feature is that the pins are on the outside of the building for those not familiar with them)

Further security comes from dead-bolts in the middle and the top and bottoms get pinned into the header and floor when they are closed and secured. Even if the lock was picked, they still could not be opened without completely destroying the doors...which would require more than just "hand tools"!

Nick Mitchell
04-09-2005, 10:31 AM
I've just acquired (rented) a second 20'x30' shop across the hall from my current 20'x30' shop. So the plan is to use one as a machine only room and the other as a bench,assembly and finishing room. Pretty darn exciting but it's going to be a lot of work. The concrete floor is uneven , cracked and chipped. Looking into pouring some self-leveling gyp-crete.I'll get some pics on Monday and keep track of the progress.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Jim, Good question. I'll be organizing my shop and trying to gain more stoage. I've never gotten my shop organized so everything has a storage place. I don't have a lot of wall space to hang stuff so I'll be building more cabinets I guess. I try to avoid any yard work as much as possible. I'd rather be making sawdust. :)

Corey Hallagan
04-09-2005, 10:47 AM
For me it is lots more remodelling inside the house, at the same time, I would like to get my table saw operational and a mobile cabinet made. That is the big project for me so I can start working on some actuall wood working projects. I have slowly been upgrading some tools etc. in the mean time.

Corey

Jason Tuinstra
04-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Jim, my spring project is going to be building a new shop. We just got a new home and we're gearing up for the final move. I'll have a blank canvas in the new garage to work with. So right now I'm collecting resources so that I do things right. And if the budget permits, I might do some "yellow" accents - gorilla yellow, that is.

Fred Voorhees
04-09-2005, 11:19 AM
A number of things. Jim, you saw the back mud room off of our kitchen where the water heater sits. That small room needs a complete make over and will entail some more closet space hopefully. SWMBO is talking of repainting some rooms - ala - the faux painting techniques we crossed into via the bar room project. Outside, I need to fabricate new doors for the older of my two sheds and next to that one, I need to tear down the older of two firewood storage sheds and build another in its place.

Now, I only need to fit all of that in between the 40 hr./week occupation - going to the Saturday night dirt track racing - watching the NASCAR Nextel racing events on Sunday afternoons with my buddies at the new bar and mowing the abundant lawn area around the house. Oh yeah, of course I have to fit some Sunday morning fishing trips down the Delaware River into the Summer also. Need to justify buying that boat! Have I mentioned that I can't wait for the next eight years to drift past so I can call myself officially "retired"?

Jim Becker
04-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Jim, my spring project is going to be building a new shop. We just got a new home and we're gearing up for the final move. I'll have a blank canvas in the new garage to work with. So right now I'm collecting resources so that I do things right. And if the budget permits, I might do some "yellow" accents - gorilla yellow, that is.

I smell several goats-in-progress there, Jason!! 'Glad you found a place. And just think of all the "design help" you're going to get from the boys and girls at SMC... ;)
------

Fred...but what about the shop? I'm wondering about shop improvements in this thread!! ;) :D

JayStPeter
04-09-2005, 12:00 PM
I plan on finishing up my workbench if I get any shop time this spring. I think I'll be building a deck (but which of 3 different house projects depends on finances). I also plan to get back to my old routine of less WWing during summer, more during winter. A pattern broken by my recent move and shop buildout. By Fall I would like to have one "foul weather" project completed though.

Jay

Corey Hallagan
04-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Hey Fred, I am a dirt track fan to from way back. You live in some prime open wheel country! You an open wheel fan or late model stocks? Of course we have a few good tracks around here for dirt tracking.... Knoxville is just a couple hours away. Been a racing fan since I was a kid watching Petty, Pearson and Allison banging and bashing. Man, what a change.... we went from 2 -3 races a year on wild world of sports to every race televised as well. Young race fans dont know how good it is today! Sorry for the off topic run guys. :)
Corey

Fred Voorhees
04-09-2005, 1:22 PM
------

Fred...but what about the shop? I'm wondering about shop improvements in this thread!! ;) :D
Yeah, I knew that you would say that. Well, if all goes well......and I still have the mental fortitude after all of the other projects, I think the next thing up in the shop is to replace the original benchtop along the South wall of the shop. All thirty or so feet needs to be replaced and mock the 6'X6' workbench with the MDF and hardboard top.

Doug Shepard
04-09-2005, 2:00 PM
Well I'm counting my recent outfeed roller table install as one of my shop improvement projects. Beyond that I think I'm way overdue for weeding through my offcuts again and getting rid of some stuff. It's amazing how many shorts you can accumulate. A good spring cleaning is also in order with broom, air compresser nozzle, re-broom, then mop - or maybe even a pressure wash. After that I'm going to take a good long look at the floor and see if I can talk myself into epoxy coating the floor before starting anymore WW projects.

David Fried
04-09-2005, 3:01 PM
I'm working on sash right now hoping to close up the two large openings on the east and west walls of the shop. After that I need to close up the hole in the wall where a board is missing and replace the floor that rotted out. When that's done I'll finally be able to mount the DC that's been sitting around for a year or so.

Just got the last of the lights up and started installing outlets in anticipation of moving the tools in the garage up to the shop.

I hope to get all that done by the end of the summer so I can concentrate on getting a wood stove installed so that woodworking won't be a seasonal past time.

All this when I'm not working on reroofing the house. That project resumes this weekend!

Corvin Alstot
04-09-2005, 3:54 PM
Beyond that I think I'm way overdue for weeding through my offcuts again and getting rid of some stuff. It's amazing how many shorts you can accumulate. A good spring cleaning is also in order with broom, air compresser nozzle, re-broom, then mop - or maybe even a pressure wash. Doug, just got rid of a lot of offcuts and dust. Being a little tight its hard to let go of a wood but now that its done I wish I was more ruthless at keeping the shop clean.
Next task is to really give the shop a good cleaning and organizing. I think it is more fun to use the shop once it is in order.

Joanne Adler
04-09-2005, 5:59 PM
Mine would include bandsaw upgrade for better dust control and various space-saving projects (like a hand tool cabinet), but I've decided that it's too crowded in my single car garage shop, so my project is now to look for a new home w/ a bigger shop space!

Jim Becker
04-09-2005, 6:04 PM
but I've decided that it's too crowded in my single car garage shop, so my project is now to look for a new home w/ a bigger shop space!

Ooh! ooh! ooh! Now THAT's a shop improvement project!!

Matt Meiser
04-09-2005, 6:06 PM
I've just completed a few shop projects, so I probably won't be doing any more. I had thought about pouring concrete in the back 16x30 area in my barn, but based on the Grizzly order I just placed (see my recent Jointer Pre-Gloat thread) I definitely won't be doing that. Maybe next summer. Part of the reason for that project is to add a finishing area as well as providing a more appropriate area for tractor maintenance, especially installing and removing the mower deck.

We are doing several landscape projects which I got started on today. This will be the second summer in our new house and we need to finish up on neglected outside maintenance that the previous owners didn't do.

Jason Roehl
04-09-2005, 8:19 PM
Well, I started to do a major re-organization (maybe not "re"...:D) last fall, but just didn't make it in there much this winter. However, I scored some free kitchen cabinets this past week from a friend, so I started prepping to put those in today. Tomorrow I should be able to get most of them in. Then it will be closer to "a place for everything", and somewhere along the line, I will try to get "everything in it's place". Then maybe a few motors will finally get to feel some electrons running through their windings again.

Alan Turner
04-09-2005, 8:28 PM
I am finishing up a pair of traditional workbenches, one of which is acommission of sorts, and will be building out my my teaching studio, as soon as the roof is replaced. Blegg, but it must be done.

Jeremy Gibson
04-09-2005, 8:36 PM
Just got back from the Borg making my spring/summer supply purchase. We're painting the house and garage and getting an $80 rebate from Behr. Then I'm rebuilding the old & worn out deck after saving $200 on the $2300 in materials. I'll loosly call the deck a shop project since I'll have to rip some 6" boards to 2.5" on the table saw and may be able to sneek in a new M12 router.

Legitimate shop projects include finishing a box joint jig, adding a UHMW block under my fence to mimic the Bies., attaching the new Wynn filter to the new HF dust collector, and building a right-hand extension table for the saw to also hold the M12.

In between 40 hr./week at work and 10-15 hr./week finishing my degree.

Bart Leetch
04-09-2005, 9:02 PM
"yellow" accents - gorilla yellow, that is...........? :confused:

Jim Becker
04-09-2005, 9:05 PM
"yellow" accents - gorilla yellow, that is...........? :confused:

Oneida's new cyclone, Bart.

lou sansone
04-09-2005, 9:10 PM
Good post jim

1. finish up swapping out band saws. I sold my laguna and should have another cast-iron-asourus arriving this week. Driving to NC tomorrow to pick it up.

2. Finish the 18th century tall case clock 80% done

3. A new semester starts for my young apprentence (15 ) this is our third semester working together. I found that the best way to teach is to both build the same piece. Last semester we chose this little cherry candle stand as a simple piece build. The top is 16" wide ( one board) and is turned on the lathe, both front and back. The column has sliding dovetails where the legs fit into. The legs are sawn out and then shaped by hand. Finish is dye and shellac, rubbed out by hand. I am not sure what we will build this semester.

4. Will be restoring another room in my old house- that always takes me into the work shop for something or another.

Todd Davidson
04-09-2005, 9:27 PM
A complete shop overhaul. Just had my electic service upgraded to 200 amps (can finally run 220!). Kim and I are in the process of tearing down the existing shelves, cabinets, and walls; disassembling our benches, and moving everything into the garage and shed. Over the next 3 weeks we have to have the space cleared out entirely, add some LVLs to the existing beam so we can eliminate a lolly column, and run new wiring for overhead lights before the cement truck arrives with my new floor. Once the floor is poured Kim and I have to frame new walls, sheath 'em, run all new electric (will be bringing in some help with that), convert our machines over to 220, duct in a DC, reinstall cabinets and shelves and tools and get to work on our first sizable commission - a custom wine cellar. Would love to epoxy the floor but I don't think time is going to allow for it. Kim and I both work full time (we're currently remodeling 6 kitchens - making them handicap accessible/ADA compliant) so most of the work upgrading our shop is being done "after work" and on weekends. Fun is....:)

Jim Becker
04-09-2005, 9:30 PM
Jeepers, Todd...so far you get the prize (it's a virtual prize, however, and only exists in our minds!) for the most ambitious spring shop improvement project!! It sounds wonderful, however. Please be sure to document it here as folks, including me, really enjoy seeing things like that develop.

John Miliunas
04-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Complete outside wood storage, try to waterproof floor in finishing area, add some more task lighting and maybe even run another 220V circuit or two. If I can safe enough $$, I'd like to add some more insulation, as well.:cool:

Joe Mioux
04-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Jim, mine has already begun. The ceiling in the garage is drywalled, not taped yet, a new amp 60 subpanel installed two 240 -20 amp seperate circuits (guess what one of them is going to be used for?:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) if that smiley face had fur and long arms...((you get the idea))), four new 110 receptacles and three new fluorescent ceiling lights, and maybe more to come. I have a light meter and will post the before and after results of improved lighting soon.

If I have a good Spring bedding plant business this year, then you can figure on seeing a new jointer and band saw.

Joe

P.S. All that electrical work came about because LOML had the electrician come in and run a circuit for a garbage disposal. Sometimes you just have strike when the iron's hot and the electrcian is in the house:D He didn't get out of the house before I got home to tell him to run the new subpanel.

Pete Harbin
04-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Total Re-Org! I'll be pulling everything out of the shop (2 car garage) and painting. The shop is finished but not painted, so the gray drywall can seem pretty dark. I'll also be building a lumber rack, relocating some of the stationary tools, installing some more lighting, building a clamp cart, and hopefully inviting a large, hairy, sawdust sucking monster to come live in the shop (I hear that I can get one that runs on bananas.) I'm also thinking of rebuilding my main work table. I'd like to add cubbies for all of the handheld power tools, and maybe incorporate Smart Table features.

Of course, that's my list...SWMBO's list may vary slightly, and include things like finishing the tiling and baseboards and landscaping in the backyard. Hmmm...I wonder who's list will carry more weight? :rolleyes:

Pete

Dan Forman
04-10-2005, 5:05 AM
What doesn't need to be done?

I'm setting up a shop in my basement. Need to get most of what is down there now (storage) out in order to make room. Considering painting the walls. One of the previous owners made a feeble attempt at finishing the basement, so there is some brown paneling which does to light what a dust collector does to sawdust. Eventually I should also treat the floor, which is grey in various states of wear at this point.

Wiring is partially done, adding a sub panel to handle 4 dedicated 220 circuits, and probably some 110 as well. Will need to add some lighting eventually, probably rely on movable for now, until I'm sure of what will end up where. An electrician friend of a friend is going to do the the complicated stuff, with the friend and I doing the grunt work of stringing the wires and connecting the outlets.

After adding a cyclone system (hopefully ordering this week), I will have my major power tool acquisitions taken care of. Monday will take delivery of the jointer/planer. Then need to figure out where everything should go to make for the best work flow, so that the dust collector ducting can be designed and installed.

When that is all done, I can start work on a table saw outfeed table, workbench, router table, wood storage, and other shop fixtures and jigs. With that experience under my belt, I will feel prepared to start working on some non shop related projects and eventually building some furniture. So it looks like I should be able to stay out of trouble for a while, unless, like some here, I develop an addiction to handplanes and such.

So other than that, not much on the agenda for shop improvements. :D

Dan

Kelly C. Hanna
04-10-2005, 9:31 AM
I have ordered the 7' rails for my 1023s...sold the slider and will be moving the router table into the extension table of the new rails. Then I have room for more tools! Plan is to get the DC and compressor outside in their own little room this spring. Then drop three new 220's and 8 new 110's in the shop. Then I can put away all these extension cords.

Last step this spring is to remove the middle 3 ceiling joists, remove all the sh*trock in the shop and floor the attic lofts. Two more whirlybirds and maybe a skylight.

It's gonna be a busy spring!!

Brad Hammond
04-10-2005, 6:11 PM
my spring shop improvment is building a house in front of the shop.. lol

i'll take some pics tomorrow for a small gloat. we're raisin walls... yee haw!
cya
brad

Richard Danckaert
04-10-2005, 8:53 PM
I just recently built a new house.With the old place I had a 16'x40' dedicated shop and a 32x56 barn where I stored my collection of wood.With the new place the wood is stored in the garage as well as my stationary tools.I have a room started in my basement(11'x17')for handtool/assembly/finishing use.I just completed a clamp rack and started on some cabinets using the leftover plywood and oak from my kitchen project that seems to be taking forever.Most of my shop stuff are in carboard boxes so it takes a while to find what I need.Next on the list is an assembly table.Don't know when I'll start due to the weather getting nice out and 48000 sq. ft. of grass seed to plant.This is on top of a 65 hour work week.LIFE IS GOOD!!!

Here are a few pics:

Bob Noles
04-10-2005, 9:18 PM
Well Jim,

I guess I will have to use the reverse gear here as I spent all last fall and winter renovating an old firehouse block building on my property built at the turn of the century and converting it to a hobby woodworking shop.

I had all new wiring and circuit box installed with quad outlets every 2 feet, insulated the ceiling, painted the block walls inside and out, new lighting etc. From the outside it looks like an old country store including the checkerboard sitting on top of an old barrel and antique signs plastered all over the front. Still thinking of adding a repo gas pump to really enhance the look. I have been busy acquiring woodworking tools and learning as much as possible from this forum as well as other places. I constructed a five hundred pound multipurpose work bench with vices and I am in the process of building a router table at this time. After that I hope to just relax and learn to make sawdust out there :p

I am just renewing this hobby after putting it down 20 years ago and I am excited to see what creativity is still left in these old bones. My interest leans heavily in router use, but I have about every tool out there anyone could ask for to make this hobby exciting and fruitful.

Excellnt thread, Jim.

Cheers

Jim Becker
04-10-2005, 9:33 PM
I guess I will have to use the reverse gear here as I spent all last fall and winter renovating an old firehouse block building on my property built at the turn of the century and converting it to a hobby woodworking shop.

Ya, know Bob...you really need to do a thread on that conversion for the boys and girls to see! It sounds fascinating!

John Lucas
04-11-2005, 2:08 AM
I am turning my small office into an office/video editing suite. Finally got the new video side computer ($8000) together and almost working right so now to build a nice desk system.
For the shop, building a 2nd DVD shooting area. Then in spare time keep the website going and make three Frank Lloyd Wright style barrel chairs. One in poplar just to set the seat, back and arm chair measurements that one in cherry with resawn and laminated curved pieces and the other using veneer, bending ply and vacuum press. Just curious as to better way.

Maurice Ungaro
04-11-2005, 9:45 AM
HOPEFULLY..........I'll be painting the floor of my shop today. I'm planning on moving my tools in this week (have a weightlifter for a friend who has access to a large truck and a huge trailer!!), but the rain is supposed to be here for Tues., Wed & Thurs. Looks like Friday afternoon is the ticket.

My tool/machine/craftsman guru brother is visiting for a week, and arrives on Monday night. I want so bad to be able to show off the shop space :D !

Dave Brandt
04-11-2005, 9:57 AM
Looks like I'm going in the wrong direction! I spent yesterday yanking the cabinets (from kitcken remodel 15 years ago) out of my "shop" in the basement. Also, removed all of the flex hose that was strung about to service the stationary tools. Still have an awful lot of work ahead, but it's gotta get done before we can put the house on the market. What the heck am I gonna do with all my wood, cut-offs, and stuff!?! Just don't want to move any of it. Probably have several more trips to the dump in store.

Bart Leetch
04-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Hello Jim & All my Sawmill friends.

I started a small shop project yesterday I moved my lathe all 420 LBS of it from the long 24' wall around the corner to the 13' wall. On the 24' wall it had a cabinet over it. Now it will have better head room & light. I moved the 14" band-saw into the area between the cabinet & ari compressor the vacant wall next to the band-saw will have a shelf built on it for my grinders & key cutting machine, my shop vac will go underneath the shelf.

Bob Yarbrough
04-11-2005, 6:36 PM
Dust collector. And maybe a level floor.

Andy Haney
04-11-2005, 6:45 PM
As I still work in the garage SWMBO thinks is for her car, I need to make some room for more efficient operations. I'm in the midst of reconstructing a shed in the back yard for storage of yard and garden equipment, miscellaneous items, seldom used woodworking tools, and lumber.

I'm replacing an 8' x 12' shed with a building 12' x 20'. A 12' x 14' section will be totally weathertight (if I'm lucky). The remaining 6' x 12' will be under roof, but only shaded/protected enough to use for air-drying "finds" that I come across. The cherry I posted last summer is drying at someone else's property, and I plan to bring it home soon. I had posted questions about this for load-bearing requirements.

The enclosed area will incorporate adjustable shelves on 3 walls (junk and lumber storage), and the "trusses" will be built to support overhead storage of dry lumber (possibly my sleeping loft).

Please chime in with any ideas, as the concrete floor is soon to come.

Thanks for listening.
Andy Haney

Bob Johnson2
04-12-2005, 7:14 PM
Will be attempting some wiring as soon as I'm done with some varnishing. W with my 3 recent 220 additions (CS, Planer, and DC) I'm in need of more then 1 socket. The dust collector sits idle when I'm using the planer, not the best of situations.