PDA

View Full Version : craftsman scroll saw won't come on

christy plumm
07-26-2012, 6:16 PM
I bought a used craftsman motorized 15 inch scroll saw/sanders model # 572.247202,,,,,owner said it worked and tested it,,when I recieved it in the mail, I put the front plate and the table on because they had to take it off to fit in the box,,I installed the blade, noticed the blade was not lined up so as the manual says you can move the arm to allotm/straighten it up,,,turn the switch and it won't turn on,,no humming or anything from the motor,,took the motor part off and vaccumed inside,,(there was some shredded paper from the packing but got that out),,is there something else, I have not had the time to really sit and take it all apart,,just wondering what else to do,,and i don't see anywhere to add oil,,any suggestions about any of this?

Floyd Mah
07-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Check switch, continuity of wiring, condition of brushes (if any). Look to see if there is some inline fusing.

christy plumm
07-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks,,maybe I will take some pics of inside to post too, maybe someone can see something I will not notice,,thanks again

Julie Moriarty
07-27-2012, 3:03 PM
Usually the problem is in the switch. Take off the cover where the switch is located (unplug the saw first) and look at the wiring for any loose connections. If you have a continuity tester, you can test the switch by placing the leads on each of the two wires coming off the switch and turning it on and off. If that works, then you need to make sure the cord is good. You can do that with the continuity tester too. Black wire to narrow blade on the plug, white wire to wide blade and green wire to the ground prong. If all connections are good and the switch works, you have to find out of the motor is getting power. From what you said, it sounds like it isn't.

christy plumm
07-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Just wanted to let yall know that i was planning on spending some time taking it apart and checking things out, I thought i would plug it up one more time and there it came on! Not sure what the deal was but it is working now,,thanks for the replies and if any problems come up I will remember both your recommendations:D