PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly G0490X - What A Difference

Jack Wilson50
07-26-2012, 8:06 PM
Just milled my first boards with my new jointer. Took about half the time as it used to with my 6" Rigid jointer. Plus I didn't have to rip the boards to fit the 6" jointer, bonus. So far, very happy with the purchase.

Paul McGaha
07-26-2012, 8:11 PM
Congratulations Jack,

Looks like a nice jointer.

And you're right, going from a 6" jointer to an 8" jointer is a big deal. Lot bigger tool.

PHM

keith micinski
07-26-2012, 8:51 PM
Dammit Jack, I have been wanting to upgrade my rigid with this option for a year now. I am absurdly jealous and I hope you enjoy it.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Jack.....Congratulations! I have one too and like it!

glenn bradley
07-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Another happy owner here. Enjoy that machine.

david paul miller
07-26-2012, 11:31 PM
another happy owner of same jointer , and happier when I glued and screwed 3/4" mdf to the interior portion of the front and rear access door panels, (biggest pieces i could fit with out blocking air vents,)what a difference in sound. like a 1500# jointer .

Jack Wilson50
07-27-2012, 9:47 PM
David,

Thanks for the info on the MDF, I think I will try that.

Joey Chavez
07-28-2012, 3:48 PM
I almost had myself talked out of buying this jointer then I see this thread! I had bought a 6" convincing myself that is all I'd ever need. Then I found the value of buying rough stock, and I've regretted not getting at least an 8" ever since. A G0490x and a G0453px 15" planer, more power, more capacity, spiral cutters, less noise, both on sale right now and most important of all, the wife said get them you deserve it! So what am I waiting for! I guess I have some guilt in that the Grizzly 6" and the Rigid lunchbox planer are just a little over a year old.

glenn bradley
07-28-2012, 4:15 PM
I had bought a 6" convincing myself that is all I'd ever need.

The words that seem destined to be repeated. I too ignored the words of those who had gone before me. I too lost money on a 6" jointer that was difficult to sell once found to be inadequate because the market is flush with people selling their 6" jointers. Oh, 6" jointer, why doest thou torture us so? :D

larry senen
07-28-2012, 8:22 PM
do you find the handles get in your way ? the one's that stick out of the hand wheels. i think i would have to remove them to get close to the machine. i prefer hand wheels over a lever adjustment because i can count the turns to repeat a cut. but on the side like that make me hesitant.

Jack Wilson50
07-28-2012, 8:40 PM
Larry:

The hand wheels on the side are on the 12" jointer, mine is a parallelagrem model with the levers under the beds.

David Hawxhurst
07-28-2012, 11:13 PM
The words that seem destined to be repeated. I too ignored the words of those who had gone before me. I too lost money on a 6" jointer that was difficult to sell once found to be inadequate because the market is flush with people selling their 6" jointers. Oh, 6" jointer, why doest thou torture us so? :D

i listened and bought a 12" jointer/planer. no regrets.

Kevin W Johnson
07-28-2012, 11:36 PM
another happy owner of same jointer , and happier when I glued and screwed 3/4" mdf to the interior portion of the front and rear access door panels, (biggest pieces i could fit with out blocking air vents,)what a difference in sound. like a 1500# jointer .

I would think sound mat for use in cars would work even better and allow you to cover more of the interior....

david paul miller
07-29-2012, 12:35 AM
I would think sound mat for use in cars would work even better and allow you to cover more of the interior....

Mdf was in my shop and all I was looking to do was stop the access doors from rattling. Now it sounds as good as it cuts.