PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Hollow Form

Mike Cruz
07-26-2012, 9:55 PM
Dale Bright (fellow Creeker) made the comment (when he was watching me turn a HF) that how I do them is a lot of effort to avoid getting/using hollowing tools. Well, take a look see, and you'll see just how much effort I put into hiding the seam on this one!

Form is Walnut. Inlays and finial are Maple Burl and Bubinga. This is my first finial, and though I know it is far from standard/acceptable, it was a first. I've heard that you ought to have drawings when you do them...now I know why! I thought I'd wing it... EEK!

5" or so wide x 4" tall. It is thinner than what I had originally planned because I WAS going to bead it...so I had left it plenty thick for that. But when I decided to do the inlays, I ended up taking it down a bit. So, I would say it is about 1/4" or so at the thickest...I have no idea exactly...you know how I do them...so, who knows! The opening is crazy small...should have taken a pic of that, but I couldn't get my pinky in past the first knuckle.

Bernie Weishapl
07-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Great looking piece Mike. The finial looks good for a first. I do like the inlay.

Roger Chandler
07-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Conceptually..........this is outstanding Mike!...Your inlay work is very nice............that looks like it could take a while to do that! For a first finial.......better than my first by a mile! The form on the body is very good as well..........do I detect a smallish foot on this?

That is truly nice work..........you should be proud of this one........especially that inlay work.........that puts this over the top. Congratulations on a fine hollow form!

Jim Burr
07-26-2012, 11:03 PM
You know I love inlays....so maybe you could share your tips on this one...really cool pattern!

Rick Markham
07-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Good show Mike! I like it. Finials are much easier out of straight grained wood, especially as they get more delicate. As for drawings... "I don't need no stinkin drawr-ins"... I fly by the seat of my pants :D To me that's the fun of it!

David DeCristoforo
07-26-2012, 11:35 PM
There's lots of nits one might pick. But here's one thing that cannot be argued with. You nailed this form. However you made it, whatever one might say about the finial being "far from standard/acceptable", like or not the inlay, the form is soooooo sweet! One might turn hollow forms for a lifetime and not make one with the beautiful flow this one has. OK... maybe just a tinnnnny bit "too flat" at the bottom. But just that and no more. Nicely done.

Kathy Marshall
07-27-2012, 2:27 AM
Great job Mike! As David said, you nailed the form and you did a great job on the inlays. You really went all out to hide the seam and all that work paid off! Finish looks great too!

Mike Cruz
07-27-2012, 5:18 AM
Thanks, everyone! Yes, I am proud of this one. I was really happy with it. There is...a tool mark in the top. You probably can't see it in the pics. Actually, not such a blatant tool mark as a dark ring...I'm sure you all know what I am talking about. I couldn't see it when I was turning and sanding it, but sure did when it was off the lathe.:mad: It is my #1 pet peeve! But oh well.

As for the inlay, it was done with my mortising machine. I just set up the cutter on an angle to make diamonds (of sorts) rather than squares. Then I cut blanks (like thin pen blanks) and glued one in, cut it off, moved to the next one, lather, rinse, repeat... IIRC, there are 35 inlays.

Michelle Rich
07-27-2012, 6:19 AM
very nice job..I have made many 2 piece hollowforms, but never did 35 inlays to hide it! That was adventuresome! I think the finial came out VERY good for a first...mine don't look that good now!

Mike Cruz
07-28-2012, 5:18 PM
Thanks, Michelle. Sorry for the late response... I was away. And I'm sure you finials are BETTER than that one...

Len Mullin
07-28-2012, 6:15 PM
I love it!
Len

neil mackay
07-28-2012, 7:45 PM
Love this one Mike, well done.

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Very nice work Mike! First thing I noticed was the form - spot on! Then I noticed the inlays... now that's different! Looks cool! Finials are always a matter of personal taste and as you create more of them, you will develop a style to your liking.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!