PDA

View Full Version : Roofing question - Adjuster estimate

Mike Conley
07-26-2012, 7:22 PM
Hopefully someone has some experience with this issue and can give me some advice.

My roof was damaged in the derecho that went through on June 29. The insurance adjuster has determined that the roof needs to be replaced. However, the estimate they prepared is only for shingles with a 60 MPH warranty.

The area I live in requires shingles that are rated for 90 MPH. I contested the estimate because of the 60 MPH shinges that they have included in the estimate. Here is the response I received. Is this response correct?

I wanted to touch base with you regarding your questions on the wind speed issue on the roof. The code in your area states the shingle must meet a wind rating of 90mph (NOT wind warranty by manufacturer). This means that the shingles have an ASTM D3161 Class F rating and have passed wind tests between 110-150mph. I have searched all applicable 3tab 25yr shingle manufacturers that are carried by (name of wholesale company deleted) and they all meet the applicable standards set forth in the local code. So it would appear that the shingle and pricing that was quoted in the estimate will remain as the applicable price.

Gary Max
07-26-2012, 7:48 PM
I would get my own estimate and turn it in to the insurance company.

Bill Bukovec
07-26-2012, 8:31 PM
I would contact the local building inspector and ask him/her to clarify how the shingles are rated.

"Rated" can mean many differrent things.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2012, 9:31 PM
If they listed the brand name and model of the shingles in the estimate. Check them yourself.

It sounds like the manufacturer has manufactured them to the specification required to meet the 90 mph rating but is only warranty them to 60 mph.

Larry Edgerton
07-27-2012, 6:34 AM
OR........

The insurance company is trying to shaft you. Not uncommon at all.

When I used to do this kind of work I had to fight with the insurance companies on the customers behalf constantly. If code says 90, then unlesss you have a really bad policy, that is what they need to be replaced with.

You are not always in good hands.....

Larry

Lee Schierer
07-27-2012, 8:29 AM
If you have records showing what rating in currently on your roof, and you have replacement insurance then speak with your insurance company not the adjuster and see what they will do. If you want the higher rated shingle, what is the added cost, including installation? Building codes are usually for the minimum acceptable level of construction, they do not regulate how far beyond minimum you are allowed to go. Get another estimate or three from some reputable contractors in your area for the level of shingles you are interested in and submit those to your company yourself.

Brian Elfert
07-27-2012, 12:59 PM
What if one had a metal roof that is rated well beyond code requirements? If it did get damaged would the insurance company say we are only paying for inferior roofing that meets code minimums?

Rich Engelhardt
07-27-2012, 2:12 PM
It sounds like the manufacturer has manufactured them to the specification required to meet the 90 mph rating but is only warranty them to 60 mph.
Correct.
Ken has it.
The shingles meet the ASTM D3161 Class F rating required by the code.

Just because the shingles meet the ASTM requirement, the MFG will not warrant them for winds over 60 MPH.

IMHO - it's a moot point. Since you have to replace the whole roof (you do don't you?) you might as well upgrade to a better shingle than a 3 tab 20/25 year shingle anyhow.

Talk to a roofer (or two or three or more) about Architectual (laminated) shingles & how much better they are.

Mike Conley
07-27-2012, 7:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.